Immigration Pause

Immigration Pause Options  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Love him or hate him (Corn) Trump has elevated the debate again after San Bernardino. He has called for a temporary ban of any Muslims immigrating into the country until we resolve immigration policies and practices.

What do you think? What options are you supportive of and why?

I voted for the Elis Island option - we need to slow down the process to make sure we allow only good guys in. My 2nd option is the last one - support the Arab nations in relief efforts - sending 100s of thousands into Europe and USA only spreads issues and removes families from there home lands. Once this ISIS war is over, the neighboring countries wt the help of other nations can resettle the refugees back to their native lands. Of course there are some obvious issues wt this course. It has become apparent that the Arab nations don't want to take on any responsibility, they don't want the danger or expense, and they may see this as an opportunity to spread their religion to other parts of the world wt these refugees.

It is true that in years past, the USA was much more selective and restrictive with the purpose of bringing in immigrants who could help the country - skilled workers and laborers. The process was managed to allow for assimilation - thus trying to avoid the balkanization of the USA (eventually Irish immigrants, etc became a part of the melting pot).

Love him or hate him (Corn) Trump has elevated the debate again after San Bernardino. He has called for a temporary ban of any Muslims immigrating into the country until we resolve immigration policies and practices.

Well, I'm would never say that radical, Jihadist Islam is not a threat. (I actually think Neo-Nazism in the US is more of a threat, but wtevr). But I don't support Der Trumpf's "total ban of Muslims for now" idea, his Muslim registry idea, etc: too Hitlerian for me. How many times must it be said, that the vast majority of Muslims are not Jihadists?! The guys I've seen on C-Span with their fingers closest to the pulse of the immigration process, all say that the USA has one of the most thorough vetting processes for refugees in the world. So, I'm going with that.

Deal is, I don't think terrorism can be completely eradicated, especially when the US, France, Britain, Russia, etc, keep conducting State sponsored terrorism over there(see Osama Bin Laden's letter below ***). the more you bomb them, and occupy them, the more terrorists you create. And, these days, how can you possibly stop somebody that just looks online and over the course of a month decides he/she is going to get some guns and pipe bombs and "go ISIS" somewhere? The USA already enough security apparatus, NSAFBI/CIA etc, that would be the envy of the Stassis, yet, terror attacks will still slip thru the cracks.

Another thing I don't quite get is, ISIS is supposedly 30-40K members strong and the US has supposedly been conducting "1000s" of drone/bomber attacks. "1000s", really? How many "1000s" of bombing missions does it take to knock out a group of 30-40K members? That doesn't seem to add up to me.

Anyway, I don't have any great revelations on the subject--I leave that to the pros(the military/CIA, etc.)

***"Letter to America" from Osama Bin Laden

(d) You steal our wealth and oil at paltry prices because of you international influence and military threats. This theft is indeed the biggest theft ever witnessed by mankind in the history of the world.

(e) Your forces occupy our countries; you spread your military bases throughout them; you corrupt our lands, and you besiege our sanctities, to protect the security of the Jews and to ensure the continuity of your pillage of our treasures.

(f) You have starved the Muslims of Iraq, where children die every day. It is a wonder that more than 1.5 million Iraqi children have died as a result of your sanctions, and you did not show concern. Yet when 3000 of your people died, the entire world rises and has not yet sat down.

(2) These tragedies and calamities are only a few examples of your oppression and aggression against us. It is commanded by our religion and intellect that the oppressed have a right to return the aggression. Do not await anything from us but Jihad, resistance and revenge. Is it in any way rational to expect that after America has attacked us for more than half a century, that we will then leave her to live in security and peace?!!

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/nov/24/theobserver

Well, I'm would never say that radical, Jihadist Islam is not a threat. (I actually think Neo-Nazism in the US is more of a threat, but wtevr). But I don't support Der Trumpf's "total ban of Muslims for now" idea, his Muslim registry idea, etc: too Hitlerian for me. How many times must it be said, that the vast majority of Muslims are not Jihadists?! The guys I've seen on C-Span with their fingers closest to the pulse of the immigration process, all say that the USA has one of the most thorough vetting processes for refugees in the world. So, I'm going with that.

