[Spoilers] Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread

I have a theory on Rey.

We have the scene where she touches Luke's lightsaber and has all of these memories, including one of a ship leaving her on her planet and another with Kylo Ren in it. And she's always waiting for her family to come back. (I don't think she ever mentioned a mom or a dad, just her family). I believe it was after this that the orange lady says something about the belonging that she seeks could be with Luke. We have another scene with Kylo Ren where he's reading her mind and he finds out she's desperate for a father figure and sees Han as that even though she's only known him for a day.

The actor who plays Kylo is 32. The actor who plays Rey is 23.

We know from comments made in the original trilogy that Luke was really old to begin his training. He was 19 at the time of A New Hope. We also have scenes in the new trilogy with Younglings who were 3-6 years old.

younglings.jpg

Then in Force Awakens we hear that Luke was training Jedis until one of them went bad (Kylo) and ruined everything. From the conversations Han and Leia had, and Kylo had with his master, it seems to me that he went bad quite awhile ago. I would guess during his angsty teenage years, so 15-18 years old.

My theory is that Rey was a Youngling training with Luke. She could have been around 5 at the time. But she was only there a little while before the fall out happened and any of the remaining trainees/Padawans were sent away to protect them/prevent them from joining Kylo and the dark side. I think that's young enough to only have a foggy recollection of what happened during her childhood. My guess is she was an orphan before she became a Youngling and has no memory of her real family.

I don't buy the idea that she's Leia's daughter because there was no hinting of that in their interaction. I also don't buy that she's Luke's daughter. After what happened to Anakin I think he would try his hardest to be a "good" Jedi and follow all the rules which includes not falling in love.

• Fire 3

One of the best YouTube movie reviewers

I agree with a ton of what this guy says! Especially about Kylo. This is basically the kind of Anakin story I wish they had told in the prequels.

I love what they're doing with Kylo in this movie, and it's not clear where he's going to end up.

I have a theory on Rey.

We have the scene where she touches Luke's lightsaber and has all of these memories, including one of a ship leaving her on her planet and another with Kylo Ren in it. And she's always waiting for her family to come back. (I don't think she ever mentioned a mom or a dad, just her family). I believe it was after this that the orange lady says something about the belonging that she seeks could be with Luke. We have another scene with Kylo Ren where he's reading her mind and he finds out she's desperate for a father figure and sees Han as that even though she's only known him for a day.

We know from comments made in the original trilogy that Luke was really old to begin his training. He was 19 at the time of A New Hope. We also have scenes in the new trilogy with Younglings who were 3-6 years old.

younglings.jpg

Then in Force Awakens we hear that Luke was training Jedis until one of them went bad (Kylo) and ruined everything. From the conversations Han and Leia had, and Kylo had with his master, it seems to me that he went bad quite awhile ago. I would guess during his angsty teenage years, so 15-18 years old.

My theory is that Rey was a Youngling training with Luke. She could have been around 5 at the time. But she was only there a little while before the fall out happened and any of the remaining trainees/Padawans were sent away to protect them/prevent them from joining Kylo and the dark side. I think that's young enough to only have a foggy recollection of what happened during her childhood. My guess is she was an orphan before she became a Youngling and has no memory of her real family.

I don't buy the idea that she's Leia's daughter because there was no hinting of that in their interaction. I also don't buy that she's Luke's daughter. After what happened to Anakin I think he would try his hardest to be a "good" Jedi and follow all the rules which includes not falling in love.

Except everything points to her being Luke's daughter. She's a good pilot despite a lack of experience. She's mechanically inclined. She has a do it herself, kind of naive attitude. All of those are Luke and Anakin. Luke's saber calls to her. Han takes a liking to her, after being standoffish like ANH. He even gets a smerk on his face when he sees her escaping, like he's seen that tenacity before. The biggest part was when Kylo read her mind, why would she have longed to be where Luke actually was and not remember him, thinking he's only some legend?

But to me maybe the most subtle hint was the reveal of the Falcon. The first time Luke saw it he called it a piece of junk. When Fin and Rey are running to the other ship she calls it a piece of junk as well.

Pilot skills and mechanical savvy aren't hereditary, though -- perhaps life on a desert planet lends itself to certain things? I was thinking maybe no blood relation at all. It would be neat if they played on the theme of not needing literal children to form significant generational connections. For example, Luke has already sought to train children of the force, surely not all of them his own. If Rey becomes his big success story, the lack of any real blood ties is something new in the midst of an old theme, and it would be a very satisfying one for me.

There's an Abrams comment about how these movies are about young people finding their place in the universe, which puts it quite nicely. Wouldn't it be great if for once, a "chosen one"-type hero isn't that way as a result of extraordinary hereditary coincidence?

I think Lupita Nyongo's character forshadows this when she urges Rey to stop being tied down looking to her family, saying "look to the future for your belonging, not to the past". And Kylo is set up nicely as a son-of-destiny type of character by birth that could end up, well, not being very significant for all his own hoopla.

I have a theory on Rey.

younglings.jpg

Except everything points to her being Luke's daughter. She's a good pilot despite a lack of experience. She's mechanically inclined. She has a do it herself, kind of naive attitude. All of those are Luke and Anakin. Luke's saber calls to her. Han takes a liking to her, after being standoffish like ANH. He even gets a smerk on his face when he sees her escaping, like he's seen that tenacity before. The biggest part was when Kylo read her mind, why would she have longed to be where Luke actually was and not remember him, thinking he's only some legend?

But to me maybe the most subtle hint was the reveal of the Falcon. The first time Luke saw it he called it a piece of junk. When Fin and Rey are running to the other ship she calls it a piece of junk as well.

I think by everything you mean to say there are a few possible indicators that she's Luke's daughter. There are definitely things that point to her not being his daughter, one of which I've already mentioned. Jedi are not supposed to have kids and the one that did turned to the dark side.

I also don't buy that she's Luke's daughter. After what happened to Anakin I think he would try his hardest to be a "good" Jedi and follow all the rules which includes not falling in love.

The only problem with this theory is that this was never a "thing" in the OT. Neither Yoda or Obi Wan mentioned anything about the old rules to Luke.

• Fire 1

I also don't buy that she's Luke's daughter. After what happened to Anakin I think he would try his hardest to be a "good" Jedi and follow all the rules which includes not falling in love.

The only problem with this theory is that this was never a "thing" in the OT. Neither Yoda or Obi Wan mentioned anything about the old rules to Luke.
Yup.

Also to zoogs point; wasn't Anakin basically the chosen one without a bloodline? As far as we know no one else in his family was force sensitive. Fin can still be that character as well.

I personally hope she is not Lukes daughter. I like the idea of her being one of Lukes students, placed on Jakku for safe keeping.

I DO hope he has a child out there though that we have yet to be introduced to. In the old canon he had a wife and a son so these are still possibilities.

The "freshness" starts and stops at the lack of white male lead characters, because it's 2015 and we don't want to offend anyone.

Are you saying they picked a black actor so they wouldn't offend anyone? Also, did you watch the movie? If we don't count the original cast there were only 3 lead characters. One white dude, one black dude, one white girl.