UCLA Defense: Great Against the Pass, Soft Against the Run

Mavric

Run the football. It only makes sense given UCLA's stinginess against the pass all year. Consider too that Nebraska's offense seems to flow better when it's able to rely on the ground game.

Offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf knows all this. Which is why he said Wednesday after practice that he'd like to see the Huskers get production from their ball carriers right from the start of the Foster Farms Bowl Saturday.
"It's something that, when we've been good at it, it's been really helpful to us," Langsdorf said of NU's rush attack. "We get into a rhythm. Establishing that run is always so big for us, making sure that we get some gains early in the game just to kind of get us into that flow we like to get into."
The Bruins have allowed an average of 5.6 yards per pass attempted (tied for third-best nationally). They've given up just 26 pass plays of 20-plus yards all season (tied for the seven-fewest total in the country).
But opponents have averaged 4.3 yards per carry against them.

OWH

This could've applied to the 2 games before with them, different teams I know. Point remains Ucla is built to rush passers and stop passing offenses. We have success in the run game and stick with it, we dramatically increase out chances Saturday.

Yep.

2012 - 36 rushing attempts, 260 yards, 7.2 ypc; 17/31 passing, 179 yards, 5.8 ypa, 1 INT

2013 - RBs had 31 attempts, 139 yards, 4.5 ypc; 21/35 passing, 203 yards, 5.8 ypa, 3 TDs

• Fire 1

Any word on who were will be missing because of grades?

I thought Riley commented that everyone made the trip and there were no casualties due to grades.

Everyone made the trip because they wouldn't find out final grades until they were already in California.

I haven't seen any reports of where they've asked Riley specifically but I would think no news is good news at this point.

This could've applied to the 2 games before with them, different teams I know. Point remains Ucla is built to rush passers and stop passing offenses. We have success in the run game and stick with it, we dramatically increase out chances Saturday.

Yep.

2012 - 36 rushing attempts, 260 yards, 7.2 ypc; 17/31 passing, 179 yards, 5.8 ypa, 1 INT

2013 - RBs had 31 attempts, 139 yards, 4.5 ypc; 21/35 passing, 203 yards, 5.8 ypa, 3 TDs

5.8 ypa is turribl. Jus turribl.