What can Tommy Do?

krc1995

If Tommy really cared about being a Husker, he would admit he's not a good fit for the offense the new coaching staff is trying to run, and do what Braxton Miller did at OSU and take up another position. We have SO many weapons on offense and are not able to consistently get the ball to them because of Armstrong's ability to make plays with his arm.

That's the thing though. TA is nowhere near the athlete Braxton Miller is. What other position could he play?

If Tommy really cared about being a Husker, he would admit he's not a good fit for the offense the new coaching staff is trying to run, and do what Braxton Miller did at OSU and take up another position. We have SO many weapons on offense and are not able to consistently get the ball to them because of Armstrong's ability to make plays with his arm.

That's the thing though. TA is nowhere near the athlete Braxton Miller is. What other position could he play?

And Braxton Miller's shoulder was shot, he couldn't throw. There wasn't any way he was playing any more QB. And they were in better postion with the backups.

But I think Tommy is a comparable athlete to Miller and could transistion to another spot.

He could be used for the wildcat. He could do jet sweeps I think and catch screen passes. He's a pretty tough guy, so to be honest, he would do better on Defense, but that would be too hard of a switch for just one season.

Tommy has hit his peak. If he isn't capable of making the decision not to throw a 50/50 pass when the team is in field goal range, he never will. If he still doesn't know it's not against the rules to throw the ball out of bounds, he never will. If he still doesn't know taking a sack is better than winging the ball up in the air toward a random spot on the field, he never will. He's had 3 seasons of college football to learn those things. He is not going to learn them now.

Also, I really don't like the comparisons to Martinez. Martinez was never this bad at throwing and at any moment he could score a TD with his legs.

Martinez might not as bad, but he wasn't that far off.

I have the same feeling when Tommy throws his Michael Jordon fade away bomb as when Taylor would drop his back shoulder and heave a prayer.

Without looking it up I believe Martinez had a 57% career completion percentage.

Wtevr happened to Zack Darlington? He's more a pro style guy, was a 4* recruit, wanted by Urban Meyer and such.

He's one solid hit away from probably having permanent damage. Just an horned scholarship at this point.

I don't think that's the case. He's been cleared for contact for two years and played in the spring game. Coaches just don't like him for whatever reason.

Decision making is the big thing, along with going back to his old habits (throwing off his back foot). On that 4th and 1 in the fourth quarter, it looked like there were several other options other than a 30 yard fade route to a guy not named Calvin Johnson.

Cethan Carter was wide open in the flat for about a 5 yard gain and probably could've scored. It's sh#t like this that costs you games. Even the TV announcers were hammering in to Tommy about his stupid mistakes.

This cethan carter was open crap is just that. He was a third or fourth option on a silly play call. In a situation like that, where a d is coming on a 4 and 1 play, a qb doesn't have time to work through three+ progression. He went with where the play was designed to go based on the coverage scheme.

QBs at that level don't "look for and throw to who is open." They throw to who should be in a favorable coverage match up based on pre snap and immediately following snap reads.

That's what made the call so bad; on 2nd and 6, that's not the wrong throw to make. But on 4th and 1, maybe it is (or isn't if completed). Why put that on a QB to sort out, especially if he's as bad as some of you claim?

Awful coaching.

Decision making is the big thing, along with going back to his old habits (throwing off his back foot). On that 4th and 1 in the fourth quarter, it looked like there were several other options other than a 30 yard fade route to a guy not named Calvin Johnson.

Cethan Carter was wide open in the flat for about a 5 yard gain and probably could've scored. It's sh#t like this that costs you games. Even the TV announcers were hammering in to Tommy about his stupid mistakes.

This cethan carter was open crap is just that. He was a third or fourth option on a silly play call. In a situation like that, where a d is coming on a 4 and 1 play, a qb doesn't have time to work through three+ progression. He went with where the play was designed to go based on the coverage scheme.

