Louisiana Governor Threatens Cancellation of LSU Football Season if Tax Increases Aren't Passed

Mavric

Question I have.....

So....I take it their athletic department isn't self sustainable like Nebraska's is?

I don't think that matters. I think what this Governor is saying, basically, is if kids going to LSU get incompletes on their classes because staff isn't getting paid, then the players are ineligible making the team not able to play.

Maybe i read that wrong? But that's how I took it.

This is not going to happen... LSU football will be fine.

But it makes me think.....

For some people out there... this possibility was about the same as a sexual fantasy.

Far left wacky people would love nothing more than to just out right outlaw football as it is a demonstration of toxic masculinity. And it's not just football either. Competition should be outlawed.

Here is hoping those types of mindsets never gain traction.

I have never heard of these people. So I think you're likely making this crap up over concussion safety issues and for some reason you're attaching the desire for keeping football players from getting a disease that causes depression and suicidal tendencies to some liberal "agenda" you've devised in your head.

I'm sure there are a handful of people in the U.S. who think along the lines of what you've just described but there aren't enough to make them worthy of being posted about and there's no evidence that they're "far left."

I personally know people who don't like sports and wish the University had no part in it. If they had their way, the University would be strictly academic.
There's a big difference between wanting UNL or universities in general to be strictly academic and outlawing football/competition due to their masculinity.
  • Fire 1

LINK

BATON ROUGE — Nicholls State University could be forced to close temporarily this year even under the best-case budget scenario presented to the Louisiana Legislature under a plan submitted to the University of Louisiana System.

"Surely it won't come to that, but that is the current plan presented," University of Louisiana System President Dan Reneau said.

But state Sen. Norby Chabert, R-Houma, a Nicholls State graduate, said he won't have it.

• Fire 1

For some people out there... this possibility was about the same as a sexual fantasy.

Far left wacky people would love nothing more than to just out right outlaw football as it is a demonstration of toxic masculinity. And it's not just football either. Competition should be outlawed.

I have never heard of these people. So I think you're likely making this crap up over concussion safety issues and for some reason you're attaching the desire for keeping football players from getting a disease that causes depression and suicidal tendencies to some liberal "agenda" you've devised in your head.

I'm sure there are a handful of people in the U.S. who think along the lines of what you've just described but there aren't enough to make them worthy of being posted about and there's no evidence that they're "far left."

I personally know people who don't like sports and wish the University had no part in it. If they had their way, the University would be strictly academic.
There's a big difference between wanting UNL or universities in general to be strictly academic and outlawing football/competition due to their masculinity.

There is also a big difference between some nimrod spouting off nonsense and commonly held beliefs. The people who do think like tmfr15 described would be in the vast, vast minority. Such a minority that it makes one wonder why such a thing was even brought up in this thread.

They're also idiots either way? :)

Athletics are important for many, many reasons. Although their importance has been greatly mutilated by the spectacle they've become. That was directed at no one in particular b t dubs.

Athletics are important for many, many reasons. Although their importance has been greatly mutilated by the spectacle they've become. That was directed at no one in particular b t dubs.

I love college football obviously but there are those who think it's the most important purpose of the University of Nebraska and they balance out those who think universities should be purely academic.
  • Fire 1

I love college football obviously but there are those who think it's the most important purpose of the University of Nebraska and they balance out those who think universities should be purely academic.
Good point. It does cut both ways. Obviously both extremes are in the minority.

Question I have.....

So....I take it their athletic department isn't self sustainable like Nebraska's is?

LSU's athletic department is self sustaining. They are 1 of 7 department that can say that, along with us. The list is in one of the articles I posted above.

My SIL's brother was an Associate AD at LSU and he is worried for the school. If a bunch of the programs get shut down because of budget cuts, it will drastically affect the Athletic Department. What St. Paul said earlier is correct about student athletes becoming ineligible. If the student athlete's classes gets cut, they will receive an incomplete grade which will make them ineligible. He had mentioned that they would have to go to the NCAA and see if something different could be done but said it would be a long shot.

I was wanting someone from a school with more athletic success than Iowa, K state, and Oregon st.

Read the board, Trev's name has been thrown around on here a lot in the past year.

Pulled the above from another thread. This is the other end of the spectrum that I was referring to earlier in this thread. There are people who think Perlman is awful but they ignore that he has many other important responsibilities and quite a few of them are more important than football. If you're going to argue he's bad at his job, list some evidence about UNL's research and grant funding and degree value.

Apparently there are lunatics out there who think Perlman's job is something that Trev Alberts, who doesn't have a master's let alone a Phd, is qualified to do.

• 1 month later...

So, I came across a mention of Bobby Jindal today -- the former Lousiana governor, serving from Jan '08 to Jan '16 -- and it reminded me of this topic.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/how-bobby-jindal-wrecked-louisiana/

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/01/bobby_jindal_frustrations.html

That legislator is a Democrat, but Republicans say the same thing: that Jindal is sacking his own state to preserve his viability as a Republican presidential candidate — specifically, so he can say that he never raised taxes, but rather cut them. Even Quin Hillyer, the conservative columnist for the Advocate, thinks the state’s tax policy, under which the poor pay a greater percentage of their income in taxes than the rich, is a “moral abomination.”

