Reported Sexual Assault at Armstrong's House Under Investigation

Really don't like that Armstrong is talking to a newspaper and implying that the accuser is lying.

And what if she is? It's happened more times than you can imagine. I worked for a criminal defense law firm while I was in college and saw more than a handful of false accusations that absolutely ruined the life of the accused even though it was proved that the girl was lying. I'm not saying that's the case here but it's certainly believable.

• Fire 1

I don't get why Armstrong would agree to answer their questions right now.

Because hopefully he has nothing to hide.

It's still idiotic to talk to a newspaper about it right now.

It looks like Armstrong spoke to the police, who then released his comments to the newspaper.

No, he talked to the newspaper (in addition to the police).

He said police told the three that they wanted to hear their side of the story about what might have happened. “After talking to us, (the police) said you guys should be fine,” Armstrong said.

It looks like Armstrong spoke to the police, who then released his comments to the newspaper.

Still shouldn't talk to the police. If any kind of questionable activity was going on at his residence, he could be deemed responsible.

Rule number 1, now and always:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

Don't talk to the police.

• Fire 4

Really don't like that Armstrong is talking to a newspaper and implying that the accuser is lying.

And what if she is? It's happened more times than you can imagine. I worked for a criminal defense law firm while I was in college and saw more than a handful of false accusations that absolutely ruined the life of the accused even though it was proved that the girl was lying. I'm not saying that's the case here but it's certainly believable.

How do you know what I can imagine? I have no opinion on whether she's lying or not. Armstrong talking to a reporter implying she's lying because someone (his friend) told him it was consensual is not a good idea.

• Fire 1

Still shouldn't talk to the police. If any kind of questionable activity was going on at his residence, he could be deemed responsible.

Yep. Even if you're completely innocent, have nothing to hide, know you didn't do anything wrong. Don't answer questions, don't submit to a search without a warrant. You have rights and it's not a problem to exercise those rights.

Get a lawyer, have representation in the room when you answer questions.

Yep. Even if you're completely innocent, have nothing to hide, know you didn't do anything wrong. Don't answer questions, don't submit to a search without a warrant. You have rights and it's not a problem to exercise those rights.

Get a lawyer, have representation in the room when you answer questions.

No, he talked to the newspaper (in addition to the police).

He said police told the three that they wanted to hear their side of the story about what might have happened. “After talking to us, (the police) said you guys should be fine,” Armstrong said.

Police will agree with you to get you to let your guard down and say something to hang yourself with. Better to not say anything.

The positive I can see from talking is to remove any questions about player involvement. What would the talk be if we only had the headline, "Reported Sexual Assault at Armstrong and Westerkamp's House"? This place would be lighting up even worse with speculation.

I'm guessing that was what was on Armstrong's mind :P

Agreed- Just keep your mouth shut to the press.

Talk to the cops (with a lawyer present) but not the media.

agree, media distortion of the facts is quite common......happens all the time.

Agreed with everything being said here. Bad move to talk to the media and the cops without a lawyer.

With the rash of sexual violence especially involving athletes its possible Tommy panicked to clear himself before anyone could talk some sense into him.

If this event did happen I hope the perp is thrown in jail, if it's a false claims lock that person up

This popped up on my news feed yesterday. I didn't think much of it until now.

UNL student reports rape Sunday morning

Just after 2 a.m. Sunday, a University of Nebraska-Lincoln Police officer was dispatched to a residence near East Campus in regard to a UNL student who reported she was the victim of a sexual assault that recently occurred off campus.

The victim was interviewed; a safety plan was discussed, and she was given information about Voices of Hope and a UNL victim resource guide.

The positive I can see from talking is to remove any questions about player involvement. What would the talk be if we only had the headline, "Reported Sexual Assault at Armstrong and Westerkamp's House"? This place would be lighting up even worse with speculation.

I'm guessing that was what was on Armstrong's mind :P

Haha, do you get the point though? It would be ESPN Breaking News, and a huge distraction. I would love for the Lincoln PD to come out with a statement that no Husker players are suspects.

Not trying to downplay the situation. If an assault did occur, I hope whoever is responsible is punished severely.