OWH: Perlman Leaves NU with Complicated Legacy

Bo trashed this place on his way out the door and was a headache for years.

I don't see why Nebraska should maintain a respectful PR front like they're doing with Connie Yori and have largely done with Bo. He was a stain on the school who publicly clashed with his administration, and that aspect of his legacy is better repudiated than glossed over. We can *mostly* agree that "pulling a Bo" is a bad thing, and for me wryly pointing that out is fine.

• Fire 4

I don't see how that is an insult to Osborne.

I retract my original post. I was going off of a news article that took it out of context and implied that it was one of the examples of "dry wit." In actuality, he seems to be saying that his "failures" are more reflective of how high TO set the bar as a coach. Of course that begs the question, if those results may be unattainable or "truly extraordinary" then why are we firing coaches for just missing the mark?

Here's the article, which I actually think gets a few things wrong based on the actual transcript (e.g., this comment is actually completely out of context and somewhat the opposite of what he said: "He remains confident the “level of consistent high achievement can be replicated,” even as the challenges facing intercollegiate athletics mount up.")

Here's a transcript of the speech for those that are interested.

I do agree with him that the NCAA has lost its moral authority with respect to governing college athletics.

• Fire 2

I will just put this in here as it pertains to the AAU issue.

It's going to be so funny when this happens and because people are so ill informed they will just hate on Perlman even more.

Under his watch, the University has moved forward with creating closer ties to UNMC. One major part of that is putting campus for their nursing school in Lincoln. Right now it is located in a building on O street and a new (what is supposed to be very nice) building to house the UNL Nursing school will be built on campus. It's needed. But, this is being done in part due to the AAU issue. I'm sure this is not the only thing going on but it's the part I'm aware of.

Now....At some point, I would guess that we will be back in the AAU. However, all the Perlman haters will say....Aaaaah Haaaaa....See, it took a new guy to come in and clean up his mess.

As for him not attending the events at the meetings. I remember reading articles at the time. The votes were basically decided. The reason he had "Become increasingly isolated" wasn't because of him. They had basically ostracized him from the group. Now...if you were around a group of people that didn't want you around, would you then get on a bus and go to supper with them? Again, their minds had been made up based on their elitist view of what we spend our research money on.

That said....I would like to know how the University has been adversely affected by not being in the AAU.

Here's an article from the Houston Chronicle that provides much of the timeline and highlights the AAU's underhanded approach to the whole ordeal:

http://chronicle.com/article/Ouster-Opens-a-Painful-Debate/127364/

Also, someone else mentioned that Penn State was one of the AAU schools pushing for DoNU's ouster--my understanding was Texas (mostly) and Michigan were spearheading this. Graham Spanier, who was a former DoNU chancellor, was at the helm of Penn State at the time (up to the Sandusky outing, IIRC), so I don't think he was involved, or we would have heard all sorts of crap about it.

And it all stems from the AAU wanting to not count agriculture research money towards dollars of research a University obtains. We still would have had enough to cover the accounting issue if UNMC were not treated as a separate entitiy, but (again, IIRC), for tax and political purposes, it was spun off and considered separate, and Harvey didn't want to bring them in, and the feeling may have been mutual. There was one other school that was up for the axe (Syracuse) that chose to resign from the AAU instead of force a vote like we did.

No, Harvey did some things right during his tenure--getting us out of the Big XII and calling Texass on their bluff, getting us into the B1G, and fighting for us re: AAU membership and forcing a vote were good things. But unfortunately there sooooooooooo much bad, that even Mother Teresa or Pope Francis wouldn't be able to overcome it. Case-in-point:

There you go bringing facts into this.

Like I said...

Way to make us look stupid Harvey.

If Bo Pelini didn't want to be made fun of maybe he shouldn't have given them the ammunition. I simply don't see this as a huge deal, more like a tiny anthill.

Of course you don't see it as a huge deal...

Why should I? The man cracked a joke, get the eff over it.

Yup, he cracked a joke and now media around the country are laughing at us for looking stupid.

No big deal.

Then that's on the media. We can't do much to a person who said something on their way out the door.

Pelini proved that, too.

It's not the media's fault that Harvey had to get the last word and act like a child. They simply reported on what he said, and the irony of it all.

Bo's been gone for 18 months. Harvey is the damned chancellor, he should know better. Perlman and Pelini deserved each other.

It's not Harvey's fault that the media doesn't know how to take a joke or that the media is to stupid to recognize it as one. Or maybe it's just the media trying to be all sensitive and butthurt over anything and everything. You know, like they do on a daily basis...

It's Harvey's fault for opening his mouth and saying something stupid where the only possible towards the university was not good.

"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

You can try to defend what he said all day long, but it's simply spin.

Some don't see it as stupid. Some see it as funny. That's not anymore spin than people vilifying him for it.

It's both. I found it amusing at first (even if it was childish), but as soon as it hit social media, the focus was turned from Perlman dissing Bo, to NU not getting over it.

Well there you go. It's the media. Not Harvey.

tumblr_myy2yekXjj1rrx588o1_500.gif

C'mon man. You can't say something was funny until the media spun it a different way and now you think it was stupid.

