Iowa & Nebraska are more similar than you think

I think knapp showed how the programs really aren't the same if we're looking at the last 25+ years. Of course, Nebraska has been down for the last 15 years. During that time span, yes the programs are somewhat similar. It has nothing to do with NU fans being snobby or anything like it. We have had much higher levels of success than Iowa has had. Period. It's not even debatable. They will get their recognition when they attain the heights Nebraska has attained. Don't hold your breath.

Look, I get that Nebraskans are proud of the success that NU has attained in the past. I am super happy that NU won 3 national championships when I was attending UNL in the mid 90s. It was awesome!!!

However, it is snobbish to still rely on those past accomplishments as proof of how great Nebraska is "currently" and that we can't accept Iowa as a rival. NU fans don't want to accept anyone as a rival, really. NU fans didn't take CU seriously, even when CU had a good of a 10-year run as anyone in college football in the late 80s to mid 90s. NU fans didn't want to accept Kansas State was a rival as KSU was making a push in the 90s and early 00's. NU fans didn't want to accept Missouri as a rival in the 00's. NU fans don't want to accept any Big Ten team as a rival, because we think that NU is "above" any of the Big Ten West opponents, even if the record shows that NU isn't. To me, that's snobbish behavior.

• Fire 1

I think knapp showed how the programs really aren't the same if we're looking at the last 25+ years. Of course, Nebraska has been down for the last 15 years. During that time span, yes the programs are somewhat similar. It has nothing to do with NU fans being snobby or anything like it. We have had much higher levels of success than Iowa has had. Period. It's not even debatable. They will get their recognition when they attain the heights Nebraska has attained. Don't hold your breath.

Look, I get that Nebraskans are proud of the success that NU has attained in the past. I am super happy that NU won 3 national championships when I was attending UNL in the mid 90s. It was awesome!!!

However, it is snobbish to still rely on those past accomplishments as proof of how great Nebraska is "currently" and that we can't accept Iowa as a rival. NU fans don't want to accept anyone as a rival, really. NU fans didn't take CU seriously, even when CU had a good of a 10-year run as anyone in college football in the late 80s to mid 90s. NU fans didn't want to accept Kansas State was a rival as KSU was making a push in the 90s and early 00's. NU fans didn't want to accept Missouri as a rival in the 00's. NU fans don't want to accept any Big Ten team as a rival, because we think that NU is "above" any of the Big Ten West opponents, even if the record shows that NU isn't. To me, that's snobbish behavior.

Werent you born in Iowa? Nuff said!

Werent you born in Iowa? Nuff said!

LOL, I was born in Omaha, thank you.

NU had a better record in the 80s, but there could be an argument that NU played in a much weaker Big 8 conference. The weak Big 8 conference allowed NU to get "closer" to National Championships than Iowa did.

Be sure to look up above to see how the Big 8 compared to the Big Ten back then. I'll add one more bit of research here (as I didn't above because I had focused on teams that were contending for the national title):

Total (final AP) top 25 appearances for the Big 8 in that time period: 43

Total (final AP) top 25 appearances for the Big XII in the time period Nebraska was in it: 57

Total for the Big Ten: 39 before Penn State and 66 since (but still before Nebraska joined to make this comparison equal)

NU had a better record in the 80s, but there could be an argument that NU played in a much weaker Big 8 conference. The weak Big 8 conference allowed NU to get "closer" to National Championships than Iowa did.

Be sure to look up above to see how the Big 8 compared to the Big Ten back then. I'll add one more bit of research here (as I didn't above because I had focused on teams that were contending for the national title):

Total (final AP) top 25 appearances for the Big XII in the time period Nebraska was in it: 57

Total for the Big Ten: 39 before Penn State and 66 since (but still before Nebraska joined to make this comparison equal)

Thanks for those facts. I don't mind being proven wrong with facts like that. Cool work.

• Fire 1

Well, we aren't in the Big 8 or the Big 12 anymore. Whether we like it or not, the Big 10 West teams are who we will have to battle for supremacy moving forward. One or several of those series's will likely develop into a rivalry. We aren't there yet, but we will be.

