OWH: Perlman Leaves NU with Complicated Legacy

two really good football coaches in Solich and Pelini.

Lost credibility right here. Quit reading

Gosh, then I wonder what you think of Mike Riley then, given his performance thus far... :hellloooo

FULL DISCLOSURE: I like Mike Riley, I hope Nebraska does well, but this unpleasantness cuts both ways, and will until Riley's career winning percentage gets above Pelini's and Solich's. Don't claim "better" until we see it on the scoreboard and W-L record, because that is just blowing smoke. Everybody gets painted with the same brush, right??

Perlman isn’t actually leaving UNL; after a yearlong sabbatical, he will return to the law school on faculty. For his departure as chancellor, though, Perlman revived a popular YouTube series and filmed his final “Perls of Knowledge” with a series of one-liners about all corners of the university community.

Ha ha! I hadn't seen these: PERLS OF WISDOM :lol:

Never thought I could hate him more. I watched them all. I have seen everything. Life is over.

Meh....

At this point I don't give two squirts about Perlman and him leaving. I'm just tired of reading about people hating on the guy. I'm just ready for the next guy to get in that they probably will hate too at some point.

Now...as far as his comments. Sure, he could have left it alone...but...again...I really don't care.

What would have been really funny though is if about a week after he was gone, he would have "leaked" a cell phone video of him standing in front of a bunch of stuffed animals at home in an expletive rant about something.

That would have been comical.

I thought what he did was kinda funny, but this would have been hilarious. biggrin1.gif

Couldn’t Perlman have let Osborne help pick his successor? Or at least be part of the process? It seemed a courteous thing to do, for a man who had done so much, including ride in when Perlman needed a save in 2007. Perlman didn’t need Osborne’s approval, but it would have been the right thing to do.

Agree 100%

hmmmm, Osborne had two picks at Head Football coach. The College Football Hall of Fame is not clearing out room for Frank Solich or Pelini. Why would he get to pick his successor? Wasn't Frank Solich enough? As far as coming to the rescue in 2007? Tom was at home probably bored out of his mind. Tom also had just lost the primary for Governor to Dave Heineman.............Dave Heineman. Heineman does the impossible....more of a weasel than Steve Pederson.

Osborne was a great coach.

Osborne also recommended Pedersen for Athletic Director. With three major missteps in the hiring process (Frank, Steve and Bo) there is NFW I want him involved in hiring anyone for the University.

I agree, Osborne was a great coach, HoF coach, he just wasn't great at hiring head coaches.

If there were any splinters of the bridge between Pelini and Nebraska left and Perlman's statement burned those splinters up, then I have zero problems with Harvey's statement.

Perlman is known for trying to make jokes all the time, I suspect that's all this was as well.

Of course to those who dislike Perlman, this molehill will be made into the Rocky Mountains.

• Fire 3

Trump...is that you?

Close enough for dealing with the likes of Perlman.

Maybe Nebraska can leave an empty space in the trophy case in honor of the AAU accreditation that was lost under Harvey's watch.

He can't be blamed for that. The rules for membership were unfairly stacked against NU from the beginning.

Truth. And they still are. It's not that NU doesn't spend enough research money, its how that money is counted by the AAU. Much of what NU spends on research doesn't even count towards the amount the AAU required its members to spend. If everything NU spenDS on research was counted we would never have gotten the boot.

Trump...is that you?

Maybe Nebraska can leave an empty space in the trophy case in honor of the AAU accreditation that was lost under Harvey's watch.

He can't be blamed for that. The rules for membership were unfairly stacked against NU from the beginning.

Truth. And they still are. It's not that NU doesn't spend enough research money, its how that money is counted by the AAU. Much of what NU spends on research doesn't even count towards the amount the AAU required its members to spend. If everything NU spenDS on research was counted we would never have gotten the boot.

It is his job, to see the writing on the wall and avoid ambushes. We got ambushed on his watch.

Not looking to discuss UNMC being in Omaha and most of our food research being at UNK... Writing on the wall, maybe just call them all UN like many other Big Ten Schools do to avoid this issue (oh wait we do, but we have to give them all sister names... because you know that makes sense), but guess he was too busy micromanaging football which he knows nothing about.

I used to live in Ottumwa Iowa, they have an "Iowa State satellite" there that did research on hydraulics. (lots of dams, they dint call it ISU at Ottumwa, they called it ISU.)

Under him because some grads would be angry instead of saying Unv of Nebraska 'satellite' in Omaha or Kearney we kept our out dated system and outdated formal structure of power, I know it is the boards ultimate fault (unv not ours obv) but someone should of been screaming bloody marry and he was not. I know that would be taking power from the 2 other campuses but ult it hurt the university. Consolidate the bureaucracy.

I hope most of you realize Nebraska as recent as the 50s to the 60s was considered the Harvard of the Midwest... We have had a long and deep tradition of being respected at football & academics (recent in times of dynasty and fading, as well as academics...) Out of high school I was a barely legible idiot. Now I am just a dumb legible idiot I thank UN for that. They have my eternal thanks and gratitude and my loyalty, when in high school no one would thought I would have gotten my doctorate. Nebraska has my thanks, they had several 'path ways to success' free unlimited tutoring on any subject with TA and with open door policies on the teachers I used it all... Several teachers at UNK UNO and UNL changed my life UNK I took online some however still as available on phone or internet messaging, great staff losing this rating was a slap in the face to all of them.

F Perlman F Penn State and Northwestern. (they are who petitioned to get us out)

That is all.

• Fire 1

Trump...is that you?

It is his job, to see the writing on the wall and avoid ambushes. We got ambushed on his watch.

No ambush. This threat has been known for years, and UNL has been on borrowed time. The other members finally got tired of making exceptions for us.

HP: "We have known we were at risk of this for ten years, and successfully fought off a similar threat in 2000," Perlman said. "I had hoped our extraordinary accomplishments and steep trajectory would have made us less vulnerable, but the AAU's approach to the review made this result inevitable."

Not looking to discuss UNMC being in Omaha and most of our food research being at UNK... Writing on the wall, maybe just call them all UN like many other Big Ten Schools do to avoid this issue,

I don't see the logic in restructuring our university/tradition just to appease a bunch of uppercrusts that have a biased view of agriculture research and land-grant institutions, and hypocritically value research trajectory but ignore that UNL's research expenses growth as a percentage was the 7th largest among all AAU members. Being an AAU member may look good on a resume, but there are no tangible privileges that come with it.

but guess he was too busy micromanaging football which he knows nothing about.

Truth.

• Fire 2

Trump...is that you?

ahh yes. The classic AAU finger point that has been explained and rehashed 13,000 times on this board. f#*k me.