1620 Morning Show

teachercd

I watched every single game and I don't remember seeing that once.

I would count kneeling on the ground and pounding his fists in the turf after a bad play as being "pissy". I have seen that a few or more times. But some people see that as fire or passion or some such other, so that is an opinion type thing.

I'm curious how many of the people who reflexively say we should accept a bowl invite are taking for granted we will win that game.

Because it seems to me that a loss to a middling team in a forgettable bowl--a real possibility with this team--might just be the straw that breaks this camel's back if there are as many players not on board with this staff as we've been led to believe. There is some wisdom to taking a knee on this disaster of a season and letting the healing begin.

I'm curious how many of the people who reflexively say we should accept a bowl invite are taking for granted we will win that game.

Because it seems to me that a loss to a middling team in a forgettable bowl--a real possibility with this team--might just be the straw that breaks this camel's back if there are as many players not on board with this staff as we've been led to believe. There is some wisdom to taking a knee on this disaster of a season and letting the healing begin.

5-8 is not any different to me than 5-7. I am not fearful of a loss but I think the benefit of additional practice way outweighs the negatives.

We've already lost 7. What difference would #8 make?

I love Tommy the player and the leadership, etc he brings to the table. But I don't see how you can watch his play over the course of this year and not question his willingness to be coached.

The home run is far, far too appealing to him. And improvising does pay off now and again. I don't think it's anybody's fault, but I'm certain it drives the coaches nuts. He just hasn't had anyone to seriously challenge him, and he's had a ton of other stuff on his plate in this first year in a new system. IMO, it was either unwilling or unable to this year, and both can change.

He may not have anybody to challenge him as a senior, either. But the incoming guy/s will have something to say about that.

I get annoyed when TA comes of the field after an Int or some other bad play and Langsdorf and/or MR are there to meet him to discuss what Tommy saw or what he didn't see(other teams guy), and he cant stand there and look the coaches in the eye and talk like an grown ass man and leader he is suppose to be. Instead too often I see him turning back and barking something at the coaches while walking away to go sulk. Stand there eye to eye with the coaches and get it figured out. The body language is that of what I used to see from Ryan Leaf. Now im not saying he is Ryan Leaf just that this particular habit he has when coming off the field on these occasions reminds me of him. Maybe im the only one seeing this. But after I recognized it the first time, I watch for it every time, and more often than not the pissy body language thing happens.

In fact, I specifically remember him coming off the field in this game and standing three talking to Langsdorf specifically about what he saw and what went wrong....you know....eye to eye....man to man.

I rewatched each pick of the Iowa game and didn't see that either.

One of the main reasons that the '05 recruiting class was strong was that the coaching staff didn't have to worry about pesky coaching tasks when they could be out begging kids to come to NU to "fix the team."

Maybe this staff would rather just do that.

Have those who watch practice regularly come out and said this team doesn't do enough full speed and full contact practices/drills? This was a similar gripe under Bo Pelini, but, I've never seen it factually stated in an article outside of off-hand comments from radio personalities like DB. Can anyone point me to an article or statement about this? I hear this all time the time but I've personally never seen or heard anyone back it up. Perhaps, admittedly, I've missed it.

I can round up a couple of dozen replays from actual games showing poor angles of pursuit and some pretty wimpy tackling, maybe No. 24 on both of Canzeri's TD runs. But that doesn't mean that just because bad technique shows up in a game that it isn't stressed in practice, just that it needs to be practiced more...or better...or something...

Now that is something I've seen, too; but, as you mention, is that simply a product of poor practice techniques, poor understanding of the schemes, lack of talent, all of the above, some of the above?

Poor pursuit angles and tackling have been complaints around here for years, pretty much ever since those talented '09 and '10 defenses left. The response I've now heard multiple times over the years goes back to failures in practice. Yet, I can't readily recall ever seeing an article or quote about this being even remotely true - I've almost exclusively heard it from people making off-hand comments here or on radio programs.

