Tangent Thread - December 2015 Edition

Mavric

Did you really wonder why a stable of mules didn't work when trying to win the Kentucky Derby?

Didn't Callahan V.1 show that a pass happy, West coast style offense not fit I Lincoln?

Looks like Callahan V.2 is doubling down on the stupid.

It wasn't Callahan's offense that got him fired.
One of the great fallacies is that Callahan ran an effective offense. More times than not, it was offensive failures that led to defensive blow ups. Sound familiar? Look at the Purdue game this year. Rl

What about the Purdue game?? We played a backup qb and the rest of the team never got off the plane. Riley runs a fantastic offense if only he had a qb that did not play in hero mode all game long.

Is hero ball the new term we are using?

I said "hero mode" try to be more accurate when quoting.

Thanks in advance.

So 2 different QBs play "hero mode?"

Sounds like a coaching issue.

or most likely and uncoachable player issue.

Did you really wonder why a stable of mules didn't work when trying to win the Kentucky Derby?

Didn't Callahan V.1 show that a pass happy, West coast style offense not fit I Lincoln?

One of the great fallacies is that Callahan ran an effective offense. More times than not, it was offensive failures that led to defensive blow ups. Sound familiar? Look at the Purdue game this year. Rl

What about the Purdue game?? We played a backup qb and the rest of the team never got off the plane. Riley runs a fantastic offense if only he had a qb that did not play in hero mode all game long.

Thanks in advance.

Where did I quote you?

Thanks in advance.

Where did I quote you?

WTF?????

There was plenty of room for improvement in Bill Callahan's offense. And in Bo Pelini's offense. And now in Mike Riley's.

But it is utter madness to ignore the huge, historic drop off in the Nebraska defense during most of this stretch.

The defense went out and earned the right to be criticized. No idea why some here take much more comfort blaming the offense.

(I'll save you the time: I understand how offensive turnovers and stalled drives make it tougher on a defense. But that excuses next to nothing in terms of the actual problem)

• Fire 2

Thanks in advance.

So 2 different QBs play "hero mode?"

Sounds like a coaching issue.

or most likely and uncoachable player issue.

It's certainly a coaching issue. And in fairness, Mike Riley has already admitted that Illinois and Purdue weren't his finest moments of coaching.

I think Tommy Armstrong went off the rails on his own. I don't think he's "uncoachable" but I hope he understands that he's "benchable."

Do you carry a little red mao book too? Go back and look at the stats from the Callahan years and early Bo years. It was the defense stupid....

Ahem.

#1 - No Flaming/Trolling/Defamatory posts

There is absolutely no reason to verbally attack another user (aka flaming), and/or posting a message for the express purpose of generating a negative response (trolling).size]

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/page/huskerboard_rules.html

Consider this a warning.

Maybe they were "trolled" into their "flamming"?

One of the great fallacies is that Callahan ran an effective offense. More times than not, it was offensive failures that led to defensive blow ups. Sound familiar? Look at the Purdue game this year.

Do you carry a little red mao book too? Go back and look at the stats from the Callahan years and early Bo years. It was the defense stupid....

Incorrect. Everything was wrong with Callahan V.1. Remember USC?

CM is 100% correct.

It's funny how those that militantly defend Callahan V.2 also seem to wax nostalgic about Billy C.V.1.

Guess you arent interested in facts. shrugs. All you have to do is look.

There was plenty of room for improvement in Bill Callahan's offense. And in Bo Pelini's offense. And now in Mike Riley's.

But it is utter madness to ignore the huge, historic drop off in the Nebraska defense during most of this stretch.

The defense went out and earned the right to be criticized. No idea why some here take much more comfort blaming the offense.

(I'll save you the time: I understand how offensive turnovers and stalled drives make it tougher on a defense. But that excuses next to nothing in terms of the actual problem)

Pelini couldnt stop the run after Crick and Suh left. Case closed.

One of the great fallacies is that Callahan ran an effective offense. More times than not, it was offensive failures that led to defensive blow ups. Sound familiar? Look at the Purdue game this year.

CM is 100% correct.

It's funny how those that militantly defend Callahan V.2 also seem to wax nostalgic about Billy C.V.1.

Callahan's offense was non-existent against anyone with a pulse. All you have to do is look. 1/8 of the points his offense scored in '07 were in the last five minutes of games where he was behind by three TDs or more.

CM is 100% correct.

Callahan's offense was non-existent against anyone with a pulse. All you have to do is look. 1/8 of the points his offense scored in '07 were in the last five minutes of games where he was behind by three TDs or more.

I remember pro-Callahan message board posters defiantly defending Callahan and his offense. The biggest thing they kept on saying was "There is no garbage time!!!"

CM is 100% correct.

I remember pro-Callahan message board posters defiantly defending Callahan and his offense. The biggest thing they kept on saying was "There is no garbage time!!!"

Blast from the past! I remember those guys did NOT like the term "Garbage Time"! But none of them could ever find a game where a team was down by 21 points with 5 minutes to go and came back to win. But Billy C sure did try to score when the other team put in their scrubs.

CM is 100% correct.

Even Osborne's teams were guilty of those late game touchdowns. Why that bum!

When a team loses 5-7 games, it is obvious that a lot of the scoring in the stats column is going to be in the last quarter of games where they are trying to come from behind. That seems like a meaningless point.

it's similar to the complaint that Husker teams rack up stats against weak opponents. Duh....everyone does that. Everyone scores more points against a bad defense than against a good one.

Many times those teams are behind that far in so many games is because the defense couldn't stop anyone.

CM is 100% correct.

Even Osborne's teams were guilty of those late game touchdowns. Why that bum!

I don't think you'll find a case where a TO team scored with less than 5 minutes to go while down by more than 21 points. Partly because he was rarely down by more than 21 points. You'll find a few (very few) cases of a TO team scoring in the last 5 minutes when ahead by more than 21. But yes, I remember 3rd string I-backs busting long TDs in the final seconds a few times.