Cutting the Cord

Also I haven't tried the recording yet. I'll try it out for the Big Bang Theory tonight

Sweet. I plan to just get an antenna for those local channels you talked about not being able to get. That should cover cbs, fox, nbc, pbs and whatever else.

Before my girlfriend moved in with me, she had an antenna for her apartment and we watched the Super Bowl 48 on Fox on it and the picture was really clear. Kinda blew my mind since I expected the old fuzzy antenna broadcast

Also I haven't tried the recording yet. I'll try it out for the Big Bang Theory tonight

Sweet. I plan to just get an antenna for those local channels you talked about not being able to get. That should cover cbs, fox, nbc, pbs and whatever else.

Before my girlfriend moved in with me, she had an antenna for her apartment and we watched the Super Bowl 48 on Fox on it and the picture was really clear. Kinda blew my mind since I expected the old fuzzy antenna broadcast

I didn't know this before, but after reading a bunch of info, you will actually get a better picture via the cable. Cable companies have to compress the feed, which causes a worse picture apparently. So, basically regardless what you have for cable, the recommendation would be to have an antenna of some sort for your basic channels.

Little tidbit I picked up from researching all this stuff.

I've been trying to find a list of the cities that have local channels. When I looked at their site the other day, I put in my zip code and switched to Denver, which would be fine because those are the local channels we get anyway. Still curious to find the list though.

Well I'm on day 2 and I just don't think this Vue is for me for these 4 reasons:

- HD quality

- Monthly data limit

- DVR records only save for 28 days

- No local channels

HD Quality

The HD quality, I think is just as good as Netflix but I can't shake the grainy tint it gives out. Switching back and forth I can really tell the difference in picture quality between the Vue and DirecTV. After watching TV on the Vue over time you get used to it and it looks good but once I switch to DirecTV, its a clear day and night difference in picture quality. I wasn't too pleased with the HD quality for the Big Ten Network when they re-aired the Michigan State 2015 tournament basketball game last night. Watching it on DirecTV there are times were it looks like the picture is in 3D with the dynamic range the picture gives us but with the Vue you don't get that it at makes if feel like its in SD rather than in HD even though its streaming in HD if that makes any sense. The HD quality may not bug anyone but for someone that is picky in this area, its a big issue for me.

Monthly data limit

I didn't realize that my internet provider is now giving their customers a monthly data limit until I ordered the UFC 196 fights a few weeks ago. I have a 300gb monthly limit and now with my kid watching Netflix in his room and watching Vue, its eating at my data limit. Not only that but I use my modem and wifi for cellphones, laptops and gaming too. I just know I'll go over the 300gb limit with all of the streaming I'll be viewing within that month.

DVR records only lasting 28 days

I have several games and shows on my DVR that I watch on a constant basis so this would affect me greatly during the off season when I want to watch a comeback or thrilling Husker win. I still have games from 2013 and 2014 on my DVR lol.

No Local Channels

I know this may not be a biggie for some and I can still get them with an antenna but there are several shows my wife likes to record when were not home and there could be some Husker games on ABC that I would like to record. This could be added down the road later but at the moment its something thats a deal breaker with the wife.

I think the wife and I are going to look into Dish with their lock their price for 3 years and after that time has come and gone, maybe Vue will advance into something more powerful and greater with better features. Hopefully they'll expand the cloud DVR expiration from 28 days to infinity. Also maybe they'll provide their viewers with a software update to fix the grainy picture with a much more clearer picture.

I think down the road if the Vue picks up some steam, it could be a huge Satellite/Cable killer but it has some kinks to work out before it will take over Satellite.

• Fire 1

Well I'm on day 2 and I just don't think this Vue is for me for these 4 reasons:

- HD quality

- Monthly data limit

- No local channels

HD Quality

The HD quality, I think is just as good as Netflix but I can't shake the grainy tint it gives out. Switching back and forth I can really tell the difference in picture quality between the Vue and DirecTV. After watching TV on the Vue over time you get used to it and it looks good but once I switch to DirecTV, its a clear day and night difference in picture quality. I wasn't too pleased with the HD quality for the Big Ten Network when they re-aired the Michigan State 2015 tournament basketball game last night. Watching it on DirecTV there are times were it looks like the picture is in 3D with the dynamic range the picture gives us but with the Vue you don't get that it at makes if feel like its in SD rather than in HD even though its streaming in HD if that makes any sense. The HD quality may not bug anyone but for someone that is picky in this area, its a big issue for me.

