Ex - Husker Parrella to be named Husker D-line coach

Mavric

I can't believe how wrapped up we as fans are about the DL coach. It's one assistant coach, not even the OC or DC. I can't even name the DL coach from the 95 team off the top of my head.

It important because of the abject failure of DL recruiting this year more then anything else. We have some underclassmen coming up but its goddamn bare after that. Its going to be the single biggest recruiting need this coming year.

Are the other coaches not going to recruit the DL?

I'm sure others will, but it's important for the position coach to make connections with potential d-line recruits since he is the one they will be working with the most if they come to Nebraska.

And as fans we have any insight into whether this is true for one DL coach vs another? Much ado about nothing.

I can fully understand the interest in the subject. It's the off season and we have nothing else to discuss.

What I can't figure out is what this "splash hire" is supposed to look like as s D line coach that some people seem to think we should have made.

Do these people really think they know who the top D line coach prospects are in the country and they know that JP is not on the list?

They must be way more in touch with coaching circles than I am.

• Fire 2

This hire reminds me of a move USC made years ago when they hired Ken Norton Jr. as a assistant coach. Norton Jr. had only a few years of experience coaching in high school but was a solid hire for the program.

USC is a silver platter of talent. Any DL coach would excel there. This isn't a fair comparison either.

182263949.0.jpg

Last time I checked, Kiffin wasn't a defensive line coach but good job digging up the photo.

This hire reminds me of a move USC made years ago when they hired Ken Norton Jr. as a assistant coach. Norton Jr. had only a few years of experience coaching in high school but was a solid hire for the program.

USC is a silver platter of talent. Any DL coach would excel there. This isn't a fair comparison either.

182263949.0.jpg

Last time I checked, Kiffin wasn't a defensive line coach but good job digging up the photo.

You really did miss the point of his photo didn't you?

• Fire 1

You don't just throw talent out on a field and it plays. USC has always had talent, Texas has always had talent. Someone has to do something with that talent from the HC down. Mike Vrabel was hired at Ohio St as the linebacker coach immediatly after he retired from the NFL he had absolutely no coaching experience. He is now coaching in the NFL.

Give him a year before you hate him. Everyone hated Bray as a hire for linebackers. Now everyone wants to give him a raise so he doesn't leave for someplace else.

I don't think you've read my other posts. I'm supporting Parrella. I studied Bray at OSU before he officially came to Nebraska. From various videos of watching OSU practices, I loved his tenacity and hands on approach, and his confidence. I felt comfortable with the Bray hire and he has turned out to be the best one yet.

182263949.0.jpg

You really did miss the point of his photo didn't you?

Did you?

I like that so many people seem to like him and also that Riley and Banker have personal familiarity with him since before they were ever associated with Nebraska.

But his coaching resume so far is reaaaaaaaaally underwhelming. I hope all that excitement is well deserved. I'm not hard to get on board.

A former walk-on that played 12 years in the NFL. What experience does he need for you guys. He's been there, done that. That is what the kids are going to see and that is all that matters. The kids, not us old farts.

• Fire 1