Hillary and the classified emails

JJ, it is possible to realize a candidate's flaws, be honest about them, and still support them as the best remaining choice. Not all of us our blind partisans with our heads in the sand, and opinions vary for everybody.

I understand that. Like I said earlier, I can accept that some prefer Hillary to Trump. I don't really have any problem with that. Heck, on many days I prefer her to Trump but that doesn't mean I support or like either one of them. What I struggle with is when people begin to gloss over the shortcomings of either of them. I mean really, either one of them could behead a child on live TV and it would still be a tossup which of them was worse. I'm only exaggerating slightly with this example. I just hate to see people justify and defend her behavior in the email fiasco. It was wrong no matter how you spin it. If a person still likes her better than Trump, great, but that in no way makes what she did better or right. They've both passed the deal breaker point with me. I will not vote for either. I'm not particularly fond of some of Johnson's positions but at this point he has my vote.

BTW- there is a pretty good out if context line in there...

Laying the bait... :lol:

If I gave the impression that I was trying to gloss over the email issue like it was no big deal, that was not my intention. What I attempted to do was lay out a case as to how she was not charged for anything when most were busy gnashing their teeth.

I do not think it's not a big deal. It was a horrendously stupid thing to do. I'm not going to defend it. But at the same time, there's numerous other bits of ancillary info that make me feel less bad about it. The fact the State Dept servers got hacked. The fact that flaunting communication guidelines appears to be more commonplace than I previously realized. The fact our government cybersecurity appears to suck donkey balls. The fact our chief diplomat, responsible for probably more communication than any other government official than the president, can't get a secure Blackberry to do their job.

Again, it was a stupid thing to do. But to me, it fades into the background when presented with the immediate possibility of a buffoon like Trump leading my country.

• Fire 1

Fair enough. I guess the one that bothers me the most is "the fact our government cybersecurity appears to suck donkey balls". The billions of our dollars they squander but the cyber team apparently is operating with smoke signals and 2 empty soup cans with a string. Really, these people handle some information that needs to be secure, especially the SoS. They need a bulletproof system and then they need to make sure people use it or suffer the consequences of flaunting it. It shouldn't be an "aw shucks" I forgot or I chose to do it another way type of deal. They handle information that, in the wrong hands, can get Americans killed. Surely the DoD and our military has it figured out. Don't they?

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/clinton-fbi-emails-ap/2016/07/05/id/737190/

The AP even now highlights how Hillary's claims are all proven to be lies by what the FBI said yesterday. We are really between a rock and a hard place here. :bang One of these parties need to step up and either dump Trump or dump Hillary. Both have major issues and cannot be trusted. At this point I believe Hillary to be the worse of the 2 - but it is like choosing between what to cut off - your arm or your leg. Hillary has a life time of scandal and lies and self promotional interest. Trump is all self promotion wt 2 many issues to name here. The hard place is this: if Repubs/conservatives/indeps run to Gary Johnson - then Hillary gets elected. Johnson or another 3rd party guy has to appeal to the dems and the repubs and indeps who are discussed wt the current choices. That 3rd party candidate has to be strong enough to win the whole thing and not just throw the election to the 'lessor of 2 evils'. I don't see anyone capable of winning it as an indep. But the hope is that during this, the craziest election cycle I've ever seen, that another shoe drops and the dynamics will all change to get us out of this 'hard place'.

As stupid as it sounds it sure looks to be true.. Trump is nothing more than a plant to get Hillary elected!

Fair enough. I guess the one that bothers me the most is "the fact our government cybersecurity appears to suck donkey balls". The billions of our dollars they squander but the cyber team apparently is operating with smoke signals and 2 empty soup cans with a string. Really, these people handle some information that needs to be secure, especially the SoS. They need a bulletproof system and then they need to make sure people use it or suffer the consequences of flaunting it. It shouldn't be an "aw shucks" I forgot or I chose to do it another way type of deal. They handle information that, in the wrong hands, can get Americans killed. Surely the DoD and our military has it figured out. Don't they?

I'd imagine the DoD probably has the best cybersecurity of any branch. But here's an important tidbit:

Budget for FY2016, State Dept: $50.3 billion

Budget for FY2016, DoD: $585.3 billion

Predictably, the DoD budget dwarfs that of any other department. So they've got vastly more billions to squander. Lots of folks figure that we allocate way to much money to defense anyway and that we could be much more judicious there. I'd certainly hope they take some of that insane amount of money and develop a competent IT protocol.

