Until NU gets this fixed, we aren't going anywhere fast

On offense, two of our recent quarterbacks....Armstrong and Martinez....each turned the ball over too much.

I'm not a fan of Riley's offense. 40+ pass attempts per game is going to lend itself to interceptions.....not to mention the frustrations of incompletions on 3rd and short.

On defense, the Riley pass defense is not going to get many interceptions, so better hope it can cause a fumble or two. Pelini pass defenses could usually be counted on for some interceptions.

I think Pelini had the right idea with Martinez at quarterback.....it's just a shame he was so turnover prone.

Is that really any worse than a run getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage on 3rd and short?

Yes

BS.

There are screams coming from virtually every direction.....fans and media......for Riley's offense to establish the running game, especially on short distance 3rd downs.

Why would you want to do the smart thing and run on 3rd or 4th and 1 when you can hurl a 30-40 yd fade route down the field instead?

I just watched Alabama convert a 4th and 2 with a roll out play action pass to the flats. Play calling wasn't the issue vs. Iowa. Tommy had Cethan Carter (TE) wide open on the play. Tommy's lack of vision and ability to check down prevented us from converting on that 4th down. He just made a terrible decision and everyone knows it.

Yeah, saw that. Well, earlier in the game, a TA pass out to the flat ended up in a pick 6. I don't trust TA passing on 4th and 1. Run the ball.

On offense, two of our recent quarterbacks....Armstrong and Martinez....each turned the ball over too much.

I'm not a fan of Riley's offense. 40+ pass attempts per game is going to lend itself to interceptions.....not to mention the frustrations of incompletions on 3rd and short.

On defense, the Riley pass defense is not going to get many interceptions, so better hope it can cause a fumble or two. Pelini pass defenses could usually be counted on for some interceptions.

I think Pelini had the right idea with Martinez at quarterback.....it's just a shame he was so turnover prone.

Is that really any worse than a run getting stuffed at the line of scrimmage on 3rd and short?

Yes

BS.

There are screams coming from virtually every direction.....fans and media......for Riley's offense to establish the running game, especially on short distance 3rd downs.

Why would you want to do the smart thing and run on 3rd or 4th and 1 when you can hurl a 30-40 yd fade route down the field instead?

I just watched Alabama convert a 4th and 2 with a roll out play action pass to the flats. Play calling wasn't the issue vs. Iowa. Tommy had Cethan Carter (TE) wide open on the play. Tommy's lack of vision and ability to check down prevented us from converting on that 4th down. He just made a terrible decision and everyone knows it.

A good offensive coordinator knows how to put an offense in position to succeed. I wonder if ANY play we needed a yard or two if Cross or Jano would have been a more viable option than ANY pass play?

Not with the offensive line we had.

That's because the coaches prefer pass protection. Jerald Foster is our best run blocking O-lineman, and he didn't sniff the field.

No, they prefer well rounded players that can do it all,not just run block. Foster will see the field next fall though.

They prefer guys who are better at pass blocking over run blocking. They also don't rotate because that's their philosophy from their NFL days, not because of any supposed lack of talent.

30 years in the business and two were in the NFL......ooooooooooK.

For accuracy's sake, Langsdorf, Riley and Cavanaugh have a combined 6-7 years NFL experience. And I believe one of the coaches was quoted as saying they aren't rotating linemen because it doesn't happen very often in the NFL.

Continue on.

OK...if we are going to play that game, then how many combined years do they have in college? Hint, it's going to be the vast majority of their coaching experience.

But...just to be clear, I wish we had rotated more than we did. I just think this is one of those things though that fans cling on to to bitch about that really isn't drastically different than a lot or programs.

I'm trying to reason out this staff's philosophy to not rotate on the O-line. For those that played O-line does pass blocking require more energy or less energy than run blocking? Another reason I considered is if you have a pass first offense the QB is very important so protecting him is a priority. Rotating in a second stringer only increases the chance that a block will get missed and the QB could get injured. Cav didn't spell this out but stated he thought the best lineman should be playing all the time. On the surface it makes sense but it doesn't take into account the fatigue factor. I'm guessing an offense that relies on the run where O-line are trying to drive defenders back will fatigue the O-line faster and it's more effective to rotate.

There are a lot of schools that don't rotate their Oline. Stanford usually doesn't, neither do the Gumps. Those 2 teams are considered to have the best Olines in college. Stanford brings in extra linemen for blocking and that is how they get their backups reps in games.

Yes

BS.

A good offensive coordinator knows how to put an offense in position to succeed. I wonder if ANY play we needed a yard or two if Cross or Jano would have been a more viable option than ANY pass play?

Not with the offensive line we had.

That's because the coaches prefer pass protection. Jerald Foster is our best run blocking O-lineman, and he didn't sniff the field.

No, they prefer well rounded players that can do it all,not just run block. Foster will see the field next fall though.

They prefer guys who are better at pass blocking over run blocking. They also don't rotate because that's their philosophy from their NFL days, not because of any supposed lack of talent.

30 years in the business and two were in the NFL......ooooooooooK.

For accuracy's sake, Langsdorf, Riley and Cavanaugh have a combined 6-7 years NFL experience. And I believe one of the coaches was quoted as saying they aren't rotating linemen because it doesn't happen very often in the NFL.

Continue on.

OK...if we are going to play that game, then how many combined years do they have in college? Hint, it's going to be the vast majority of their coaching experience.

But...just to be clear, I wish we had rotated more than we did. I just think this is one of those things though that fans cling on to to bitch about that really isn't drastically different than a lot or programs.

I'm not trying to play any games so there's no need to be snarky, friend. You didn't seem to be using hyperbole so I figured if we were going to discuss their coaching careers we should be accurate about it. I don't have a problem with them taking what they learned in the NFL, regardless of how long they were there, and using it at Nebraska if it works.

My non-expert opinion sides with you and thinks rotation is a good idea, particularly for younger linemen. The NFL is the top one percent of players who are supposed to be the best of the best so obviously they might do things differently. But, I'm interested to see if Cav's philosophy is a good one. I feel like I can't make that determination yet.

It is a perplexing issuing and it takes both sides of the ball defense and offense to have such a crappy turnover margin. I guess I'm just stating the obvious but we have an undisciplined QB, no obvious NFL quality running back for the first time in years, and a defense that I assume spent most of the year learning how to tackle, perhaps next year ball hawking can get added to the list.