My point is I'm not fully buying that it's a practice problem. Every single program is practicing under the same restrictions. I won't completely dismiss the notion, but it didn't seem to be a problem around here under Bo until the talent dropped off.

I see where you are coming from, but this team lost to Purdue. Could there be a worse loss, or one that is meaningfully different anyway?

• Fire 1

I can't believe he'd listen to Armstrong's press conference and then go question Armstrong's willingness to be coached.

Probably because he watched Armstrong's season?... :dunno
Or the fact Tommy walked out of practice because Langsdorf was on him about execution.

There's a lot of risk in relying on Twitter reporting.

I love Tommy the player and the leadership, etc he brings to the table. But I don't see how you can watch his play over the course of this year and not question his willingness to be coached.

The home run is far, far too appealing to him. And improvising does pay off now and again. I don't think it's anybody's fault, but I'm certain it drives the coaches nuts. He just hasn't had anyone to seriously challenge him, and he's had a ton of other stuff on his plate in this first year in a new system. IMO, it was either unwilling or unable to this year, and both can change.

He may not have anybody to challenge him as a senior, either. But the incoming guy/s will have something to say about that.

I get annoyed when TA comes of the field after an Int or some other bad play and Langsdorf and/or MR are there to meet him to discuss what Tommy saw or what he didn't see(other teams guy), and he cant stand there and look the coaches in the eye and talk like an grown ass man and leader he is suppose to be. Instead too often I see him turning back and barking something at the coaches while walking away to go sulk. Stand there eye to eye with the coaches and get it figured out. The body language is that of what I used to see from Ryan Leaf. Now im not saying he is Ryan Leaf just that this particular habit he has when coming off the field on these occasions reminds me of him. Maybe im the only one seeing this. But after I recognized it the first time, I watch for it every time, and more often than not the pissy body language thing happens.

In fact, I specifically remember him coming off the field in this game and standing three talking to Langsdorf specifically about what he saw and what went wrong....you know....eye to eye....man to man.

Count mentioned the same thing Jarvis did. On the first int against Iowa, he walked off the field and Langsdorf was there to meet him and Tommy just walked by while Langsdorf was trying to tell him something.

Count mentioned the same thing Jarvis did. On the first int against Iowa, he walked off the field and Langsdorf was there to meet him and Tommy just walked by while Langsdorf was trying to tell him something.

That's simply not true. Look at the replay. He stops. Listens. Then walks on.

• Fire 1

Soo.. MR, who ignored TO's advice about running the ball and Midwest weather, is going to scrap his "formula for success" to take advice from an abysmal local HS coach/radio troll? :laughpound

Extra practices will yield dividends in the future...umm, about how many practices do you think they got between the Rutgers game and the Iowa game? Seemed effective to me. :waste

How significant would potentially going 5-8 be? Well, in this day and age not many teams get 13 chances to thrash about on national television in a puddle of their own misery. But hey, at the end of the game we get another "Riley Post-game Presser". Maybe we can get James Taylor to do a duet with MR and salve the wounded soul of HuskerNation? :thumbs

• Fire 2

I can't believe he'd listen to Armstrong's press conference and then go question Armstrong's willingness to be coached.

Or the fact Tommy walked out of practice because Langsdorf was on him about execution.
Fair enough, I havnt seen it anywhere but twitter. If you have heard different say so.

I listen to 1620 ALOT. I don't always agree but have to remind myself, they are 'on air' for ratings. agreeing with everything and everyone doesn't drive the rating bus! I go back and forth from agreeing 100% to disagreeing 100%. Still heads and tails above any other sports talk shows in this area. The national boys get old fast! I didn't use to like michael severe but have even now seen him in a different light and go over to his show on the interweb to hear his opinions! matt schik and kevin kugler were both topnotch!

Fair enough, I havnt seen it anywhere but twitter. If you have heard different say so.

Benning confirmed it this morning