Bowl Outlook

I don't agree that Iowa/Ohio State will go if MSU beats Iowa. Not if UNC beats Clemson. If UNC beats Clemson they should go instead of a 2nd Big Ten team. They're ranked 8th now but winning a conference is important to the committee. If they win they'll leapfrog Stanford (2 losses), Ohio State (already shown they can't beat one of the other 3 playoff teams), the loser of Iowa/MSU (already shown they can't beat one of the other 3 playoff teams) and Clemson (team they will have just beaten).

I dunno why Stewie is stating OSU/B1G championship loser will make it as a fact like he actually knows.

If Clemson wins then he's probably right, because how can you put a 2 loss Stanford (thanks Northwestern) into the playoffs? The only other choice besides Ohio State, if UNC loses, is Houston. And they're not a good choice. This year would have been one where an undefeated no name team makes it into the playoff. If Houston hadn't lost they would be in, imo.

Mandel is talking about the Rose Bowl which isn't a playoff bowl this year. I feel that if UNC beats Clemson, they should be in the playoff.

Seems us and Kansas State are the near lock to make a bowl game at 5-7. Sure KSU is 5-6 and has one more game against West Virginia to get to 6 wins outright but regardless they would go at 5-7 as well.

To whatever bowls with the openings, Nebraska and Kansas State have to be very appealing off names alone. Seems Minnesota stands a great shot of getting a bowl as well.

I know some may not want the bowl game from a pride factor of believing we don't deserve it but on the flip side the practice time given, the prestige of going to any bowl game period and the chance for the seniors to play one last game out weighs not going.

Not to mention it is more money added to the B1G bowl pool to dish out. Getting Nebraska and Minnesota bowl games is a plus in that department.

I don't agree that Iowa/Ohio State will go if MSU beats Iowa. Not if UNC beats Clemson. If UNC beats Clemson they should go instead of a 2nd Big Ten team. They're ranked 8th now but winning a conference is important to the committee. If they win they'll leapfrog Stanford (2 losses), Ohio State (already shown they can't beat one of the other 3 playoff teams), the loser of Iowa/MSU (already shown they can't beat one of the other 3 playoff teams) and Clemson (team they will have just beaten).

I dunno why Stewie is stating OSU/B1G championship loser will make it as a fact like he actually knows.

If Clemson wins then he's probably right, because how can you put a 2 loss Stanford (thanks Northwestern) into the playoffs? The only other choice besides Ohio State, if UNC loses, is Houston. And they're not a good choice. This year would have been one where an undefeated no name team makes it into the playoff. If Houston hadn't lost they would be in, imo.

Mandel is talking about the Rose Bowl which isn't a playoff bowl this year. I feel that if UNC beats Clemson, they should be in the playoff.

Oh, lol. It's right there in the tweet. Oops.

• Fire 1

Seems us and Kansas State are the near lock to make a bowl game at 5-7. Sure KSU is 5-6 and has one more game against West Virginia to get to 6 wins outright but regardless they would go at 5-7 as well.

To whatever bowls with the openings, Nebraska and Kansas State have to be very appealing off names alone. Seems Minnesota stands a great shot of getting a bowl as well.

I know some may not want the bowl game from a pride factor of believing we don't deserve it but on the flip side the practice time given, the prestige of going to any bowl game period and the chance for the seniors to play one last game out weighs not going.

Not to mention it is more money added to the B1G bowl pool to dish out. Getting Nebraska and Minnesota bowl games is a plus in that department.

Participation Ribbons for everyone!!!! YAY!!!!!

Oh, how far we have fallen.

Don't hate the playa, hate the game. It's fine if you think there are too many bowl games, But if they are going to have 40 bowl games and not enough 6-win teams to fill them, someone has to play. $$$

Being missed in all of this, isn't the fact of whether we "deserve it" or "earned it"...... that is completely irrelevant !!

For the teams who turn down the bowl, wtf..... Pride my a$$.... Don't you think that Pinkel deserves one more opportunity to coach his team in a fun-filled environment and getting a handful of free stuff.... whether you like Pinkel or not, I say yes !

Back to the first statement.....this is all about getting better ! For all of you guys who think that Nebraska didn't deserve it or earn it (as much as I AGREE this sentiment), the extra 14-15 practices that we get are priceless. This gives the staff a chance to start "weeding out" the so-called players who didn't buy in to the system, as we heard way too much about this season. They can use these practices as auditions for next Spring and the possibly encourage players whom are on the edge of whether to stay or not.

I can't believe that any fan wouldn't want their team to get additional practices to get better. That is completely irrational. Regardless of whether we accept or not, there will be 3-5 teams with a losing record playing and practicing....why not Nebraska? If we get put into the right bowl, we will also have another chance to visit potential recruits via open bowl practices, etc.

