"Easiest" sport to coach...

I know we have some coaches here and some others that have opinions on coaching. In your mind what is the easiest sport to coach? I am thinking in the 12-18 age range.

I think I am gonna pick: Golf

Practice is basically playing a quick 9 holes

The players "cut" themselves because the lowest 5 (I think it is 5 in HS) are the ones that play

There is no conditioning or practice plans...no breaking down film.

On the day of the meet/tourney the head coaches usually head out first and play the course and then wait in the clubhouse.

No conditioning in golf? My HS coach must have missed that memo.

Ha...Did he actually make you guys run? Wait...he wasn't one of those golf coaches that made you do "sprints" with your golf bag on your back, was he?
No sprints, plenty of mile+ "warm ups" though. I was actually in favor of getting the blood pumping and loosening everything up. I would have preferred a half-mile jog before practice.

I don't believe any sport is easy to coach. If you truly believe it is easy, then you probably don't know enough about the sport to understand all the intricacies to it. Not trying to ruin your thread or be a jerk, just saying my opinion on it. I like to think Golf would be easy to coach too, but then I think to myself what would happen the first time a kid asks "why is my ball slicing?" I'd reply, I don't know, hit it straight.... I just don't know enough about it or plenty of other sports to coach them.

I don't believe any sport is easy to coach. If you truly believe it is easy, then you probably don't know enough about the sport to understand all the intricacies to it. Not trying to ruin your thread or be a jerk, just saying my opinion on it. I like to think Golf would be easy to coach too, but then I think to myself what would happen the first time a kid asks "why is my ball slicing?" I'd reply, I don't know, hit it straight.... I just don't know enough about it or plenty of other sports to coach them.

I think that Teach is saying which sport is easiest to coach for a school team. I would agree that golf would be pretty easy. Most of the players have their own PGA pros or swing coach that would help them with the mechanics of their swing. The high school golf coach is basically making sure the kids show up to each tournament on time and get some reps hitting balls. In my old high school, the golf coach was the physics teacher and he basically set hitting nets up in his classroom so the kids could hit balls when it was cold or rainy.

I have a friend who played on the UNL golf team that would greatly disagree with your assessment of their practice. Hours and hours and hours spent on the practice range perfecting their shots before they ever even step foot on the golf course. The coach would need to be able to see extremely fine points in their swings that would make huge differences.

That's why the really good golf coaches make a lot of money.

For me, I found softball the easiest but that is probably because it was the sport I liked coaching the most. I think that would be the key for anyone. The one you like coaching the most ends up being the easiest one to coach because you will dive into it 100%.

Bowling

Wait. Can you coach and drink beer at the same time?

-Serious now

The time, in season and out of season, in high school coaching is crazy. Summer camps, film break down, mandatory study hall, etc. Our baseball team this spring break is doing a 3 day, 2 night "boot camp", 24 hours per day - sleep in the locker room. No wonder coaches burn out and/or get divorced at a high rate.

Outside of knowledge of the game, this is my list of "easiest on the coaches" sports based on length of season and time spent in season.

1) Golf

2) Cross country

3) Bowling

4) Track

5) Swimming

6) Wrestling

7) Baseball

8) Volleyball

9) Basketball

10) Football

I think in large part some are higher on your list than others is because they are more popular as fan spectator sports. Maybe you can scare by as a cross country coach and nobody is going to care.

However, if you truly are going to be hood at what you do and fight for state championships, it can be a very hard and technical sport to coach.

Hell, I could go coach a football team if nobody cares if we are good or not.

Bowling

-Serious now

The time, in season and out of season, in high school coaching is crazy. Summer camps, film break down, mandatory study hall, etc. Our baseball team this spring break is doing a 3 day, 2 night "boot camp", 24 hours per day - sleep in the locker room. No wonder coaches burn out and/or get divorced at a high rate.

Outside of knowledge of the game, this is my list of "easiest on the coaches" sports based on length of season and time spent in season.

1) Golf

2) Cross country

3) Bowling

4) Track

5) Swimming

6) Wrestling

7) Baseball

8) Volleyball

9) Basketball

10) Football

Lol, coaching volleyball is NOT harder to coach than baseball or wrestling.

Bowling

-Serious now

1) Golf

2) Cross country

3) Bowling

4) Track

5) Swimming

6) Wrestling

7) Baseball

8) Volleyball

9) Basketball

10) Football

What's your experience coaching volleyball?

Bowling

-Serious now

1) Golf

2) Cross country

3) Bowling

4) Track

5) Swimming

6) Wrestling

7) Baseball

8) Volleyball

9) Basketball

10) Football

What's your experience coaching volleyball?

Beach volleyball. He coached them on how to undo wedgies.