If you are going to hate, go with Ohio State

tmfr15

In the days that followed the Iowa loss, my social media feed has seen a great up tick in the number of posts about how much people hate Iowa. I guess that means there is some traction to that rivalry after all, but it makes no sense to me.

In addition, there have been a lot of posts about Oklahoma and how cool it is that the Sooners are in the playoffs. The whole idea of Oklahoma being a respected rival of ours... well, it gives me a headache.

At the end of the day, a rivalry, and the hate of another team comes down to what the other team has that your team wants.

Take Oklahoma for instance. In the early Osborne years and through quite a few games in the 80s, Oklahoma got what Nebraska wanted, a Big 8 title. It was a killer. We got some revenge late in the Osborne years as we won titles and the cheating Sooners got served.

But they came back.

Nebraska was coming off a Fiesta Bowl win and had championship aspirations... until Oklahoma beat us at Norman. And the Sooners won the national title in 2000.

Bill Callahan had a chance to win the Big 12 title. The Sooners took it from us.

Bo Pelini had a chance to leave the Big 12 with a conference title. The Sooners took it from us.

They're in the playoffs this year. We are on the trash heap.

They keep winning.... conference title after conference title.

Ohio State is the Oklahoma of the Big 10. They have what we want. Granted, Michigan State is the champ this year and is in the playoff. But the Buckeyes win and win and win. They cheated, got their coach fired. And then went 12-0. People laughed the next year when they went 12-2, so they went 15-0 and won the whole thing. This year, they are 11-1 and will probably beat Notre Dame. If they do, they'll be 51-3 in four years.

They have what we want.

When Iowa beat us, I was sad. But when Iowa was picked over Ohio State for the Rose Bowl, I had to laugh.

Iowa won't be back next year. They don't have what we want.

And so I can't hate Iowa. They don't deserve that kind of attention.

• Fire 4

When Iowa beat us, I was sad. But when Iowa was picked over Ohio State for the Rose Bowl, I had to laugh.

Yeah, the old adage is definitely true that to be the best you have to beat the best. But tOSU will never be our rival for two reasons. First, Michigan. Second, we don't play them on a regular basis. It looks like we'll play the Buckeyes about half the time. Maybe less, given the expanding number of B1G teams.

That said, I hate the Buckeyes. :lol:

In the days that followed the Iowa loss, my social media feed has seen a great up tick in the number of posts about how much people hate Iowa. I guess that means there is some traction to that rivalry after all, but it makes no sense to me.

In addition, there have been a lot of posts about Oklahoma and how cool it is that the Sooners are in the playoffs. The whole idea of Oklahoma being a respected rival of ours... well, it gives me a headache.

At the end of the day, a rivalry, and the hate of another team comes down to what the other team has that your team wants.

Take Oklahoma for instance. In the early Osborne years and through quite a few games in the 80s, Oklahoma got what Nebraska wanted, a Big 8 title. It was a killer. We got some revenge late in the Osborne years as we won titles and the cheating Sooners got served.

But they came back.

Nebraska was coming off a Fiesta Bowl win and had championship aspirations... until Oklahoma beat us at Norman. And the Sooners won the national title in 2000.

Bill Callahan had a chance to win the Big 12 title. The Sooners took it from us.

Bo Pelini had a chance to leave the Big 12 with a conference title. The Sooners took it from us.

Ohio State is the Oklahoma of the Big 10. They have what we want. Granted, Michigan State is the champ this year and is in the playoff. But the Buckeyes win and win and win. They cheated, got their coach fired. And then went 12-0. People laughed the next year when they went 12-2, so they went 15-0 and won the whole thing. This year, they are 11-1 and will probably beat Notre Dame. If they do, they'll be 51-3 in four years.

They have what we want.

We don't play them often enough to remotely resemble a rivalry... I'll use your Oklahoma reference as an example, once the Big12 went north/south and we did not play each other annually the rivalry declined and took a back seat to Texas and Oklahoma. Why? cause the stakes weren't on the line every year like they once were.

Everyone hates ohio state for who they are, but they will never view us a true rival. Even Michigan St who has had great success as of late, is still second fiddle to OSU/Michgian. Unless we meet up in the big 10 title game regularly and the results go back and forth they will never be a rival. Much easier to build a rivalry with the likes of Iowa, Wisconsin, etc

But they came back.

They have what we want.

For me, it's not about Iowa.

It's similar to Creighton.

It's their FANS.

(Sit next to one at the next game...........you'll understand instantly)

• Fire 2

I am a Riley fan, or at least support him. But talking about rivalries when you are a 5-7 team, have not won a meaningful game in a long time. I know Michigan State, but I will say the same thing when Bo won this type of a game. We were lucky. We need not worry about Ohio State, Iowa, Michigan State, Wisconsin. We need to worry about Nebraska and trying to win meaningful games on a regular basis before we even consider thinking about a rival. Their fans would laugh at this thread. I would not blame them.

Until we can take what we want, crawl out of the bowels of college football, all I want to do is win games. Not talk about it.

I reserve the word hate for real enemies. Not a single team out there different than Nebraska. We have our Aholes as others do.

Hate resided in San Bernardino the past week. They deserve the word hate. 18-22 year old kids playing a game do not. Nor do their fans that live and breath their teams fate, just like Nebraska fan.

• Fire 5

Get in line. Most people hate OSU.

There was an ESPN commercial about that in the last year or so, ended with that one Ohio fan with the Boss Hog hate laughing:

1163336-3664735862.jpg

I don't think many OSU fans like that guy. I love it when Fowler references him during OSU telecasts just to irritate Herbstreit.

But they came back.

They have what we want.

In 2014, Ohio State finished 14-1 with their lone loss to 7-6 Virginia Tech in the second game of their season. So far, nobody has gone unscathed in the CFB Playoff. Ohio State is Ohio State. I don't understand the logic in comparing Big 10 schools to Big 12 schools.

I am a Riley fan, or at least support him. But talking about rivalries when you are a 5-7 team, have not won a meaningful game in a long time. I know Michigan State, but I will say the same thing when Bo won this type of a game. We were lucky. We need not worry about Ohio State, Iowa, Michigan State, Wisconsin. We need to worry about Nebraska and trying to win meaningful games on a regular basis before we even consider thinking about a rival. Their fans would laugh at this thread. I would not blame them.

Until we can take what we want, crawl out of the bowels of college football, all I want to do is win games. Not talk about it.

I reserve the word hate for real enemies. Not a single team out there different than Nebraska. We have our Aholes as others do.

Hate resided in San Bernardino the past week. They deserve the word hate. 18-22 year old kids playing a game do not. Nor do their fans that live and breath their teams fate, just like Nebraska fan.

picard_clapping.gif