Spring Position Battles - Quarterback

Mavric

One can't un-ring a bell, so the Illinois game stays as it is. I would imagine that if Riley and company knew this game was still being dissected in such great detail and with so much passion, they would be astonished, but that is the difference between Nebraska and Oregon State. I think Riley is still coming to grips with that.

We will see if Armstrong is given the green light (or even encouraged) to run more. That appears to be his strength, and not so much option pass plays with a checklist of routes and reads.

As for the guys behind him, I would really have to see some remarkable (even astonishing) passing to have them jump over Armstrong.

Armstrong was encouraged to run more last year, he chose to throw it more.

Sorry but that's just blatantly false.

It's not true that Tommy was encouraged to run more than the previous season, but it is true that given the option, Tommy chose pass over run more often than the coaches liked.

One can't un-ring a bell, so the Illinois game stays as it is. I would imagine that if Riley and company knew this game was still being dissected in such great detail and with so much passion, they would be astonished, but that is the difference between Nebraska and Oregon State. I think Riley is still coming to grips with that.

We will see if Armstrong is given the green light (or even encouraged) to run more. That appears to be his strength, and not so much option pass plays with a checklist of routes and reads.

As for the guys behind him, I would really have to see some remarkable (even astonishing) passing to have them jump over Armstrong.

No...I'm pretty sure Riley knew the end of the game was a cluster F*** at the same time the fans did.

It's not true that Tommy was encouraged to run more than the previous season, but it is true that given the option, Tommy chose pass over run more often than the coaches liked.

I didn't say he was encouraged to run more than the previous season, just that he was encouraged to run more than he did. Langsdorf said as much.

*Edit* responded to the wrong dude...lol, point still stands to the one who denied this point. And you said it better than I did. :)

I didn't say he was encouraged to run more than the previous season, just that he was encouraged to run more than he did. Langsdorf said as much.

*Edit* responded to the wrong dude...lol, point still stands to the one who denied this point. And you said it better than I did. :)

Tommy was told specifically to not run many, many times last year bc the coaches were terrified of him getting hurt. Tommy did look pass happy at times but more times than not, I don't think that was of his own accord.

Hmm, seems interesting. I was kind of operating under the impression that TA was choosing to run LESS at the advice of the coaches, as opposed to more. Out of curiosity, do you know of a link where Langs spoke about this?

Hmm, seems interesting. I was kind of operating under the impression that TA was choosing to run LESS at the advice of the coaches, as opposed to more. Out of curiosity, do you know of a link where Langs spoke about this?

I remember one game, probably Illinois, where the TV kept showing Langsdorf and other coaches talking and gesturing to Tommy on the sideline, and the broadcasters' interpretation was that the coaches were trying to get Tommy to take all that open ground on foot rather than force the pass. Something that had apparently been happening all game. I seem to recall the coaches confirming something similar in the presser afterwards or later that week.

I don't think anyone could ever claim that Tommy got much consistent instruction last year. In some interviews, coaches talked about him running less and throwing the ball away more. In others, they wanted the opposite.

Or at least according to the people who can interpret sideline hand motions....

• Fire 1

I think Tommy got very similar instruction in all three of his college football seasons and probably in his off-season tutoring from Brett Favre.

They don't want to totally lose the gunslinger in him, but they can't quite discipline him either. His instincts and mechanics are ingrained.

Tommy's got some issues. He shares them with a lot of dual threat QBs who can't quite get over the hump. Everyone sees pretty much the same promise and liability in Tommy's game.

Or it's all the new coaching staff's fault.

Hard call.

• Fire 6

I think Tommy got very similar instruction in all three of his college football seasons and probably in his off-season tutoring from Brett Favre.

They don't want to totally lose the gunslinger in him, but they can't quite discipline him either. His instincts and mechanics are ingrained.

Tommy's got some issues. He shares them with a lot of dual threat QBs who can't quite get over the hump. Everyone sees pretty much the same promise and liability in Tommy's game.

Or it's all the new coaching staff's fault.

Hard call.

Totes the staff, I mean it has to be

Q: How many interceptions would be the goal? Obviously, zero is the ultimate goal, but how many would you like?

A: Five.

Q: Five for the whole season?

A: Yes. Something like that. The other end of it, touchdown passes, was good. There were a lot of positives. But, offensively, there was one glaring negative, and that’s turnovers.

Q: Your two top quarterbacks, are they pretty much set in stone?

A: Yeah.

Q: Tommy Armstrong and Ryker Fyfe?

A: Yeah.

Q: No question?

A: I don’t like to say the door is closed to competition. I think that’s almost unfair, but I’ve also talked to these guys about where it stands and what I think will take place in the future. Tommy’s going to start. Ryker’s the backup. Will that change through competition in fall camp? It could. But, from what I know, I don’t think it will. But I’ve got to give people some hope, too. My encouragement would be to work hard.

OWH interview with Riley

I like the thought of POB redshirting. Let him see the game for a whole year while getting acclimated to the speed of the game, and learn the o to a tee. Then it will be open season for him, Gebbia and Lee. Obrien will have the book down a bit more than the others but Lee will be more experienced and Gebbia has the chemistry with potential incoming wrs and tons of skill. That competition will breed excellence when you have people all fighting to be theffective guy.

The last meeting of the week, Riley says, belongs to freshman quarterback Patrick O’Brien, whom Riley would like to see redshirt this year, despite having a strong spring.

OWH

I kind of hate that idea with a passion. If this happens AJ Bush better be ready to go.

The last meeting of the week, Riley says, belongs to freshman quarterback Patrick O’Brien, whom Riley would like to see redshirt this year, despite having a strong spring.

OWH

I kind of hate that idea with a passion. If this happens AJ Bush better be ready to go.

What do you mean? The idea of him redshirting? Why do you hate that idea with a passion?

OWH

What do you mean? The idea of him redshirting? Why do you hate that idea with a passion?

Because that cements Fyfe as #2 and that makes me more than a tad nervous.