QBs at that level don't "look for and throw to who is open." They throw to who should be in a favorable coverage match up based on pre snap and immediately following snap reads.

That's what made the call so bad; on 2nd and 6, that's not the wrong throw to make. But on 4th and 1, maybe it is (or isn't if completed). Why put that on a QB to sort out, especially if he's as bad as some of you claim?

Awful coaching.

Serious question: Where do you coach because I want to come watch? You are one of the most knowledgeable football people I've seen on a message board. I enjoy watching football and your team would appear to be a team I would enjoy watching. Well disciplined, hard nosed, perfect football.

Awful coaching.

Is this where the problem is? It was talked about after the first and goal play from the 4 against MSU. The one TA threw into the flat that got killed. It was said to be a run/pass option but TA either read the pre-snap or post-snap wrong. Is TA good at reading those things? I don't think so.

I agree that the fade shouldn't have even been an option in that situation. It reminds me too much of the Illinois run/pass (but don't pass) play.

That doesn't excuse TA for the 2 balls he threw right at the defenders.

Awful coaching.

Awful decision making! The qb should take the safest play to get the first down. That was Carter, Tommy made the worst choice possible and just chucked it like he always does and hoped for the best. He failed his team again.

What can Tommie do? For starters, he can make sure he insulates himself from all of US (me included) idiots that are too emotionally involved in the game of football. I'm guessing he doesn't need to read our stuff to feel bad about himself or his performance. Second, he can hold his head up, keep working hard and face the challenge of POB and all other challengers for his senior year. Finally, he can devote himself to improving his game mentally and mechanically.

The poor dude has more desire to win than many I've seen come through the Husker program. When a guy get recruited, becomes the starter based on his skills and struggles on the field, it is not his fault. (Unless he isn't paying attention in practice, is out partying every night instead of sleeping and just plain gives up). It just simply not his fault. One can only be as good as they are, and if there isn't anyone else on the team that is better, then he has to play. I'd love to see him "get it together" for his senior year for two reasons. One, his game experience and dedication to winning would be valuable. Two it would give POB (or whoever) a year to get a bit of seasoning.

• Fire 1

What can Tommie do? For starters, he can make sure he insulates himself from all of US (me included) idiots that are too emotionally involved in the game of football. I'm guessing he doesn't need to read our stuff to feel bad about himself or his performance. Second, he can hold his head up, keep working hard and face the challenge of POB and all other challengers for his senior year. Finally, he can devote himself to improving his game mentally and mechanically.

The poor dude has more desire to win than many I've seen come through the Husker program. When a guy get recruited, becomes the starter based on his skills and struggles on the field, it is not his fault. (Unless he isn't paying attention in practice, is out partying every night instead of sleeping and just plain gives up). It just simply not his fault. One can only be as good as they are, and if there isn't anyone else on the team that is better, then he has to play. I'd love to see him "get it together" for his senior year for two reasons. One, his game experience and dedication to winning would be valuable. Two it would give POB (or whoever) a year to get a bit of seasoning.

Nailed it Gramps.

Did the lack of scrambling and designed running from TA allow defenses to disguise coverages better this year? Could that be part of the reason for the increase in ints?

Tommy has poor down field vision. Has he completed some down field. Why design an entire game around his weaknesses? Maybe if his options were reduced he wouldn't get so twitchy

Did the lack of scrambling and designed running from TA allow defenses to disguise coverages better this year? Could that be part of the reason for the increase in ints?

Yes. The advantage of a mobile threat at QB is that it forces D to pull a man down from coverage, which means easier/fewer reads and more single coverage.

TA's skill set was grossly mismanaged this season.

Yes. The advantage of a mobile threat at QB is that it forces D to pull a man down from coverage, which means easier/fewer reads and more single coverage.

TA's skill set was grossly mismanaged this season.

TA mismanaged his own skill set. Langsdorf did everything he could to help him. It showed early on and then Tommy reverted back to Hero mode and is directly responsible for losing 4 games.