What can Tommy Do?

krc1995

He has to improve on several things and after a career at QB so far, I don't think one more year will help.

Has a powerful arm that he relies on for everything. That's why he won't change. If the arm wasn't as strong, he would have to be a smarter quarterback from play to play. I mean if he wants to be an efficient QB he has to play like one. Gun slinging and locking on has to stop. Pre snap reads, knowing your check down, making the correct decision with the ball, stepping up into the pocket instead of waggling backwards around the rush ends, and how about seeing the field better? Could do a lot better job leading receivers with passes. Many times these guys get open and don't get the opportunity to run after the catch. He's just throwing the football, not passing it. I think as competitive and gutsy as he is, it's also his downfall. If this was this was basketball, he would be taking three point shots at the wrong time when all the team needs is a layup. Can he change that mentality? After 2 1/2 seasons, he's still the same guy with a lot of games played.

• Fire 1

Transfer.

To a school with a real coaching staff.

Good luck, best wishes kid.

A real coaching staff wouldn't play him. So it's a lose-lose, right?

Touche'

The current clown show staff did play him, no one in their right mind thinks that they are even average coaches.

Chose to play him over who? Fyfe? How'd he do in the Purdue game again?

• Fire 1

He could run more. I doubt if there are more than a couple QBs in the nation that are better at running the ball than Tommy. But passing? There might be 50 QBs better at passing. Maybe more. :facepalm:

There were several times yesterday that he had huge holes and oodles of time. He could have easily ran and slid for 5. But you could see him going methodical(and slowly) through his reads then he would chuck it-sometimes to the other guy and sometimes uncatchable. His vision needs to get better and his options should be limited. So that when he checks the first two and they're not open, he runs. A lot of his game looks like backyard ball too me just chuck it and pray

I would imagine that he's our guy for most of next year. If POB is as awesome as we all want, he should be brought on slowly.

We need to recruit a minimal of two QB's per season. O'Brian is a great pickup and will enroll in December. I'm hoping we find another QB this year as well. I hear the possibility of a Juco which would be ok assuming there will be some attrition in that position. If we get a guy that can make better reads, improved decision making our W-L record will improve dramatically. Not going to happen with TA.

Needs to change his attitude. Saw a tweet that he left practice 30 minutes early after a coach was on him about execution. As a coach, I wouldn't stand for that, especially considering his inconsistencies. He shouldn't have started if he's gonna pull prima donna crap like that. one player is not above the team

• Fire 1

Decision making is the big thing, along with going back to his old habits (throwing off his back foot). On that 4th and 1 in the fourth quarter, it looked like there were several other options other than a 30 yard fade route to a guy not named Calvin Johnson.

Cethan Carter was wide open in the flat for about a 5 yard gain and probably could've scored. It's sh#t like this that costs you games. Even the TV announcers were hammering in to Tommy about his stupid mistakes.

Transfer.

To a school with a real coaching staff.

Good luck, best wishes kid.

A real coaching staff wouldn't play him. So it's a lose-lose, right?

Touche'

The current clown show staff did play him, no one in their right mind thinks that they are even average coaches.

I must not be in my right mind. Isn't Riley's overall record just slightly below .500? Doesn't that make him an about average coach?

Not considering that he was handed the keys to a Cadillac, and promptly drove it right into the ditch.

So you're saying that contexts do matter?

• Fire 1

Tommy has hit his peak. If he isn't capable of making the decision not to throw a 50/50 pass when the team is in field goal range, he never will. If he still doesn't know it's not against the rules to throw the ball out of bounds, he never will. If he still doesn't know taking a sack is better than winging the ball up in the air toward a random spot on the field, he never will. He's had 3 seasons of college football to learn those things. He is not going to learn them now.

Also, I really don't like the comparisons to Martinez. Martinez was never this bad at throwing and at any moment he could score a TD with his legs.

Martinez might not as bad, but he wasn't that far off.

I have the same feeling when Tommy throws his Michael Jordon fade away bomb as when Taylor would drop his back shoulder and heave a prayer.

Tommy clearly cannot and/or refuses to see the entire field, and it's apparent that he cannot break the habits of his bad mechanics. Someone said he was good at read-option, really? He didn't make those reads any better. He's just simply not a very good quarterback.

He'd make a physical wide receiver, if he can swallow his pride and accept that role.

Otherwise, it's time for Tommy to move on, he's clearly at a plateau.

Bring on Patrick O"Brien. I don't think it can get any worse next year, letting a true freshman learn the ropes.

• Fire 1