Deal is, I don't think terrorism can be completely eradicated, especially when the US, France, Britain, Russia, etc, keep conducting State sponsored terrorism over there(see Osama Bin Laden's letter below ***). the more you bomb them, and occupy them, the more terrorists you create. And, these days, how can you possibly stop somebody that just looks online and over the course of a month decides he/she is going to get some guns and pipe bombs and "go ISIS" somewhere? The USA already enough security apparatus, NSAFBI/CIA etc, that would be the envy of the Stassis, yet, terror attacks will still slip thru the cracks.

Another thing I don't quite get is, ISIS is supposedly 30-40K members strong and the US has supposedly been conducting "1000s" of drone/bomber attacks. "1000s", really? How many "1000s" of bombing missions does it take to knock out a group of 30-40 members? That doesn't seem to add up to me.

Anyway, I don't have any great revelations on the subject--I leave that to the pros(the military/CIA, etc.)

(d) You steal our wealth and oil at paltry prices because of you international influence and military threats. This theft is indeed the biggest theft ever witnessed by mankind in the history of the world.

(e) Your forces occupy our countries; you spread your military bases throughout them; you corrupt our lands, and you besiege our sanctities, to protect the security of the Jews and to ensure the continuity of your pillage of our treasures.

(f) You have starved the Muslims of Iraq, where children die every day. It is a wonder that more than 1.5 million Iraqi children have died as a result of your sanctions, and you did not show concern. Yet when 3000 of your people died, the entire world rises and has not yet sat down.

(2) These tragedies and calamities are only a few examples of your oppression and aggression against us. It is commanded by our religion and intellect that the oppressed have a right to return the aggression. Do not await anything from us but Jihad, resistance and revenge. Is it in any way rational to expect that after America has attacked us for more than half a century, that we will then leave her to live in security and peace?!!

For what it's worth, not every bombing mission is on human targets.

800,000 refugees/immigrants since 9/11.

4 have been charged with terrorism.

it's fine.

Piggy back on that, chart includes ALL types of terrorism:

terrorism-shootings.png

In a typical year, nearly 100 American deaths are caused by bee stings. In fact, this number probably represents an underestimate, since some bee sting deaths are erroneously attributed to heart attacks, sun stroke and other causes.

http://www.govexec.com/management/2015/08/bees-are-deadliest-non-human-animals-america-cdc/119328/

Another thing I don't quite get is, ISIS is supposedly 30-40K members strong and the US has supposedly been conducting "1000s" of drone/bomber attacks. "1000s", really? How many "1000s" of bombing missions does it take to knock out a group of 30-40 members? That doesn't seem to add up to me.

For what it's worth, not every bombing mission is on human targets.

So, how many non-human targets can an "army" of 30-40k occupy or not occupy? We're talking an "army" that is about the size of a crowd watching a Boise St football game(Albertsons Stadium's current attendance record is 36,864). I guess my point is, one would think "1000s" of airstrikes could/should have "done the trick", so to speak. Sure is a hell of alot of $ for all those airstrikes--Northrop Grumman et al are really loving this. And what about the alleged special op forces? Aren't they supposed top go after the leaders, etc? Is this going to be another Bin Laden thing, where it takes over 10 years to find Al Bagdahdi or something?

Hey, what do I know, right?

They need to find an effective way to vet anyone seeking access to this country. Until they find a way to do so, things like the tragedy in San Bernadino will keep occurring. You can't just say one cross section of people can't come in because of what happened, partially because this is what the country was founded on.

They need to completely revamp the way immigration is run...

They need to find an effective way to vet anyone seeking access to this country. Until they find a way to do so, things like the tragedy in San Bernadino will keep occurring. You can't just say one cross section of people can't come in because of what happened, partially because this is what the country was founded on.

800,000 refugees/immigrants since 9/11.

4 have been charged with terrorism.

https://www.whitehou...y-united-states

This isn't just aimed at you but based on things I read all over here on FB, people keep talking like they aren't screened at all. I have no idea where that idea comes from. How is the current process not effective when this was the biggest terrorist attack in the US in the past 14 years? There will ALWAYS be crazy people who manage to kill people. Most of the time it isn't done by immigrants.