Eichorst: Building Football Program is "a Process"

Mavric

Another thread hijacked.

BigRedBuster trying to make the thread about himself... in order to stop meaningful discussion...

CM once again trying to make the thread about Pelini (a former coach who will never return)... in order to stop meaningful discussion.

This is the best Nebraska football discussion board with some very intelligent and loyal fans who want the best for our program.

Unfortunately there are those here who do not want these subjects talked about and they are willing to wreck the place in order to stop that from happening.

Quite happy to (and have been) focused on Eichorst. His behavior toward Pelini is obviously a major component in evaluating him, but I'm happy to acknowledge the decision he made and not re-hash it.

Like I said, you may agree with the decision and be happy about it, but acknowledge that the leader of our athletic department has demonstrated he lacks integrity and leadership qualities. We should recognize it from Part I of this saga, but some still have the blinder on.

By the way, please note, I wasn't the one to mention Bo in this thread.

Heck, in his own ham handed fashion, Eichorst raised the issue of Pelini in the interview that is the basis of this thread.

• Fire 1

Amazing. Gave him the recruiting budget to fix things.... In one year (and not even a full recruiting cycle).

Even the lip service paid to the "support" the admin gave doesn't stand up to even light scrutiny.

The lie is in the explanation for the firing (at the time it was about "winning games that matter"; now it's apparently because Bo was a bad representative of the U... Yet between the previous november and November '14, Bo had significantly rehabilitated his image and had controlled his temper very well.

So that's why it was hard to believe Eichorst didn't have the agenda from day 1.

The other obvious lie is that he had a policy about not voicing opinions during a season. Clearly that's only employed when it's self-serving.

Like I said, you can agree with his decision but don't try to pretend the guy has integrity or is a real leader.

I'm gonna stick with Post #57, which you've done absolutely nothing to refute.

• Fire 1

Another thread hijacked.

BigRedBuster trying to make the thread about himself... in order to stop meaningful discussion...

CM once again trying to make the thread about Pelini (a former coach who will never return)... in order to stop meaningful discussion.

This is the best Nebraska football discussion board with some very intelligent and loyal fans who want the best for our program.

Unfortunately there are those here who do not want these subjects talked about and they are willing to wreck the place in order to stop that from happening.

Uhm....the thread is about Shawn Eichorst's views on building a football program and how we need to gauge expectation and progress.

While I don't agree with every view expressed, I don't see where the discussion went off the tracks.

Pretty sure the OP expected a lively discussion.

• Fire 1

A. Bo said the things he was expected to say in that position. Shawn Eichorst said the things he was expected to say in that position. You don't understand "click bait."

The entire narrative of "he dared them to fire him" was started off a headline to an online article (IIRC, it was USAToday) that was most definitely "click bait."

Are you referring to what Bo said at the '13 Iowa PC or later when he said he was receiving the support he needed?

B. Some fans and influential alums wanted to fire Bo in 2013, too. If Eichorst wanted to fire him after Iowa 2013 it would hardly have been a maverick agenda, and history ended up justifying it anyway. As it was, Shawn Eichorst did what a clear majority of fans (and Tom) wanted: alerted Bo that the status quo was unacceptable, gave him the recruiting budget and resources to improve his situation, and another season to prove himself on the field.

Actually, let's just address this up front: we know from Osborne's own words, that a record like 9-3 shoudl not result in a firing, so your notion that TO set a standard at "exceeding the status quo" is either misguided or disingenuous. Even if a percentage of people wanted Bo fired in '13, it was far from a majority, or even a significant minority (go back to the polls from that time period... heck, go back to the polls from 2014 before he was fired). Some message board warriors may have been vocal in calling for changes, but the "rank and file" husker fans who post to article comment sections using their FB profiles and who were interviewed most certainly weren't calling for heads after the Iowa game in '13 or the Iowa game in '14.
That's all I'm going to say about the firing, because, as I said, we don't have to agree or disagree on that to get at the analysis of whether Eichorst is a snake (hired by another snake).

