OWH: Perlman Leaves NU with Complicated Legacy

Just for clarification: everybody here does know/realize that chancellors across the country play significant roles in athletic departments, yes? Most notably, they will hire/fire AD's, and routinely assist the athletic department (and all university departments) in crafting the vision and direction. So, to see people say or think he should never have been involved with football is somewhat misguided. It was part of his job. It's one of the single most important aspects of the university.

I don't mention this to defend him, but to add perspective. I think we can all certainly debate the extent he was involved, as I personally believe he made a lot of mistakes when it came to athletics.

• Fire 1

Enhance,

I think the point some are trying to make is that a chancellor can't on one hand say he wants to be involved and make a lot of granular inputs and then on the other hand have people defend him by saying "he has so much other stuff to worry about."

A perfect example, and an example that j think should have gotten him fired, was his decision to to extend Pederson to an almost unprecedented for an AD 5 years just a few months before firing him. His justification at the time was that he issued a public response survey and no one voiced concerns. in actuality, he was clearly trying to insert a "poison pill" to protect his guys. That move cost the program millions between Pederson and the coaches who were fired.

Pure incompetence, of which he's displayed plenty, is bad but not reprehensible. But his actions around the Pederson/Callahan debacle go well beyond incompetence.

• Fire 2

I think if Perlman thought being in the AAU was THAT important to the academic validity and stability of NU, he would have fought harder.

Maybe someone close to the academic side can answer this for the rest of us: Has not being in the AAU anymore negatively affected any department at NU?

So unimportant that he booked a stay at the 4 seasons and refused to have NU withdraw, which is what Syracuse did.

The black flips people do to defend this guy...

• Fire 2

Like I said...

https://twitter.com/sbnationcfb/status/717383562572337152

Way to make us look stupid Harvey.

If Bo Pelini didn't want to be made fun of maybe he shouldn't have given them the ammunition. I simply don't see this as a huge deal, more like a tiny anthill.

Personally, if I had to work for someone like Perlman or Eichorst, I wouldn't want to be there either.

But perly once again conflates his ego with the university. Just because Bo didn't like working for you Perly didn't mean he didn't want to be at Nebraska.

• Fire 4

Like I said...

If Bo Pelini didn't want to be made fun of maybe he shouldn't have given them the ammunition. I simply don't see this as a huge deal, more like a tiny anthill.

Personally, if I had to work for someone like Perlman or Eichorst, I wouldn't want to be there either.

But perly once again conflates his ego with the university. Just because Bo didn't like working for you Perly didn't mean he didn't want to be at Nebraska.

It's not a secret Bo looked for other jobs several times. I think Perlman has a better idea than you whether Bo wanted to be at NU or not.

I think if Perlman thought being in the AAU was THAT important to the academic validity and stability of NU, he would have fought harder.

Maybe someone close to the academic side can answer this for the rest of us: Has not being in the AAU anymore negatively affected any department at NU?

So unimportant that he booked a stay at the 4 seasons and refused to have NU withdraw, which is what Syracuse did.

You literally just agreed with what i said. He fought to a certain line and then gave it up. He didn't walk away from it like Syracuse did.

It was very clear that early on, Bo was going to look for a better job somewhere else and be gone.

Not convinced at all that he wanted to be here for any other reason that it was a big pay check to coach football.

When he was let go after Solich was fired, there were rumors that Bo's wife didn't like living in Lincoln and that would prevent him from ever coming back. Well.....the big pay check accomplished him coming back but that doesn't mean they liked it here.

Like I said...

It's not a secret Bo looked for other jobs several times. I think Perlman has a better idea than you whether Bo wanted to be at NU or not.

That's called a rumor. Of which they were not substantiated.

Seemed Tom was supportive of Bo and thought he was the right guy (he had opportunity to make a change if he'd wanted to and didn't endorse the actual change when it was made).

Again, not wanting to work under Perlman isn't the same thing as hating being at Nebraska.

• Fire 2

You literally just agreed with what i said. He fought to a certain line and then gave it up. He didn't walk away from it like Syracuse did.

So... He made the effort but a little lobbying among colleagues at the events that were part of his trip in the first place was a bridge too far?

NU was ejected by 2 votes. Sitting at a table for 8 might have swung it if Perlman wasn't so alienating.

• Fire 3

Like I said...

That's called a rumor. Of which they were not substantiated.

Seemed Tom was supportive of Bo and thought he was the right guy (he had opportunity to make a change if he'd wanted to and didn't endorse the actual change when it was made).

Again, not wanting to work under Perlman isn't the same thing as hating being at Nebraska.

he didn't hate just perlman. he also hated the media and he hated the effing fans also....and dont forget the refs...he hated them also. but other than that he loved everyone at Nebraska