The Next Husker Controversy

I take your point, but this isn't about an "X should be starting over Y" debate.

Divides like this can fundamentally disrupt the mission of a program. I would guess that if we looked similar examples going back in time, these sorts of divides precipitated disaster more often than prosperity.

In '07, things got so bad that almost everyone (but surprisingly not everyone) understood the need for change and we had a rare figure who could step in and right the ship. I really hope we don't need to get awful again before the base is once again united. Because I don't see someone who will be able to intervene.

Didn't expect to see praise of Harvey Perlman. Huh.

• Fire 1

And now..........

Some people won't know what to do. Ameer = good, Bell = bad.

This is EXACTLY it...it took about 20 posts to rip on Bell...if AA had tweetted first...or Rex...this would have had a different tone.

AA: Good Guy

Rex: Good Guy

Bell: Bad Guy

who the hell is pushing the narrative that everyone thinks bell is a bad guy? Kenny is very well liked around here by most fans. there are maybe 01% of fans at most that don't like him. but since those few fans said something the narrative becomes kenny isn't liked? who is behind that agenda?

Honestly?

I'd say that in the past few months, HuskerBoard and my real-world friends have been more united in their cautious optimism than they have been in years.

Seriously. Only two or three people hellbent on division.

And I don't even know what division was ripped open in 2003. Pretty sure EVERYONE wants Nebraska to do better.

For real?

You do realize that most people actually opposed firing Solich (and I'm pretty sure that was even the case with Pelini).

The administration in both cases acted against the sentiments of the majority of the fan base, and in both cases it hasn't gone well (to date). I get that we may be looking at a top 20 recruiting class (of which we had several under Solich and Pelini, so not sure why that's such a basis for optimism now when it wasn't then), but the on the field results were not promising in 2015 and Riley's history of results are not promising.

But, it's spring and hope is springing, so that's cool. Enjoy it. But there are still a lot of people who think that Nebraska is not on a firm footing or headed in the overall right direction (at least if the goals are championships).

• Fire 1

I take your point, but this isn't about an "X should be starting over Y" debate.

Divides like this can fundamentally disrupt the mission of a program. I would guess that if we looked similar examples going back in time, these sorts of divides precipitated disaster more often than prosperity.

In '07, things got so bad that almost everyone (but surprisingly not everyone) understood the need for change and we had a rare figure who could step in and right the ship. I really hope we don't need to get awful again before the base is once again united. Because I don't see someone who will be able to intervene.

You joke. But it's sad that NU was even in a position where some authorities had to push Osborne into the AD position over the objection (or at least hesitation) of Perlman.

• Fire 1

Honestly?

I'd say that in the past few months, HuskerBoard and my real-world friends have been more united in their cautious optimism than they have been in years.

Seriously. Only two or three people hellbent on division.

And I don't even know what division was ripped open in 2003. Pretty sure EVERYONE wants Nebraska to do better.

For real?

You do realize that most people actually opposed firing Solich (and I'm pretty sure that was even the case with Pelini).

The administration in both cases acted against the sentiments of the majority of the fan base, and in both cases it hasn't gone well (to date). I get that we may be looking at a top 20 recruiting class (of which we had several under Solich and Pelini, so not sure why that's such a basis for optimism now when it wasn't then), but the on the field results were not promising in 2015 and Riley's history of results are not promising.

But, it's spring and hope is springing, so that's cool. Enjoy it. But there are still a lot of people who think that Nebraska is not on a firm footing or headed in the overall right direction (at least if the goals are championships).

keep pushing your divisive agenda.

• Fire 2

To me, this is just really disappointing from kenny bell. it shows that he clearly has no relationship with the current staff, nor does he intend to develop one, even though there's every opportunity for him to connect. Nothing against that, since he's a grown man. but if he wanted to connect and truly be of help, he would reach out to the staff to try to correct the issue first before blasting it out to the world.

putting it on twitter like that is very counterproductive, and is pretty shady considering that you haven't heard much positive news or vibes coming from him regarding Nebraska since he left no matter what is happening in the program.

To me, this is just really disappointing from thatguy. It shows that he clearly doesn't pay attention, like when Kenny was doing workouts with our new/current wide receivers coach, like when Kenny said TODAY that it has nothing to do with the football staff, like when Kenny has consistently heaped praise on the program before and after his coach's departure, etc. Also, making an assumption that he HASN'T reached out to the staff or someone in the AD about the issue seems weird, since we dont' know if that has or has not happened. Nothing against that, since he's a grown man on a messageboard, but if he wanted to actually make good observations, he would do his research and be well informed before spouting off on the internet blasting it to the world.

lol. yea. because the fact that a player trained with a coach means he loves him and will support him and his school 100% with all his actions.

for crying out loud, a tv with records was turned off, with no real indication if all that data was getting expunged. are his tweets actually doing a service or disservice to the perception of the football program among national media, fans and recruits?

no matter what he says about loving the current coaches and players, the ones taking the most hits from his tweets are the current coaches and their coaching and recruiting efforts.

You joke. But it's sad that NU was even in a position where some authorities had to push Osborne into the AD position over the objection (or at least hesitation) of Perlman.

Are these rumors, or facts?

Husker nation is in real trouble based on some of the vitriol I'm seeing in the Twitter universe over this. The divide that was ripped open in 2003 remains today, I don't think we have a person who can come in and fix it. The fan base is seriously fractured.

If Nebraska isn't careful, we will end up like every other football program with a fanbase controversy.

Yeah, but divides like this are only a few hours old, devoid of context and likely to disappear unless they are totally egregious and/or artificially stoked.

Little early for the full Chicken Little. That's all I'm saying.

I'm not talking about the specific controversy.

I'm talking about how the twitter and message board commenters (with both sides devoid of full context) are dividing up based on their traditional lines. That's the indication of the problem, not this particular controversy itself.

• Fire 2

And here's the end of the controversy.

ZV3tbuM.jpg

Translation: What, fans actually cared about this? Good lord, this is annoying. Look, we will put the things back up on the wall and we will make sure that we know which ones are the REAL records and which ones were done using a Smith Machine"

• Fire 4

And now..........

This is EXACTLY it...it took about 20 posts to rip on Bell...if AA had tweetted first...or Rex...this would have had a different tone.

who the hell is pushing the narrative that everyone thinks bell is a bad guy? Kenny is very well liked around here by most fans. there are maybe 01% of fans at most that don't like him. but since those few fans said something the narrative becomes kenny isn't liked? who is behind that agenda?

Shoot...lots of posters hate KB

• Fire 2

TO had to be pushed into the AD position? i thought the narrative was that he was pushed out

And now..........

Shoot...lots of posters hate KB

And Twitter users.

• Fire 2