[Spoilers] Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread

It's obvious they purposely did a pseudo remake, and I'm totally fine with it.

Agreed. Han even alludes a bit to that ideal when he said "There's always a way to blow it up".

I get his gripes, but I didn't let them get to me. The freshness of this new film was overwhelmingly more powerful than any negative I could have taken away from it.

If you're reading a thread titled "spoilers" you can't complain if I don't use spoiler tags.

I was disappointed. It was a coloring book filled with crayon. They took the framework of the old movies and crammed them all into this movie.

The scene on the gantry over the abyss.

The giant planet-killing space weapon.

The orphan hero(ine).

The desert landscape.

The icy landscape.

The wise old mentor who dies by lightsaber.

The plucky little cutesy droid.

The outnumbered but brave X-Wing pilots amidst a swarm of TIE fighters.

There were so many glaring technological plot holes I can't name them all.

There were some neat parts. I liked Fin & Rey, generally. They were fresh-faced, nice characters. And with Fin at least they tried to make him into more of a character than Luke ever was - the whiner farmboy was about all they developed out of him at first.

Kylo Ren was probably the most refreshing of the characters. A bad guy with a conscience. He was OK.

Han's death was spoiled for anyone who reads about Star Wars online over a year ago, but even still, that death-scene on the gantry was dumb.

There's zero history given to tell us why the New Republic can't mount a decent force to counter this First Order bunch. There's a galaxy of resources out there, and if someone's developing a super-weapon that can smash multiple planets in one blow, you'd think there'd be so many battleships in orbit knocking away at that shield that it'd be flattened in an hour. Instead, we have what - 15 X-Wings sent? C'mon. Every system in the galaxy would be sending fighters, ships, or lobbing spare asteroids at this thing.

Disney has more money than god. There's no excuse for them to have foisted off a movie with so many plot holes as this. There's no need to play it safe with these movies - we're going to watch them. Just write a tight script with all that mickey mouse money and don't patronize us.

I guess the 5% that didn't like it on Rotten Tomatoes has to come from somewhere.

I personally thought it was great. I thought it would be good, but it was even better than expected. The main actors were very good. The can act which is something that Carrie Fisher and Mark Hammel are very limited at. The scrip and dialog was good like it was in the first films. It did have some similarites to the other films, but I expected some of this, because that is what most people want and IMO there isn't a whole lot of new ground that can be covered.

I guess you were expecting something new and completely different, I wasn't.

• Fire 2

No, I wasn't expecting to watch a mish-mash of ANH/TESB/ROTJ again.

Really? People wanted to see those movies over again? The same basic plot, the same basic settings, the same... everything?

Why not just dust off your DVDs and watch those movies again? And at what point, if any, do they need to do something different than a Death Star scenario?

No, I wasn't expecting to watch a mish-mash of ANH/TESB/ROTJ again.

Really? People wanted to see those movies over again? The same basic plot, the same basic settings, the same... everything?

Why not just dust off your DVDs and watch those movies again? And at what point, if any, do they need to do something different than a Death Star scenario?

Could you supply some Ideas of the story you would have written? I am with Redux I think it had a lot of freshness. How many different environmental landscapes do you think there are in the world?

You want me to come up with -literally- a galaxy's worth of alternate storylines? I don't think that makes a lot of sense in a discussion like this.

That's kinda like saying that because I can't throw or run like Tommy Armstrong, I can't critique his play. I can say with good authority that Tommy needs to ramp down the turnovers, but I can't do a better job than he.

• Fire 1

For those of you who enjoyed the movie, I'm glad you did. I liked it too, and there was that frisson moment when the fanfare started and the words scrolled across the screen. There was a LOT to like about this movie. I just have some legit criticisms about it, too.

I don't want to derail this into a gripe session about all that was wrong with the movie. If you really want to talk about that, we can. But if you just want to enjoy the movie, don't ask me what issues I had with it. :D

I liked TFA and thought it was very well done. I don't know what you were expecting, but the movie was bound to contain some aspects of the original trilogy because it's a continuation of the original trilogy.

I don't know how the Resistance hasn't mustered up the support to take out The First Order either. But (and you'll have to forgive my memory) werent the Rebels outnumbered in the original trilogy as well?

Well, to play devil's advocate they've been under an opressive regime for 55 or so years. There is no way the empire let any planet who wanted to build weapons/spaceships. The ones they did let build these things for the empire were likely very prosperous and enjoyed their time under the empire. The ones that weren't allowed probably did not make any advances in that area and may have even lost the art of making even old spacecrap. On top of that it's always seemed like empire stuff was better or that rebellion fleet was older models from pre-Empire times. So at RotJ time we're talking about decades since anyone not friendly with the Empire has built new stuff.

Going back to the timeline, they've only had 32 years to build spaceships, which isn't that long, and according to A New Hope, little spaceships can only launch from a planet or some kind of big space station/carrier. Interplanet travel would be a pain in the ass unless you had a lot of carriers and those likely take much longer to build and are more expensive as would any big attacking spaceships.

I look at it this way:

I made my wife watch all 6 previous installments. She had seen the prequels when they came out with genuine disinterest. So we started from Hope and finished with Revenge just in time to see Awakens.

Out of all of them, I think she enjoyed Awakens the most. It's ability to stand on its own if you had no prior knowledge of the other 6 is what makes it so great I feel.