C. That means Eichorst's tepid and conditional "support" of Bo wasn't a lie, and actually reflected a significant portion of the fanbase. Even after the Wisconsin debacle, Bo probably could have stuck it to Eichorst by beating Minnesota the next week. He didn't. And if Eichorst's "support" of Bo was as "bland and lawyerly" as it gets, you'd have to note that Bo Pelini's "support" of Nebraska was as childish and unprofessional as it gets. It doesn't take much imagination to believe that Bo said even worse sh#t behind the scenes, and the reason Eichorst chose his words like a lawyer is because that was the smart thing to do.

So where exactly is the lie? I mean holy hell, read this board. Virtually every Riley critic starts off by saying "Don't get me wrong, it was time for Bo to go but...."

Either those are lies, or you agree that Eichorst did the right thing.

Same comments as above: 1. I won't rehash the underlying merits of the decision to fire Bo. 2. Someone can express an opinion and not be lying, unless their expressed opinion isn't really what they think. Whether Eichorst did the right thing or not has no relevance to whether he lacks integrity and leadership qualities. And whether current critics of Riley agreed with firing Bo has even less relevance (as in less than none).

Someone can express an opinion and not be lying, unless their expressed opinion isn't really what they think.

Welcome to the world of anyone who has ever had a press microphone put in front of them.

Let's make this real simple:

If a majority of Husker fans NOW realize that Bo had to go, then Shawn Eichorst was a man ahead of his time.

Bada-bing, bada-boom.

• Fire 3

Amazing. Gave him the recruiting budget to fix things.... In one year (and not even a full recruiting cycle).

Even the lip service paid to the "support" the admin gave doesn't stand up to even light scrutiny.

The lie is in the explanation for the firing (at the time it was about "winning games that matter"; now it's apparently because Bo was a bad representative of the U... Yet between the previous november and November '14, Bo had significantly rehabilitated his image and had controlled his temper very well.

So that's why it was hard to believe Eichorst didn't have the agenda from day 1.

The other obvious lie is that he had a policy about not voicing opinions during a season. Clearly that's only employed when it's self-serving.

Like I said, you can agree with his decision but don't try to pretend the guy has integrity or is a real leader.

Bo is gone. He ain't coming back. Get over it. f#*k!

And no that does not mean I am completely happy or satisfied with Riley. Bo was taking us nowhere. His 9 wins per year meant dick squat. Let him go.

• Fire 3

Can't say I agree with Eichorst here:

We were in every ballgame with a chance to win every ballgame, which I think is the standard here.

You may not like the statement, but what he said is true. Of the seven losses that we had the only game I feel they wern't in was Purdue. Whether anyone likes that or not is there opinion. The BYU, Miami, Illinois, Wisconsin, NW, and Iowa games all came down to the wire and Nebraska could have won them. The fact that NU didn't win them sucks, but his statement isn't false.

I wish the part about that being the standard was false. An D that thinks it is true should not be employed by Nebraska.

• Fire 1

We were in every ballgame with a chance to win every ballgame, which I think is the standard here.

NU "shouldn't be in the ballgame" with teams like Illinois, BYU, Purdue, and even Northwestern. NU should be getting enough talent and coaching so that those are no contests in the 4th quarter and not coming down to the last minutes.
m

Why though? Just because we are Nebraska?

Look, I agree, I think we should blow out those teams, give it some f'ing time.

• Fire 3

If a majority of Husker fans NOW realize that Bo had to go, then Shawn Eichorst was a man ahead of his time.

The state of Husker football is a hundredfold bigger than "Bo had to go". He's gone.....who cares? Are you still celebrating Pelini's ouster so much you can't see the train wreck that is now Husker football? Osborne and Pelini are both gone. We went 6-7. Good gawd man!

• Fire 2

NU "shouldn't be in the ballgame" with teams like Illinois, BYU, Purdue, and even Northwestern. NU should be getting enough talent and coaching so that those are no contests in the 4th quarter and not coming down to the last minutes.
m

Why though? Just because we are Nebraska?

Look, I agree, I think we should blow out those teams, give it some f'ing time.

Because our resources are about 100000x that of those four teams, and our recruiting is far superior as well. Period.