--The American Conservative

The $700-million-to-$750-million current budget deficit must be resolved by June 30 under Louisiana law, or higher education institutions will start widespread faculty furloughs and layoffs to stay afloat. The health department would shutter programs like pediatric day health care, for "medically fragile" children without a quick influx of cash, according to officials.

--(NOLA.com)

It looks to me like a legitimately urgent budget crisis faced as a result of self-wrought revenue cuts that ran too deep; I believe Kansas has been under some kind of similar experiment. I don't of course know much about Louisiana's situation, and I'd be interested in a counter perspective.

It looks to me like a legitimately urgent budget crisis faced as a result of self-wrought revenue cuts that ran too deep; I believe Kansas has been under some kind of similar experiment. I don't of course know much about Louisiana's situation, and I'd be interested in a counter perspective.

Got this article forwarded to me by a friend living in the s**t show of a state that is now Kansas.

The Republican Party Must Answer for What It Did to Kansas and Louisiana

It brings up some good points, especially that because of the Trump (Drumpf) phenomenon, the media has been remiss in questioning the GOP candidates on failed states like Kansas and Louisiana whose fiscal actions (e.g. cutting taxes, education, welfare) are the same proposals these candidates are making for the Federal level.

Of note re: Kansas' Governor and his fiscal cuts:

The Koch-backed Kansas Policy Institute predicted that Brownback’s 2013 tax plan would generate $323 million in new revenue. During its first full year in operation, the plan produced a $688 million loss. Meanwhile, Kansas’s job growth actually trailed that of its neighboring states. With that nearly $700 million deficit, the state had bought itself a 1.1 percent increase in jobs, just below Missouri’s 1.5 percent and Colorado’s 3.3.

So, that Koch-based "Kansas Policy Institute" was off in their STATE fiscal forecast to the tune of over $1 billion U.S. in their estimated impact of Brownback's tax and spending cuts. IN ONE (FISCAL) YEAR. Think about Nebraska and how being off by $1 Billion U.S. in one year would decimate this state.

If such a firm worked in the real world, with non-dirty Tea Party members and money fueling it, they would have lost their jobs and their asses out on the street in a heartbeat. Instead, it was a bunch of overworked, underpaid teachers, government and social welfare workers, and welfare recipients that were impacted instead.

This and Louisiana are two prime, ongoing, examples of why Tea Party politics and ideology do not work and why any sane person should reject these people and their ignorance-cum-policy.

• Fire 1

I am shocked. Completely shocked. He must be the best money manager in the history of money.

Edwards announced March 24 that $40 million of the $70 million budget hole could be handled through savings and efficiencies in the Department of Health and Hospitals. The remaining $30 million would have to come from cuts, but no more from higher education, which had opened the special session with warnings about the end of TOPS and the shuttering of campuses.

The announcement echoed what legislators were used to hearing from Jindal. When facing a budget downturn, Jindal would frequently say he had found new and innovative ways to save money, though typically only after legislators had made other budget changes Jindal wanted. This $40 million in savings was announced only after lawmakers agreed to make some financial changes Edwards wanted, including raising taxes.
"All of the sudden, they magically come up with efficiencies," said state Rep. John Schroder, R-Covington, a member of the House Appropriations Committee that handles the budget. "We find all kinds of magical money to make things work."

Link

I am shocked. Completely shocked. He must be the best money manager in the history of money.

Edwards announced March 24 that $40 million of the $70 million budget hole could be handled through savings and efficiencies in the Department of Health and Hospitals. The remaining $30 million would have to come from cuts, but no more from higher education, which had opened the special session with warnings about the end of TOPS and the shuttering of campuses.

The announcement echoed what legislators were used to hearing from Jindal. When facing a budget downturn, Jindal would frequently say he had found new and innovative ways to save money, though typically only after legislators had made other budget changes Jindal wanted. This $40 million in savings was announced only after lawmakers agreed to make some financial changes Edwards wanted, including raising taxes.
"All of the sudden, they magically come up with efficiencies," said state Rep. John Schroder, R-Covington, a member of the House Appropriations Committee that handles the budget. "We find all kinds of magical money to make things work."

Link

Jindal was doing that with hundreds of millions of dollars from groups that were already squeezing blood from stones.

$40 million from an $8 Billion budget (per the same article) which is entirely possible and plausible that it was found this late in the game. That's .005% of that department's annual budget we're talking about here--a favorable shift in the wind can generate those savings, and it wouldn't be discovered until the last minute.

And, let's be honest--Jindal was an incompetent Tea Party crook that was exposed and used up whatever goodwill he had banked in office. Edwards just started and honestly made a lot of the right moves to try and correct the proven sorry state Jindal left things in. Edwards deserves some latitude and assumption of positive intent while he tries to clean that mess up.

• Fire 2