Monthly data limit

I didn't realize that my internet provider is now giving their customers a monthly data limit until I ordered the UFC 196 fights a few weeks ago. I have a 300gb monthly limit and now with my kid watching Netflix in his room and watching Vue, its eating at my data limit. Not only that but I use my modem and wifi for cellphones, laptops and gaming too. I just know I'll go over the 300gb limit with all of the streaming I'll be viewing within that month.

I have several games and shows on my DVR that I watch on a constant basis so this would affect me greatly during the off season when I want to watch a comeback or thrilling Husker win. I still have games from 2013 and 2014 on my DVR lol.

No Local Channels

I know this may not be a biggie for some and I can still get them with an antenna but there are several shows my wife likes to record when were not home and there could be some Husker games on ABC that I would like to record. This could be added down the road later but at the moment its something thats a deal breaker with the wife.

I think the wife and I are going to look into Dish with their lock their price for 3 years and after that time has come and gone, maybe Vue will advance into something more powerful and greater with better features. Hopefully they'll expand the cloud DVR expiration from 28 days to infinity. Also maybe they'll provide their viewers with a software update to fix the grainy picture with a much more clearer picture.

I think down the road if the Vue picks up some steam, it could be a huge Satellite/Cable killer but it has some kinks to work out before it will take over Satellite.

Out of those issues you have, the only one that would effect me is the grainy picture. So you aren't having issues with the stream? (like it stops and starts, etc) just not the best picture? Is it better when it is something that is live?) also, you said you have a strong signal for wifi? Have you tried connecting the PlayStation with a cord directly to your router?

I read that can help with the signal if that's an issue.

- HD quality

- Monthly data limit

- No local channels

HD Quality

Monthly data limit

No Local Channels

Out of those issues you have, the only one that would effect me is the grainy picture. So you aren't having issues with the stream? (like it stops and starts, etc) just not the best picture? Is it better when it is something that is live?) also, you said you have a strong signal for wifi? Have you tried connecting the PlayStation with a cord directly to your router?

My PS4 is connected directly into my modem

I haven't experienced any buffering but I have experienced a bit of skipping or jumping as if it was lagging. That has only happened maybe 2 or 3 times.

Now with the grainy picture, you won't really tell its there unless you're switching back and forth from your cable/satellite provider to the Vue. After watching the Vue over time without switching over to DirecTV it looks good but I wasn't too impressed with the Big Ten's picture quality. There have been times while watching a show or a sporting event that it looks HD and then at times it doesn't look like its in HD.

I'm sure Sony will fix these issues with a software update. Just do the free 7 day trial and check it out yourself because some people may not be as picky as I am when it comes to picture quality haha.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally turned off my cable the other day.

Currently paying for Hulu & Netflix. About $20 per month. Got Amazon Prime for $99 per year, but it pays more than pays for itself in shipping charges I don't pay.

Getting all kinds of good stuff for free by leeching off my brother-in-law's Direct TV. Starz, Encore, HBO, Showtime, ESPN, History, NBC, ABC, Fox, ect. ect. (he uses my Netflix and Amazon Prime).

- HD quality

- Monthly data limit

- No local channels

HD Quality

Monthly data limit

No Local Channels

My PS4 is connected directly into my modem

I haven't experienced any buffering but I have experienced a bit of skipping or jumping as if it was lagging. That has only happened maybe 2 or 3 times.

Now with the grainy picture, you won't really tell its there unless you're switching back and forth from your cable/satellite provider to the Vue. After watching the Vue over time without switching over to DirecTV it looks good but I wasn't too impressed with the Big Ten's picture quality. There have been times while watching a show or a sporting event that it looks HD and then at times it doesn't look like its in HD.

I'm sure Sony will fix these issues with a software update. Just do the free 7 day trial and check it out yourself because some people may not be as picky as I am when it comes to picture quality haha.

Sounds like compression. That's the plus with DirecTV, you should be getting native 1080P signal, while most fiber/cable TV services are still 720P/1080i. I "had" Verizon FiOS, but they recently completed a sell off to Frontier on 04/01, and all the account based streaming stuff is borked. They better have it straightened out by Saturday so I can watch the game...

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I finally checked out PS VUE. I like it, but feel like it's a bit choppy. I don't have very great internet yet.

Has anyone used this and upgraded their internet speed and had it make a big difference?

I can upgrade quite a bit, I just fear that it won't make a difference in my VUE experience. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...