The Next Husker Controversy

Leaving them in a book is one thing, but the "real" record book is the wall they are up on because that is where everyone sees them. Players in the program see those results and want to be up there also, I can absolutely see why Kenny would have an issue. He gave his all and busted his butt to get on that wall and now he is taken down. We may not appreciate those records as much, but tot the players it symbolizes the sacrifice they put in. Also Boyd's comment didn't simply say that the records were being put back up on the wall, he said they were being "restored," which means to me that his intent was to actually reset the books. How do you think AA feels about that, or any other Husker since 2000 that busted their a$$ for this program?

I think if they're so worried about some weightlifting records that mean nothing in the grand scheme of things, their concerns are misplaced.

Nebraska is supposed to be about conference titles and vying for national championships. This kind of stuff is a step along the path, not the goal.

I agree it isn't the end goal, but it is a significant symbol of their efforts to try and attain their end goals and instigates competition inside of the process, not just for current players but future players as well that see those marks and become motivated to break them and in turn continue the cycle of competition and busting their butt to get better and thus help in the quest for a title. It is one of the more quantifiable parts of the process to winning titles and it means a fair bit to those who earned a spot on the wall and became the mark to chase.
  • Fire 1

Leaving them in a book is one thing, but the "real" record book is the wall they are up on because that is where everyone sees them. Players in the program see those results and want to be up there also, I can absolutely see why Kenny would have an issue. He gave his all and busted his butt to get on that wall and now he is taken down. We may not appreciate those records as much, but tot the players it symbolizes the sacrifice they put in. Also Boyd's comment didn't simply say that the records were being put back up on the wall, he said they were being "restored," which means to me that his intent was to actually reset the books. How do you think AA feels about that, or any other Husker since 2000 that busted their a$$ for this program?

I think if they're so worried about some weightlifting records that mean nothing in the grand scheme of things, their concerns are misplaced.

Nebraska is supposed to be about conference titles and vying for national championships. This kind of stuff is a step along the path, not the goal.

I agree it isn't the end goal, but it is a significant symbol of their efforts to try and attain their end goals and instigates competition inside of the process, not just for current players but future players as well that see those marks and become motivated to break them and in turn continue the cycle of competition and busting their butt to get better and thus help in the quest for a title. It is one of the more quantifiable parts of the process to winning titles and it means a fair bit to those who earned a spot on the wall and became the mark to chase.

Right, but none of that is gone. Those numbers still exist, the Lifter of the Year still has his trophy, nobody is going to say "Between 2006 & 2016 nobody lifted weights here," and when recruits ask "Can I lift more than Suh?" they're not going to tell him, "Sorry Biff McBiffington, we don't have those records anymore." All that data is still there.

I get that they're athletes who want to compete, and this is just another way of competing. But nobody is dissing them, nobody is deleting them from history. When Kenny wants to come back and talk to the WRs about how to knock a Wisconsin DB onto his sorry ass, they're going to let him, and welcome him like the star he is.

This is the offseason run amok. That's really all it is.

Husker nation is in real trouble based on some of the vitriol I'm seeing in the Twitter universe over this. The divide that was ripped open in 2003 remains today, I don't think we have a person who can come in and fix it. The fan base is seriously fractured.

dumb-and-dumber-hot-tub-o.gif

Basing any opinion from the cesspool that is Twitter is the most idiotic thing you can do.

• Fire 2

Come to think of it, I do feel Kenny's pain. I had a couple of sprint records at my old high school. 100 yd and 220 yd dash. Then came the metric system and poof....all the old records came down off the gym walls. (Metric system sucks..only used in track and by gangstas...100 meters and 9mm) So..they took down the old records...and now my old school doesn't even exist any more. Let that be a lesson to the UN-L athletic department. It is all on them if UN-L doesn't exist in 30 years!

• Fire 1
i wonder what the next controversy is on the agenda?

Well, I know from confidential, inside sources that Vedral is still bitter at Erstad because Darin got all the glory for the double extra point while he got destroyed on the play.

I'm still not over it myself. Jeez oh Pete, not even a casual brush block from Erstad for little Jon-Jon!? :steam

• Fire 2

Come to think of it, I do feel Kenny's pain. I had a couple of sprint records at my old high school. 100 yd and 220 yd dash. Then came the metric system and poof....all the old records came down off the gym walls. (Metric system sucks..only used in track and by gangstas...100 meters and 9mm) So..they took down the old records...and now my old school doesn't even exist any more. Let that be a lesson to the UN-L athletic department. It is all on them if UN-L doesn't exist in 30 years!

You forgot to mention that your records were uphill, in the snow, and barefoot because shoes hadn't been invented yet. :P

• Fire 1

You forgot to mention that your records were uphill, in the snow, and barefoot because shoes hadn't been invented yet. :P

Well...it was on a flat cinder track....but I was poor and did have to run barefoot. Heh heh...

(Metric system sucks..only used in track and by gangstas...100 meters and 9mm)

Agreed. What use is a French yardstick that is 3 1/3 inches too long, unless it makes your surrender flag higher? :frenchy

My sister-in-law's father has a record that will never be broken back in Wisconsin: The 660 High Hurdles. The got rid of them due to the amount of injuries for which the event was responsible.

Right, but none of that is gone. Those numbers still exist, the Lifter of the Year still has his trophy, nobody is going to say "Between 2006 & 2016 nobody lifted weights here," and when recruits ask "Can I lift more than Suh?" they're not going to tell him, "Sorry Biff McBiffington, we don't have those records anymore." All that data is still there.

I get that they're athletes who want to compete, and this is just another way of competing. But nobody is dissing them, nobody is deleting them from history. When Kenny wants to come back and talk to the WRs about how to knock a Wisconsin DB onto his sorry ass, they're going to let him, and welcome him like the star he is.

This is the offseason run amok. That's really all it is.

They aren't gone, because Boyd is having them "restored." We know for sure they were taken down from the wall, which is the real record book to the players, but the word "restored" implies to me that Boyd intended to wipe them out entirely. I full heartedly agree on your points as to examples of why these are important, that is my main point. Incoming DTs want to be like Suh, where are his marks to shoot for? What did AA do as a player? Heck since this went back to 2000, what were Crouch's marks for his Heisman winning campaign. Everything is being "restored" so thankfully they live on, point is that they shouldn't have been erased and removed in the first place.