Even as I followed this email saga, I found examples of the State Dept not being able to coordinate with the CIA re: airstrikes in the Middle East because... it appeared the CIA didn't want them to. Basically, they were given input into whether to strike, but the CIA in many cases got them notification so late that the State Dept was left to either contact them through an unsecure, "low side" channel (not proper protocol) or not give input at all. This type of inter-department power struggle seems odd to me, as a neutral observer, in regards to national security.

As an aside, it really kind of pisses me off that Congress has time to slap together 5 panels to question Comey AND have Paul Ryan make a formal request to deny Clinton security briefings, and yet we've had Merrick Garland who has been nominated for months, sitting on the sidelines because the Senate doesn't think it's important he gets a vote. We've had two major SC cases in that time, one of which wound up deadlocked, because we've got an empty seat on the court. Spineless lot, McConnell and his colleagues are.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/james-comey-testimony/2016/07/clinton-untrue-statements-fbi-comey-225216

Rep. Trey Gowdy gets it right. There is no justification for Comey's comments and the justice dept's no prosecution. If this was anyone else, they'd be in jail by now. Two tier justice at work and another bit of evidence that Obama's most transparent administration was

a bag of horse manure from the beginning.

We need some guys like Special Prosecutor Archibald Cox, Attorney General Elliot L. Richardson and Deputy Attorney General William D. Ruckelshaus. Men of integrity who Nixon had to fire in order to keep the truth hidden. Now Hillary, who assisted in the congressional investiagation of Nixon, is being protected by her own lack of integrity attorney general and a spineless president.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/longterm/watergate/articles/102173-2.htm

http://www.politico.com/blogs/james-comey-testimony/2016/07/clinton-untrue-statements-fbi-comey-225216

Rep. Trey Gowdy gets it right. There is no justification for Comey's comments and the justice dept's no prosecution. If this was anyone else, they'd be in jail by now. Two tier justice at work and another bit of evidence that Obama's most transparent administration was

We need some guys like Special Prosecutor Archibald Cox, Attorney General Elliot L. Richardson and Deputy Attorney General William D. Ruckelshaus. Men of integrity who Nixon had to fire in order to keep the truth hidden. Now Hillary, who assisted in the congressional investiagation of Nixon, is being protected by her own lack of integrity attorney general and a spineless president.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/longterm/watergate/articles/102173-2.htm

Don't bottle it up. Tell us how you really feel.

• Fire 1

Comey: Clinton did not lie to the FBI

Hillary Clinton did not lie to FBI investigators during their probe into her use of a private server as secretary of state, FBI Director James Comey testified Thursday.

"We have no basis to conclude she lied to the FBI," Comey told House Oversight Chairman Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) during one of the hearing's opening exchanges.

Chaffetz then asked whether Clinton lied to the public. "That's a question I'm not qualified to answer. I can speak about what she said to the FBI," Comey said.

Asked whether Clinton lied under oath, Comey remarked that she did not do so to the FBI. Asked whether he had reviewed Clinton's testimony from last October's Benghazi hearing in which the former secretary of state told Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) that "there was nothing marked classified on my emails," Comey said that he had not.

Putting my Dem hat on for a moment... Gowdy is a completely partisan weasel. He blew $7 million in taxpayer funds leading the eighth Congressional investigation into Benghazi over 2 years to come to the same conclusion as the other ones. He's one of my two personally most disliked members of Congress, along with Jason Chaffetz, who chaired the panel today interviewing Comey.

Putting my Dem hat on for a moment... Gowdy is a completely partisan weasel. He blew $7 million in taxpayer funds leading the eighth Congressional investigation into Benghazi over 2 years to come to the same conclusion as the other ones. He's one of my two personally most disliked members of Congress, along with Jason Chaffetz, who chaired the panel today interviewing Comey.

I didn't know the guy till this video. Why should your statement make a difference with my opinion about what transpired in this conversation in the video?

It's completely mind-blowing that Hillary was not put under oath nor was her testimony recorded. This has gone from bad to worse for Hillary whose campaign just wants to wish away this story.

Don't bottle it up. Tell us how you really feel.

Funny, I figured I'd get a comment like that. Knapp - my frustration knows no bounds wt this election cycle. We have a foot in the mouth novice on one side and a hand in the jar criminal on the other side - I guess that is telling it like it is. Thanks - I needed that release! :wasted Just glad that I have family and friends and a good job and food on the table & faith & HuskerBoard buddies that will listen to me rant from time to time - that make life worthwhile! All of this other stuff is just a political game with moving pieces.