I said it was both.

Like I said...

If Bo Pelini didn't want to be made fun of maybe he shouldn't have given them the ammunition. I simply don't see this as a huge deal, more like a tiny anthill.

Yup, he cracked a joke and now media around the country are laughing at us for looking stupid.

No big deal.

Then that's on the media. We can't do much to a person who said something on their way out the door.

Pelini proved that, too.

It's not the media's fault that Harvey had to get the last word and act like a child. They simply reported on what he said, and the irony of it all.

Bo's been gone for 18 months. Harvey is the damned chancellor, he should know better. Perlman and Pelini deserved each other.

It's not Harvey's fault that the media doesn't know how to take a joke or that the media is to stupid to recognize it as one. Or maybe it's just the media trying to be all sensitive and butthurt over anything and everything. You know, like they do on a daily basis...

It's Harvey's fault for opening his mouth and saying something stupid where the only possible towards the university was not good.

Some don't see it as stupid. Some see it as funny. That's not anymore spin than people vilifying him for it.

Exactly right. The people here "spinning" this into something terrible are people who have an agenda against Perlman to begin with.

The people here aren't "spinning" anything. I've already posted the articles and headlines from the national media making fun of the University.

Regardless of his intent of the joke, the narrative is that Nebraska still can't get over Pelini.

• Fire 1

Bo trashed this place on his way out the door and was a headache for years.

I don't see why Nebraska should maintain a respectful PR front like they're doing with Connie Yori and have largely done with Bo. He was a stain on the school who publicly clashed with his administration, and that aspect of his legacy is better repudiated than glossed over. We can *mostly* agree that "pulling a Bo" is a bad thing, and for me wryly pointing that out is fine.

Don't stoop to his level, and bring him back into the conversation.

Nebraska should be better than that.

I don't agree at all that this was anything close to "stooping to Bo's level."

Nor do I agree that Nebraska has to never mention Bo again. He was a head football coach here for much of the last decade. There's no point in either pretending he didn't exist, or in pretending he never did any the university any embarrassment during his time here. A clear rebuke of some of the things he did every now and then is *not* a big deal. Mostly I think a lot of people find anything HP does unlikable.

This probably isn't the last time Bo's name is ever brought up by someone at NU in an unflattering way, but it hasn't been happening on the regular either -- which will also likely continue. JMO, anyway!

• Fire 1

In some ways, it's worse than what Bo did because Bo's comments were in the heat of passion and to a private group. Also, I feel like if someone were honest and whet back and actually listen to his tape, he's not ranting and raving. He's giving a blunt assessment of what happened and then talking to his players about his personal feelings around the stress (that, in my opinion, was amplified due to his relationship or lack thereof with Perlman and Eich).

Perlman waited 18 months to bring up something that he had to know would draw fire from people (even some who agreed with the decision to fire Bo).

To me, it just demonstrates his overall poor judgment and lack of finesse.

Question: why did Paul Meyers get fired/forced out?

• Fire 2

I don't agree at all that this was anything close to "stooping to Bo's level."

Nor do I agree that Nebraska has to never mention Bo again. He was a head football coach here for much of the last decade. There's no point in either pretending he didn't exist, or in pretending he never did any the university any embarrassment during his time here. A clear rebuke of some of the things he did every now and then is *not* a big deal. Mostly I think a lot of people find anything HP does unlikable.

This probably isn't the last time Bo's name is ever brought up by someone at NU in an unflattering way, but it hasn't been happening on the regular either -- which will also likely continue. JMO, anyway!

I'm sure that's true. But I guarantee that the national media types poking fun of the University are not among that group.

I wouldn't take SB Nation clickbait that seriously.

I'm sure a lot of things can be poked fun at, but I'd disagree with any media type who has made the argument that this is a serious issue that reflects poorly on NU. No, Bo reflected poorly on NU. His issues with HP are well known, and a little funny in the way that petulant coach-administration spats tend to be, but HP's retirement speech is already a footnote in the great annals of last week.

• Fire 2

Like I said...

No big deal.

Pelini proved that, too.

Exactly right. The people here "spinning" this into something terrible are people who have an agenda against Perlman to begin with.

The people here aren't "spinning" anything. I've already posted the articles and headlines from the national media making fun of the University.

Regardless of his intent of the joke, the narrative is that Nebraska still can't get over Pelini.

And yet it is STILL spin regardless of who is doing the spinning. And don't act like people on this board aren't following the medias lead.

And for the record who were the people who said "Harvey, we don't want you around" at the AAU meeting, or is this how urban legends get started?

What do you think this means?

"Over the next day and a half, Mr. Perlman became increasingly isolated..."

I take that as the group had isolated him away and not including him in discussions...etc. But...I guess I could go down to the grocery store and buy some tin foil to make a Perlman hat out of and join in all hatred and conspiracy on how he destroyed the University.
Many people's hate and bias against Perlman is completely irrational.

Or.....is it your love and bias for Perlman thats irrational?

• Fire 1