Immigration Pause

Immigration Pause Options  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

They need to find an effective way to vet anyone seeking access to this country. Until they find a way to do so, things like the tragedy in San Bernadino will keep occurring. You can't just say one cross section of people can't come in because of what happened, partially because this is what the country was founded on.

They need to completely revamp the way immigration is run...

This isn't just aimed at you but based on things I read all over here on FB, people keep talking like they aren't screened at all. I have no idea where that idea comes from. How is the current process not effective when this was the biggest terrorist attack in the US in the past 14 years? There will ALWAYS be crazy people who manage to kill people. Most of the time it isn't done by immigrants.

Trump, Cruz, and many of the Repubs(and some Dems) keep claiming that the vetting system is broken, etc, whereas anyone who actually works in the system says the vetting system for refugees is extremely extensive.

Trump, Cruz, and many of the Repubs(and some Dems) keep claiming that the vetting system is broken, etc, whereas anyone who actually works in the system says the vetting system for refugees is extremely extensive.

Are you insinuating that people, including politicians, make things up because their audience doesn't know the facts, and there's little repercussion? I suppose next you're going to say that it's some sort of scare tactic to fan fears and prejudices.

• Fire 4

They need to find an effective way to vet anyone seeking access to this country. Until they find a way to do so, things like the tragedy in San Bernadino will keep occurring. You can't just say one cross section of people can't come in because of what happened, partially because this is what the country was founded on.

This isn't just aimed at you but based on things I read all over here on FB, people keep talking like they aren't screened at all. I have no idea where that idea comes from. How is the current process not effective when this was the biggest terrorist attack in the US in the past 14 years? There will ALWAYS be crazy people who manage to kill people. Most of the time it isn't done by immigrants.

I posted the link in one of my posts above to show what the White House says is the vetting process. Seems pretty thorough. I would imagine the candidates that are saying that it is broken are just pandering to people too lazy to look it up themselves.

800,000 refugees/immigrants since 9/11.

4 have been charged with terrorism.

https://www.whitehou...y-united-states

That stat is a valid one.

However, let me throw something out there. It has been shown that ISIS is trying to use these refugees as a way to get operatives into various countries. Before them, was there any terrorist organization or enemy of the US that was actively trying to make that happen?

If not, this stat become much less meaningful.

If I am a DC and I have only gone against teams who run the ball 99% of the time and my defense is tailored to that, when I finally go against a team that I KNOW is going to try to throw on us, am I allowed to say..."Hey, I don't need to change anything because nobody has been successful throwing on us yet."

https://www.whitehou...y-united-states

That stat is a valid one.

However, let me throw something out there. It has been shown that ISIS is trying to use these refugees as a way to get operatives into various countries. Before them, was there any terrorist organization or enemy of the US that was actively trying to make that happen?

If not, this stat become much less meaningful.

If I am a DC and I have only gone against teams who run the ball 99% of the time and my defense is tailored to that, when I finally go against a team that I KNOW is going to try to throw on us, am I allowed to say..."Hey, I don't need to change anything because nobody has been successful throwing on us yet."

Al Qaeda in 2001

it's fine.

Where do you get such a number? That's 14 years. Terrorism all over the world. Likely thousands of attacks by refugees and immigrants all over. Why would you say $? Are you talking those convicted of carrying out attacks in the USA? We know they are terror attacks all over. Paris attacks were refugees for example. The two who were killed in San Bernadino CA one week ago were 'refugee/immigrant' and child of immigrant! I am sorry but the Unites States poplution is 'estimated' as we don't really even know due to illegal immigration at alarming rates over the past 7 years! Estimated at around 330 MILLION! That is about 90 million more than have jobs in this economy! We need 20 million good, upper middle income jobs immediately and another 2 million yearly.

it's fine.

