Offensive Game Planning

Mavric

I had seen the completion percentage stat somewhere before but Sam brought it up again and adds INTs, which is interesting.

» 11: Armstrong’s interception total in the second and third quarters. In the first quarters of games — when Nebraska is presumably still working off a script of its best plays for the week — Armstrong is completing 65.1 percent of his passes and hasn’t thrown an interception. NU has to develop better curveballs for next season.

OWH

TA has 12 INTs for the year. Same number he had last year in basically the same number of attempts.

Sam's point was the first thing I thought of when I saw the completion percentage stat before: When we're working off the script - the plays we practiced, likely in that order - during the week, our passing game works pretty well. When we start having to adjust on the fly, things go downhill in a hurry.

TA's completion percentage is up slightly - one completion every two games - from last year. Yards per attempt and QB rating are down slightly.

I've often wondered where this disconnect is occurring or what the significant contributing factor is. One of his INT's Saturday was a lame duck throw that should've never happened and you would somewhat hope, regardless of play call, a junior QB would be less inclined to make a decision like that.

I've often wondered where this disconnect is occurring or what the significant contributing factor is. One of his INT's Saturday was a lame duck throw that should've never happened and you would somewhat hope, regardless of play call, a junior QB would be less inclined to make a decision like that.

If I recall correctly, Morgan looked like he was behind the coverage on that throw, but Armstrong was nowhere close to getting enough on the ball to complete it to him. Was Morgan too far downfield at that point?

That play seemed pretty uncharacteristic of Armstrong, even given his tendency of trying to go for a home-run when a single would do. It was nowhere close to working.

The reciever was open behind the coverage. I think if Armstrong sets his feet, squares the shoulders and throws it, it may go for a TD. Or at least a jump ball like the other TD when the reciever was open in the endzone but had to wait for the ball forever. Similar throw, poor mechanics while running, but the TD was going to his right so the ball got there. The INT was to his left and it came up short. If Arsmstrong wants to take that sort of risk he needs to stop and set up even if it means taking a big hit afterwards.

I think Armstrong starts off playing very well.

Then he gets too cocky.

It's that simple.

Agreed, he has that Jay cutler, brett favre gun slinger mentality. Then once he throws a pick he let's it bothers him

I'm not sure about that last part.

To his credit, Tommy seems to shake off his interceptions and come out slinging all over again.

He's engineered his miracle comebacks and near comebacks playing his same game, with a bit more urgency, focus and sometimes a bit of luck.

As someone once said about Taylor Martinez: "he has the unique ability to keep both teams in the game"

• Fire 1

If I recall correctly, Morgan looked like he was behind the coverage on that throw, but Armstrong was nowhere close to getting enough on the ball to complete it to him. Was Morgan too far downfield at that point?

That play seemed pretty uncharacteristic of Armstrong, even given his tendency of trying to go for a home-run when a single would do. It was nowhere close to working.

From what I saw, Morgan was not as open as some of the camera angles would lead us to believe. TA was rolling left, which is not his best side when throwing on the run, and Morgan was a good 35-40ish yards down field. I think the deep defender was cheating up in case TA ran but also had a pretty good idea TA wouldn't be able to throw that far down field across his body.

I think Armstrong starts off playing very well.

Then he gets too cocky.

It's that simple.

I don't think that's it.

I think somewhere in the middle of the game, defenses adjust to him. He doesn't pick up on that adjustment and he isn't as effective.

He is very effective in the forth quarter when he has some time to then figure out the defense again.