Tangent Thread - December 2015 Edition

Mavric

Sounds like Riley wants to stick with Tommy http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mckewon-mike-riley-stays-upbeat-about-tommy-armstrong-sees-better/article_1bd1494f-6470-5a2e-97a2-2b765077b2e6.html

You add in the struggles against Iowa — when Armstrong made some errors that even his most ardent defenders can’t place on offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf — and it wouldn’t be surprising if Riley took on that distant, matter-of-fact tone of voice coaches take when they want to put a player’s starting job up for grabs.[/size]

Riley does not take that tone and preaches optimism regarding Armstrong. Call it hopeful, call it odd, but Riley said he thinks the coaching staff can make Armstrong a better quarterback and mold the offense a bit more to his talents. And while Riley said there has to be competition in the spring for every job, it’s not as if all the quarterbacks have some clean slate. There will be a pecking order — and Armstrong is atop that order.

“No. 1, Tommy’s our starting quaterback,” Riley said, “and he’ll take the first turns (in the spring).”

No wavering. No proclamation for incoming freshman Patrick O’Brien.

I think I'd just call it the standard response. Unlikely a coach would throw his current starting QB under the bus.

I'm in a 'I'll believe it when I see it' mode with tailoring an offense to suit TA's strengths. I've personally felt they've had ample opportunity to make adjustments to fit his strengths this year and there were moments, even in the Iowa game (12 games into the season), where I felt they were trying to do too many things that didn't help TA. I don't want to set my opinion in stone, but, I'd be a little shocked to see serious changes in their mentalities.

I agree it was probably a standard (and smart) response. Nobody including Riley knows how good POB will be next year. I'm not getting my hopes up for him. I think we'll see TA next season and hopefully some film study over the off season will make him a smarter QB. His mechanics will be about the same. They'll look OK at the start of the season and deteriorate as the season progresses.

Part of me has a feeling this will happen as well, especially in moments of panic. QB's have a tendency to revert to poor mechanics when things don't go according to plan.

Personally, I know there are many reasons people want to see POB start next year, but sitting on the bench and learning isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes it's a great thing. There's a good chance POB may not even be ready to start mentally or physically through the 2016 season and I think that's something we all need to respect. Riley's success may hinge on him ultimately, but POB deserves at least a little breathing room and patience.

Very true. Early on the WR struggled to haul in some catches. I think they got a lot better down the stretch though while Tommy regressed.

Did you really wonder why a stable of mules didn't work when trying to win the Kentucky Derby?

Didn't Callahan V.1 show that a pass happy, West coast style offense not fit I Lincoln?

Looks like Callahan V.2 is doubling down on the stupid.

It wasn't Callahan's offense that got him fired.

One of the great fallacies is that Callahan ran an effective offense. More times than not, it was offensive failures that led to defensive blow ups. Sound familiar? Look at the Purdue game this year.

Did you really wonder why a stable of mules didn't work when trying to win the Kentucky Derby?

Didn't Callahan V.1 show that a pass happy, West coast style offense not fit I Lincoln?

One of the great fallacies is that Callahan ran an effective offense. More times than not, it was offensive failures that led to defensive blow ups. Sound familiar? Look at the Purdue game this year.
Great point. The offense did little in 2007 losses to Missouri, Okie State, and Texas A&M. It wasn't until he decided to pad his stats that the Callahan offense looked "great".
  • Fire 1

His offense was getting better, Joe Ganz had no difficulties running the WCO. He was fired because the defense went to crap. The offense was doing well enough to have a winning season if the defense had just been average instead of horrible.

Great point. The offense did little in 2007 losses to Missouri, Okie State, and Texas A&M. It wasn't until he decided to pad his stats that the Callahan offense looked "great".

It's strange how it's always the same that trash every coach. Prolly called for TO's head a time or two as well. Maybe we should hire you guys and see what type of offensive and defense you would run.

"In my grandpas voice" We have to get back to the option game if we want to win. Give it to the fullback 15 times a game. A forward pass wtf is that??

45_Get_off_My_Lawn.png

• Fire 1

Do you carry a little red mao book too? Go back and look at the stats from the Callahan years and early Bo years. It was the defense stupid....

Do you carry a little red mao book too? Go back and look at the stats from the Callahan years and early Bo years. It was the defense stupid....

Incorrect. Everything was wrong with Callahan V.1. Remember USC?

CM is 100% correct.

It's funny how those that militantly defend Callahan V.2 also seem to wax nostalgic about Billy C.V.1.

It's strange how it's always the same that trash every coach. Prolly called for TO's head a time or two as well. Maybe we should hire you guys and see what type of offensive and defense you would run.

"In my grandpas voice" We have to get back to the option game if we want to win. Give it to the fullback 15 times a game. A forward pass wtf is that??

45_Get_off_My_Lawn.png

Strawman much?

He has trouble with reality sometimes.

One of the great fallacies is that Callahan ran an effective offense. More times than not, it was offensive failures that led to defensive blow ups. Sound familiar? Look at the Purdue game this year. Rl

What about the Purdue game?? We played a backup qb and the rest of the team never got off the plane. Riley runs a fantastic offense if only he had a qb that did not play in hero mode all game long.

One of the great fallacies is that Callahan ran an effective offense. More times than not, it was offensive failures that led to defensive blow ups. Sound familiar? Look at the Purdue game this year. Rl

What about the Purdue game?? We played a backup qb and the rest of the team never got off the plane. Riley runs a fantastic offense if only he had a qb that did not play in hero mode all game long.

Is hero ball the new term we are using?

Ahem.

#1 - No Flaming/Trolling/Defamatory posts

Strong opinions are encouraged, and debated is not only welcomed – it's the main reason the board exists. If what you are considering posting doesn’t advance the issue being discussed – if it’s just taking a “shot” at someone – then either don’t post it, or phrase it in a way that meets the rules. There is absolutely no reason to verbally attack another user (aka flaming), and/or posting a message for the express purpose of generating a negative response (trolling). Any defamatory posts made against HuskerBoard, its representatives, or any other member may result in an immediate ban or temporary account disablement.Posts outside of the general theme of the topic which you are posting within will be moved or deleted.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/page/huskerboard_rules.html

Consider this a warning.

I said "hero mode" try to be more accurate when quoting.

Thanks in advance.

I said "hero mode" try to be more accurate when quoting.

Thanks in advance.

So 2 different QBs play "hero mode?"

Sounds like a coaching issue.