Did we just get the biggest upset in the bowl season?

chamrocck

Great win. This win gives us some hope into the future. This game and the Michigan State game were two games this year I gave us no chance of winning. We won them both so these are some things we can build on despite the unacceptable amount of losses this season. Glad we got this bowl win against a very quality opponent who we have lost games and recruiting battles to in the recent past.

• Fire 2

Even Mark May had us winning this one. I thought it Tommie had a good game we would win. Luckily that came to be true.

Tommy had a good game because the play selection played into his strengths, for the most part. The QB read/draw was more prevalent in this the prior three or four combined, the game was kept on the ground, and it helped our defense out. Plus the passes selected were, for the most part, in Tommy's wheelhouse and were high percentage plays. I'm not selling Tommy's talent short--rather, just pointing out it was better utilized last night than in most others this year.

I said this in the game thread, but had we this type of playcalling all season, we would have won the B1G West...and potentially the B1G, considering we beat the B1G Champion. Not saying we'd make the NC, but we'd likely be 9-3/10-2 and maybe playing in the Rose Bowl.

A strong commitment to the running game would have given us at *LEAST* two of those losses back (Illinois, Iowa) in conference play.

• Fire 1

Even Mark May had us winning this one. I thought it Tommie had a good game we would win. Luckily that came to be true.

Tommy had a good game because the play selection played into his strengths, for the most part. The QB read/draw was more prevalent in this the prior three or four combined, the game was kept on the ground, and it helped our defense out. Plus the passes selected were, for the most part, in Tommy's wheelhouse and were high percentage plays. I'm not selling Tommy's talent short--rather, just pointing out it was better utilized last night than in most others this year.

I said this in the game thread, but had we this type of playcalling all season, we would have won the B1G West...and potentially the B1G, considering we beat the B1G Champion. Not saying we'd make the NC, but we'd likely be 9-3/10-2 and maybe playing in the Rose Bowl.

A strong commitment to the running game would have given us at *LEAST* two of those losses back (Illinois, Iowa) in conference play.

I'd say a stronger commitment to the running game would've given us wins against Illinois, Iowa, Purdue, and probably Northwestern. Not sure if it'd change the outcome against BYU, WIsconsin, or Miami though. A 9-3 season, and assuming a game against UCLA in this bowl (which wouldn't have happened--we'd be in a NY bowl against an SEC team), a 10-3 finish to the year.

However, the only film the coaches need to watch going into next season is last night. That is how you use Tommy Armstrong. That is how you win games at Nebraska. That is how you get creative with the running game (that TE reverse was BEAUTIFUL)

• Fire 2

I'd say a stronger commitment to the running game would've given us wins against Illinois, Iowa, Purdue, and probably Northwestern. Not sure if it'd change the outcome against BYU, WIsconsin, or Miami though. A 9-3 season, and assuming a game against UCLA in this bowl (which wouldn't have happened--we'd be in a NY bowl against an SEC team), a 10-3 finish to the year.

However, the only film the coaches need to watch going into next season is last night. That is how you use Tommy Armstrong. That is how you win games at Nebraska. That is how you get creative with the running game (that TE reverse was BEAUTIFUL)

You could probably throw Wisconsin in there too. Remember, we failed to milk the clock against them as well.