And, yes, "this is what we have fallen too".... accept it. The only way out is to keep practicing (via bowl prep) and staying in the public eye for recruiting (via playing in a bowl). Yes, I was alive for the first NC and have been to two of our NC games, so believe me, I understand how far we have dropped...but I also coach for a living and understand what can get accomplished in 15 or so practices when trying to lay down a foundation....especially for a new staff !

• Fire 6

Being missed in all of this, isn't the fact of whether we "deserve it" or "earned it"...... that is completely irrelevant !!

For the teams who turn down the bowl, wtf..... Pride my a$$.... Don't you think that Pinkel deserves one more opportunity to coach his team in a fun-filled environment and getting a handful of free stuff.... whether you like Pinkel or not, I say yes !

Back to the first statement.....this is all about getting better ! For all of you guys who think that Nebraska didn't deserve it or earn it (as much as I AGREE this sentiment), the extra 14-15 practices that we get are priceless. This gives the staff a chance to start "weeding out" the so-called players who didn't buy in to the system, as we heard way too much about this season. They can use these practices as auditions for next Spring and the possibly encourage players whom are on the edge of whether to stay or not.

I can't believe that any fan wouldn't want their team to get additional practices to get better. That is completely irrational. Regardless of whether we accept or not, there will be 3-5 teams with a losing record playing and practicing....why not Nebraska? If we get put into the right bowl, we will also have another chance to visit potential recruits via open bowl practices, etc.

And, yes, "this is what we have fallen too".... accept it. The only way out is to keep practicing (via bowl prep) and staying in the public eye for recruiting (via playing in a bowl). Yes, I was alive for the first NC and have been to two of our NC games, so believe me, I understand how far we have dropped...but I also coach for a living and understand what can get accomplished in 15 or so practices when trying to lay down a foundation....especially for a new staff !

Regarding Pinkel, I think it's the best move for Mizzou to decline the bowl invite. This will allow Pinkel to move on, and focus on his health, and it allows Missouri to move forward with their coaching search and hire a coach ASAP. We saw how last year how weird it can be when a new coach and his staff is named, while the old staff is coaching the team in a bowl game. It really just muddies the waters.

agree, this staff has a long way to go......

Colorado:

Don't disagree with you, but Pinkel could probably be able to be pretty much hands-off and just enjoy the process. I do see how it would effect his assistants as they would probably rather be out trying to find jobs instead of preparing for an irrelevant bowl. On the other hand, their situation is different from Nebraska's last year, because we fired our coach and it was a mess....Mizzou is a sad departure with no hard feelings. I just think that his guys would love to play for him one more time !

Hunter:

I missed you during my time away from the board..ha... I completely agree. This staff has a long way to go, and the more time that they have "hands-on" the better. I haven't been on HB during my season, so I am not sure about your stance on the new staff and it is a discussion for another thread, so I am not sure if you are saying that in a positive way or hinting that they are really bad. I have my opinions, but won't get this thread derailed over that.

Just create 24 more bowls, and that would mean all 127 teams could go to a bowl game, regardless of record, and we'd have to take 1 FCS team to fill the extra slot.

If the Huskers, and any other 5-7 team could benefit from the 15 extra practices, why should they be among the privileged 2/3 of FBS teams? Let everyone get some more practices, let everyone get a handful of freebies, let everyone be in the recruiting eye in different parts of the country.

Purdue vs. Iowa State in the Heating and Cooling Bowl played at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse

Colorado vs. Vanderbilt in the Ketchup Bowl played at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh

UCF vs. Kansas in the Appalachian Mountain Bowl played in Morgantown, WV........now there's two teams that could use 15 more practices to get those 0-12 systems further refined.

Louisiana-Monroe vs. Eastern Michigan in the Rocky Top Bowl, played at Neyland Stadium, that way there would be over 100,000 empty seats

Everyone would be happy, everyone would get the 15 extra practices, everyone would get some TV time. No more of this "rich get richer and poor get poorer" Everyone is equal

I didnt quite fully grasp where Nebraska was until I realized we need San Jose State, Buffalo, and Georgia State to lose....

Sobering.

We got Rileyed.

What are you talking about?, Riley's not used to having to worry about bowl bids. Golly shucks, jeepers, this is exciting.

You are correct, my apologies.

Hip, hip hooray.

Colorado:

Don't disagree with you, but Pinkel could probably be able to be pretty much hands-off and just enjoy the process. I do see how it would effect his assistants as they would probably rather be out trying to find jobs instead of preparing for an irrelevant bowl. On the other hand, their situation is different from Nebraska's last year, because we fired our coach and it was a mess....Mizzou is a sad departure with no hard feelings. I just think that his guys would love to play for him one more time !

Hunter:

I missed you during my time away from the board..ha... I completely agree. This staff has a long way to go, and the more time that they have "hands-on" the better. I haven't been on HB during my season, so I am not sure about your stance on the new staff and it is a discussion for another thread, so I am not sure if you are saying that in a positive way or hinting that they are really bad. I have my opinions, but won't get this thread derailed over that.

good to have you back, the staff seems to be slowly developing better understanding of what works with the kids.....more time spent should help.