POB

I think we need to temper our expectations for what POB can do his first year in Riley's offense. Most of the examples people are giving of successful freshman qb's are running a simplified spread offense. Running a pro style offense is much more complicated and usually takes several years to learn.

The last highly recruited qb Riley brought in to run his offense was Sean Mannion (4 star 5.8). His redshirt freshman year was rough,(record was 3 - 9) 18 int to 16 td's. This was with 3 NFL receiver (Brandon cooks, Markus Wheaton, James Rogers). To expect POB to come in and win 8+ games is very optimistic.

I think POB may have a good chance to start later in the season, but not at the beginning. Tommy has been really strange the last few games, his INT's are on the uptick due to one reason I(and many I assume) have observed. He more than likely has been ignoring what Langsdorf wants him to do, he is freelancing with the football. It is like recess except everyone out on the field does their job well, and Tommy just makes a silly mistake because he is short and ignores his coaches. If this is in fact the reason he will be replaced mid season with POB having lots of time to prepare. Record does not matter in my opinion to replace Armstrong unless we are undefeated heading past the midway point.

A true frosh becoming a starting QB is very rare. Has to be something real special. The only frosh QB I can recall taking over the starting role @ NU in 50+ years was Touchdown Tommie(may have been a RSFrosh), and we was special. I doubt POB is that special.

OMG,,,does anyone think RIley is an idiot. Double or triple down, get some Juco's. Tommy talks a great talk but his 36 picks in 31 speaks volumes.

Thread Note: The conversation strayed pretty far off the POB topic. Arguments about Callahan and the West Coast Offense? These are fine conversations to have, but not in this thread. Feel free to continue them in the Tangent thread: LINK Carry on.

Edited by NUance
I moved a bunch of unrelated posts that had been above this post to the Tangent thread.
  • Fire 1

Thread Note: The conversation strayed pretty far off the POB topic. Arguments about Callahan and the West Coast Offense? These are fine conversations to have, but not in this thread. Feel free to continue them in the Tangent thread: LINK Carry on.

I don't mean to be a pain in the ass, NUance, but I'm going to quote a post I made that was moved to the tangent thread because I believe it still directly correlates to the discussion and had nothing to do with Bill Callahan or the WCO.

Part of me has a feeling this will happen as well, especially in moments of panic. QB's have a tendency to revert to poor mechanics when things don't go according to plan.

Personally, I know there are many reasons people want to see POB start next year, but sitting on the bench and learning isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes it's a great thing. There's a good chance POB may not even be ready to start mentally or physically through the 2016 season and I think that's something we all need to respect. Riley's success may hinge on him ultimately, but POB deserves at least a little breathing room and patience.

Yeah. So now there's a post on this thread that questions my understanding of the West Coast Offense, but my totally awesome response is on another thread.

Why can't we just accept that the topic on every thread will wander wherever the discussion of Nebraska football takes us? It's how conversation works.

No one is shocked and confused to find the OP has taken on a life of its own.

• Fire 3

I think we need to temper our expectations for what POB can do his first year in Riley's offense. Most of the examples people are giving of successful freshman qb's are running a simplified spread offense. Running a pro style offense is much more complicated and usually takes several years to learn.

The last highly recruited qb Riley brought in to run his offense was Sean Mannion (4 star 5.8). His redshirt freshman year was rough,(record was 3 - 9) 18 int to 16 td's. This was with 3 NFL receiver (Brandon cooks, Markus Wheaton, James Rogers). To expect POB to come in and win 8+ games is very optimistic.

Wait wait wait. Are you trying to tell me that a future NFL qb also threw picks during his first year in this system? It wasn't just a "mule" that Riley inherited?

That doesn't align with the propaganda. Going to be interesting see how some folks rewrite that history.

Wait wait wait. Are you trying to tell me that a future NFL qb also threw picks during his first year in this system? It wasn't just a "mule" that Riley inherited?

That doesn't align with the propaganda. Going to be interesting see how some folks rewrite that history.

You know what's not going to be interesting?

Your next post.

• Fire 9

Yeah. So now there's a post on this thread that questions my understanding of the West Coast Offense, but my totally awesome response is on another thread.

Why can't we just accept that the topic on every thread will wander wherever the discussion of Nebraska football takes us? It's how conversation works.

+1

This is one of the most ridiculous things about message boards, the demand to stay on topic. Normal human conversation doesn't stay on one topic for long. How many times has each of us said to someone, "how the heck did we get to this topic from the original topic"?

Every time I see this sort of thing on message boards I have to laugh at the stupidity of trying to keep human conversation from drifting from one topic to the next.

Your next post.

The truth is often uninteresting to those who don't like the sound of it.

+1

This is one of the most ridiculous things about message boards, the demand to stay on topic. Normal human conversation doesn't stay on one topic for long. How many times has each of us said to someone, "how the heck did we get to this topic from the original topic"?

Every time I see this sort of thing on message boards I have to laugh at the stupidity of trying to keep human conversation from drifting from one topic to the next.

Agreed. That said, I do agree with general policing of topics. I do think if people are hijacking threads to discuss something already being talked about in another thread then fine - merge the thread.

The problem, however, and I do feel sorry for the MODS/ADMINS a bit on this one, is there have been a lot of complaints about threads straying off topic because of the coaching staff. People, rightfully, think everything keeps reverting back to how much "Riley sucks." The HB leaders are trying to appease those requests while also trying to apply 'staying on topic' to other threads getting out of control.

• Fire 1

Your next post.

:laughpound