Maybe its Iowa, maybe Wisconsin, maybe Fitz turns NW into a monster. Maybe Minnesota. Whoever it is will have to fight like hell to win its games with Nebraska, and it should make for some fun. Might be like the B12 North where some teams would just have short periods of success like CU, KSU, Mizzery, and even KU.

No matter if Iowa is good or bad in the future, we will probably always dislike them, due to their creepy little fans infiltrating Eastern Nebraska and spewing garbage. They will also continue to dislike us, due to our fans infiltrating Western and Central Iowa, and showing our colors proudly.

Thanks for those facts. I don't mind being proven wrong with facts like that. Cool work.

Thanks for thanks - I figured I should share the site that made it easy:

http://collegepollarchive.com/football/ap/app_final.cfm#.VlX2_b8WIdE

I wasn't sure I'd be able to find it again (having lost my bookmarks not long ago) which is why I was groaning in text up above about having to search through 35 seasons.

For those of you who don't want Iowa to develop into a rivalry, consider this:

Not all rivalries are between teams that consider each other equals.

There are plenty of the "Big brother-Little Brother" type rivalries that generate probably more hate, jealousy, etc. than other rivalries.

Look at Michigan-Michigan State. No matter how much success Dantonio achieves, the shadow of Big Brother seems to steal the spotlight. Pretty frustrating. Michigan doesn't deny the rivalry exists with MSU, they just focus on the other one.

I won't buy that Nebraska and Iowa have been similar programs over the last ~35 years. The differences vastly outweigh the similarities.

I will buy that it's a rivalry, but it's a rivalry that feels very much like a pesky pissing match than anything else. Like two neighbors trying to bicker over whose lawn is greener, when their neighbor down the street clearly has the best lawn in the neighborhood.

Neither team has been very dominant since NU joined the Big Ten and our games haven't had much riding on the line. Both of these teams have been relatively out of conference title contention by the time they've played.

What would make this a real, true rivalry, would be if both teams meet in November with high rankings and a trip to a conference title game on the line. This year that is a very one-sided goal.

• Fire 1

I haven't claimed that Nebraska is "great" currently. In fact I haven't seen anyone making that claim. IMO we've sucked for 15 years. But that does not all of a sudden make Iowa better than they have been. Yeah, the 2 programs are similar over the last 15 years because Iowa has been Iowa and Nebraska has been operating below historical levels. I don't worry about calling someone a rival. I figure the real rivalrys will surface naturally on their own. If Iowa ends up being some sort of rival down the road, so be it. But right now they have less of a claim on being our rival than CU ever had and I still don't count the Buffs as any kind of rival. These things take time to develop and a few blips on the radar screen doesn't change anything. If we ruin Iowa's undefeated season this year, that will sure help this match up on its way to being a rivalry. It takes some heartbreak and hatred to develop these things. The simple fact our records and level of success are similar in the 2000's does not make the two teams any sort of rivals.

The reason Iowa isn't a rival is because we're 3-1 against them. We've only played 4 games in recent years. Call me when the series is tied 7-7, or something.

• Fire 1

Is it "snobbish" to talk about Iowa's BCS wins? Or is it only "snobbish" to talk about Nebraska's past success? Is Iowa Fan not "snobbish" in any way, only Nebraska fan?

I'm trying to understand the rules of this new game we're playing. It's fascinating!

How about I talk up Nebraska's championships and you talk up Iowa's BCS wins and then we toast each others teams and look forward to an awesome game on Friday? (which of course Iowa will win because damnit don't we deserve some love after SI tried to curse us?) I just think we are all snobs when it comes to our teams and there is nothing anyone can do or say to change that.

Is it "snobbish" to talk about Iowa's BCS wins? Or is it only "snobbish" to talk about Nebraska's past success? Is Iowa Fan not "snobbish" in any way, only Nebraska fan?

I'm trying to understand the rules of this new game we're playing. It's fascinating!

How about I talk up Nebraska's championships and you talk up Iowa's BCS wins and then we toast each others teams and look forward to an awesome game on Friday? (which of course Iowa will win because damnit don't we deserve some love after SI tried to curse us?) I just think we are all snobs when it comes to our teams and there is nothing anyone can do or say to change that.

Snobbiness is in the eye of the beholder.

I think that was Socrates. :dunno