What can Tommy Do?

krc1995

How many times do we have to have the "QB mechanics" commentary?

We waited patiently, year by year, for TMart to "improve his mechanics", yada yada yada, and now we're going thru the same deal with TA. He seemed a bit better the first few games this year, but has generally regressed into his old habits. Some of these guys just never get "good mechanics" and I think TA is one of those guys, so I'm not going to hold my breath thinking he is somehow next year going to get "good mechanics" and take us to the next level. What's particularly maddening at this point in his career is that, like TMart, he just throws the ball up for grabs way too often. That just shouldn't be happening for a seasoned junior. With TA, like TM, you live or die by the sword and I don't see that trend--or the "bad mechanics"--changing much, if at all, next year. I think we are seeing, have seen, the best of TA.

We need an athletic QB, not and athlete playing QB. Tommy works hard, is a leader, but too much of a gun slinger mentality, and does not have the talent to back it up.

This staff needs a better player at the position. I have said for three years, Tommy is not the answer for the past staff or this one. I want him to succeed and play well, but it just not possible it seems. He has a cannon for an arm, but his processing of the field and the receivers/defensive backs is just not there. Not to mention this loss is going to hurt him. I do not expect him to be our QB next year. They will go with youth to build what they want.

Man this is going to be a long off season I am afraid. Need to get on the bike and train, stay away a little bit more I think.

I'm with ya skersfan.....time for serious gym work and avoid this site for a while...will likely check in a time or two if we make a bowl...but I'm pretty much out for now. A brief stop in on signing day, maybe one or two visits for spring practice....then back for fall camp. Have a good winter and good workouts..

What Tommy does well is scramble when he feels pressure. Not sure if this is an offensive but it one thing that he does better than some.

I wonder how he would do in an option offense?

They should call the read option much more for TA, but as to pitch options on the edge, I wouldn't want to make a living with him, he's not fast or elusive enough.

URSS said "I don't expect them to change anything. They tried Fyfe and got burned badly so I don't expect them to experiment."

So how did Fyfe flame any worse than Tommy did yesterday? At least 2 of the 5 TOs against Purdue were not his fault. Dod the D not give up 55 points? He got us close in the 4th with accurate passing. I don't get how a 1-game experiment is good enough for everyone to dismiss a kid with a good head on his shoulders. Is it the name Fyfe that you don't like? 'cause Iowa just won in Lincoln with a kid named Beat-hard.

• Fire 1

the biggest thing for tommy would be for him to read the defenses better and go through his progressions. his decision making is much worse than his mechanics. bad footwork can hurt, but it will hurt much less if he can at least throw to the open receivers.

He's a junior, he should be well in the habit of going thru his progressions. Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't. I can't say as I am optimisitc that he will improve much on his mechanics or progressions next year. I think he is what he is at this point.

Wtevr happened to Zack Darlington? He's more a pro style guy, was a 4* recruit, wanted by Urban Meyer and such.

He's one solid hit away from probably having permanent damage. Just an horned scholarship at this point.

isn't everyone 1 solid hit away from permanent damage? maybe we can say his risk is greater? if so i guess he is just an emergency QB to be used only if all other options are out.

There's not much Tommy can do. He's a square peg that's not going to get any rounder this offseason. He's not the kind of QBs that's going to be consistently productive throwing the ball 25+ times a game. We'd better hope POB can ball, otherwise were likely in for another clunker next year. If we cash in another 5-7 season next year, Riley is going to get sh#t canned along with SE, then we're back to the drawing board..

If Tommy really cared about being a Husker, he would admit he's not a good fit for the offense the new coaching staff is trying to run, and do what Braxton Miller did at OSU and take up another position. We have SO many weapons on offense and are not able to consistently get the ball to them because of Armstrong's ability to make plays with his arm.