Nebraska's Vincent Valentine Makes Critical Mistake in Declaring for NFL

FYI, Brandon has been given permission by HuskerBoard to post links to his articles. There was a thread about it that I'm too lazy to dig up.

Also, separate threads are kinda the preferred way to discuss things at HB. You can ask any Mod.

If Brandon has permission to post links, that's great, more power to the guy. But, how is this thread any different than the thread that is 2 pages long?

:dunno

FYI, Brandon has been given permission by HuskerBoard to post links to his articles. There was a thread about it that I'm too lazy to dig up.

Also, separate threads are kinda the preferred way to discuss things at HB. You can ask any Mod.

If Brandon has permission to post links, that's great, more power to the guy. But, how is this thread any different than the thread that is 2 pages long?

:dunno

So, Brandon was told to create separate threads for his article, even if there is a thread discussing the very same topic?

I don't know if he was told to, but it's encouraged to do so. So let's say there's a big discussion about Andy Janovich on the front page, two pages long. Someone has a new idea about Jano, it's OK to start a new thread. In fact, it's the preferred thing to do on this forum.

I have an impeccable source on this info. You can really, really trust me.

Looks like Brandon is a better writer than the average poster here, and perhaps wants to pursue this at a more professional level. Did a bit of homework and crafted himself a POV. Good for him.

His pieces are being disparaged at roughly the same rate as the dozen other sports service stories people link to daily, so he's certainly on the right path.

I don't have a problem with it.

Not sure why other folks do.

• Fire 5

Looks like Brandon is a better writer than the average poster here, and perhaps wants to pursue this at a more professional level. Did a bit of homework and crafted himself a POV. Good for him.

His pieces are being disparaged at roughly the same rate as the dozen other sports service stories people link to daily, so he's certainly on the right path.

I don't have a problem with it.

Not sure why other folks do.

Big Vince makes one mistake in declaring early and it's a big one.

So the big mistake VV made in declaring early for the draft was that he wasn't working with professionals to help him prepare for the NFL? How do you know this?

I guess the multi-million dollar football staff and operation is not up to snuff when wanting to help a player get to the NFL.

• Fire 1

So the big mistake VV made in declaring early for the draft was that he wasn't working with professionals to help him prepare for the NFL? How do you know this?

I guess the multi-million dollar football staff and operation is not up to snuff when wanting to help a player get to the NFL.

I think what he means is that over break VV has been back home pondering his decision instead of just declaring right after the bowl game and getting started over break working out for the combine. He is a large guy that conditioning has been an issue with him. I think it is a legitimate criticism of his decision. If you knew what you were going to do, then make the decision and start working toward your future.

I think what he means is that over break VV has been back home pondering his decision instead of just declaring right after the bowl game and getting started over break working out for the combine. He is a large guy that conditioning has been an issue with him. I think it is a legitimate criticism of his decision. If you knew what you were going to do, then make the decision and start working toward your future.

I didn't get that from the article.

Here's why I think VV made the correct decision for his life.

1. He already graduated and accomplished that goal.

2. He doesn't risk injury without the prospect of getting paid.

3. He will have a lot more time to focus solely on football.

VV knows he is not going to go that high in the draft, if at all. He probably figures that he will at least be able to give it his best effort right now, and his conditioning won't have to suffer with the distractions of college life in the way. In the whole scheme of things, a couple weeks to make a decision like this is a very short time.

VV knows he is not going to go that high in the draft, if at all. He probably figures that he will at least be able to give it his best effort right now, and his conditioning won't have to suffer with the distractions of college life in the way. In the whole scheme of things, a couple weeks to make a decision like this is a very short time.

I agree with all 3 of those points. I think VV was smart to declare for the draft. I was responding to you saying that he was working out with our multi million dollar staff, which he was not, he was at home in Illinois I believe pondering his decision. Which is a very important decision, but I dont think there was much that was going to sway him from leaving. His draft eval probably told him to stay since if you are not a 1st or 2nd round choice that is the report. Everyone knew he was leaving so why not get to training on becoming a professional football player.

I agree with all 3 of those points. I think VV was smart to declare for the draft. I was responding to you saying that he was working out with our multi million dollar staff, which he was not, he was at home in Illinois I believe pondering his decision. Which is a very important decision, but I dont think there was much that was going to sway him from leaving. His draft eval probably told him to stay since if you are not a 1st or 2nd round choice that is the report. Everyone knew he was leaving so why not get to training on becoming a professional football player.

I never claimed he was working out or anything of the such. I was commenting on the article where the main premise is that he made a huge mistake by not consulting "with professionals in regards to training, proper diet and everything else necessary to prepare him for a future in the NFL." VV has been in the program for a few years now and if we aren't doing exactly that as a program, we are failing.

Other than assuming eightlaces is upset about VV moving on, what other reason is their to write this junk. Especially going on and then saying, "Valentine’s going to have to work double (maybe triple) time to get back into gear if he wants to climb those draft boards. He must show that he has the work ethic and proper eating habits to become the player an NFL organization wants him to be."

VV took a few weeks to make a major decision, big deal. There is no need for commentary such as this. Pretty low-ball in my opinion.

• Fire 1

i think he also knew, without Collins playing next to him, his stats would likely be even less impressive.........Collins made VV look better, no doubt about it.