Where do you get such a number? That's 14 years. Terrorism all over the world. Likely thousands of attacks by refugees and immigrants all over. Why would you say $? Are you talking those convicted of carrying out attacks in the USA? We know they are terror attacks all over. Paris attacks were refugees for example. The two who were killed in San Bernadino CA one week ago were 'refugee/immigrant' and child of immigrant! I am sorry but the Unites States poplution is 'estimated' as we don't really even know due to illegal immigration at alarming rates over the past 7 years! Estimated at around 330 MILLION! That is about 90 million more than have jobs in this economy! We need 20 million good, upper middle income jobs immediately and another 2 million yearly.

One reason we have so much illegal immigration is because the bottom feeders in our economy would rather live on the social welfare handouts than take entry level jobs. It's even tough to find decent workers for jobs paying almost twice the minimum wage. The problem with illegal immigrants is that many of them don't pay income taxes. If we bring in legitimate immigrants with skills and ambition, maybe the income tax they pay will help support some of our resident deadbeats.

• Fire 1

it's fine.

One reason we have so much illegal immigration is because the bottom feeders in our economy would rather live on the social welfare handouts than take entry level jobs.

Do you have statistics to back that up or is it just a gut feeling based on stories you've heard about individuals? I have a feeling (but no stats) that illegal immigrants are taking jobs that pay less than minimum wage.

Some anecdotal evidence: I was on food stamps for a year while getting my undergrad degree in Math and Education and working 25 hours per week cashiering and tutoring. I wanted to work, and I worked, and still needed help so I took it. I wasn't a "bottom feeder" who wanted to live off of handouts. I find it highly unlikely that more than a handful of people on social programs actually want to be reliant on them, but again, I don't have statistics.

Either way, there's no reason we should cut social welfare "handouts" as you call them and spend as much $ as we do on corporate subsidies. Almost every state, maybe every state, requires that you work or volunteer if you want to receive food stamps. I don't know the details on other types of welfare.

I would say it is absolutely imperative that we provide really good resources, even extra resources, to refugees in order to give them a chance at being educated and employed well. Not only does that help our economy, but education and economical prosperity are the best ways to combat radicalization, and the most effective means to paving the way towards a safer world for our children.

it's fine.

One reason we have so much illegal immigration is because the bottom feeders in our economy would rather live on the social welfare handouts than take entry level jobs.

Do you have statistics to back that up or is it just a gut feeling based on stories you've heard about individuals? I have a feeling (but no stats) that illegal immigrants are taking jobs that pay less than minimum wage.

Some anecdotal evidence: I was on food stamps for a year while getting my undergrad degree in Math and Education and working 25 hours per week cashiering and tutoring. I wanted to work, and I worked, and still needed help so I took it. I wasn't a "bottom feeder" who wanted to live off of handouts. I find it highly unlikely that more than a handful of people on social programs actually want to be reliant on them, but again, I don't have statistics.

Either way, there's no reason we should cut social welfare "handouts" as you call them and spend as much $ as we do on corporate subsidies. Almost every state, maybe every state, requires that you work or volunteer if you want to receive food stamps. I don't know the details on other types of welfare.

Sorry, no stats other than personal experience over the years working with various people. It sounds like your situation is the exception more than the rule. I mean, what percentage of people receiving food stamps are college students? I'm guessing it's a fairly small percentage.

it's fine.

Sorry, no stats other than personal experience over the years working with various people. It sounds like your situation is the exception more than the rule. I mean, what percentage of people receiving food stamps are college students? I'm guessing it's a fairly small percentage.

And I think people abusing the system area exception. I think the people who abuse the system are just more memorable because they're doing something horrible.

it's fine.

And I think people abusing the system area exception. I think the people who abuse the system are just more memorable because they're doing something horrible.

Fair enough. But why is it that there are so many minimum wage jobs available for the taking, and yet a lot of folks would rather get a free handout than work for a small wage? I can understand if someone is going to college and working part time. But what about the vast majority of people who aren't seeking to improve their skill set?

I think I was more compassionate years ago when I was just reading about these situations, before I had actually met some of these people and tried to work with them. Over the years I've gradually become convinced that, in many cases, free handouts aren't the way to go. It incentivizes the wrong behavior. But I guess that's just my opinion. :shrug:

• Fire 1