Talkin' 'bout Purdue!

Uhm....just want to point out it was an Admin's idea to spin this off as an original thread.

An editing choice that put my name on top.

FWIW....I would never, ever, ever, ever, ever launch a thread titled "Reliving the Purdue Nightmare."

All things considered, it was better left where it was.

You could change the title.

I am not sure if any single Husker game has been examined as in depth and still has so many different "answers" or "reasons" as to what happened.

In the end the Huskers managed to lose to a team that is considered to be one of the worst in D1 with, I think, 6 wins over the last 3 years.

I think one of the reasons that this game is so examined is that a lot of fans want to know if this is a Riley thing or was it a team thing. In other words, was this game and the Illini game something we will see as a pattern, losing to teams that suck and that the Husker favored against or was this just "growing pains" (Great TV show...name the star?)

I think a lot of fans look at Purdue and Illini as games that were easily winnable which begs the question, why did they lose?

I am not sure if any single Husker game has been examined as in depth and still has so many different "answers" or "reasons" as to what happened.

In the end the Huskers managed to lose to a team that is considered to be one of the worst in D1 with, I think, 6 wins over the last 3 years.

I think one of the reasons that this game is so examined is that a lot of fans want to know if this is a Riley thing or was it a team thing. In other words, was this game and the Illini game something we will see as a pattern, losing to teams that suck and that the Husker favored against or was this just "growing pains" (Great TV show...name the star?)

I think a lot of fans look at Purdue and Illini as games that were easily winnable which begs the question, why did they lose?

why does nebraska ever lose?

in the first quarter Nebraska rushed 13 times for 28 yards and passed 7 times for 6 completions and 64 yards. it seems the game plan was to rush more but it just wasn't working out well. 13 rushes for 28 yards is less than inspiring.

and purdue passed the ball 43 times in that wind compared to our 48. they didn't seem to have any trouble with the wind.

it was just 1 of those days when everything seemed to snowball against the huskers. much like the iowa state game with billions and billions of turnovers. sometimes bad things happen and we need to move on rather than dwell on them.

That rush total includes a 24 yard loss by Fyfe. That is 4.33 yards per attempt if the pass play for a sack and turnover is remover from the rushing stats. IMO, we could have worn out the Purdue D and cruised to an easy victory.

• Fire 2

why does nebraska ever lose?

I did some research on this, went back to the beginning of the Devaney Era and studied everything from temperature, recruiting rankings, run/pass ratios, length of time in the system, injuries, day game/night game, home/away, all-white uniforms... the whole gamut. The overwhelming result, an astounding 100% of the times in games we lost, it turns out the opponent has scored more points than we did.

We fix that, we probably won't ever lose again.

• Fire 1

in the first quarter Nebraska rushed 13 times for 28 yards and passed 7 times for 6 completions and 64 yards. it seems the game plan was to rush more but it just wasn't working out well. 13 rushes for 28 yards is less than inspiring.

and purdue passed the ball 43 times in that wind compared to our 48. they didn't seem to have any trouble with the wind.

it was just 1 of those days when everything seemed to snowball against the huskers. much like the iowa state game with billions and billions of turnovers. sometimes bad things happen and we need to move on rather than dwell on them.

That rush total includes a 24 yard loss by Fyfe. That is 4.33 yards per attempt if the pass play for a sack and turnover is remover from the rushing stats. IMO, we could have worn out the Purdue D and cruised to an easy victory.

Excellent points.

• Fire 2

Snowball?

More like a brain freeze by the coaching staff.

• Fire 2

Snowball?

guess we are fortunate that brain freeze thawed out for the rest of the season.

Snowball?

resized_winter-is-coming-meme-generator-

• Fire 1

Snowball?

resized_winter-is-coming-meme-generator-

weather.gif

Our offense also gave Purdue 5 short fields I believe. Neither side of the ball played well.

I won't disagree with this but the narrative on this board is generally that it is the fault of the offense. No one wants to talk about how the defense gave up 55 points and 450 yards.

To a team that I don't think scored over 30 in any other games...

Right? But all we ever talk about is how bad the offense was. Overall, it was one of the worst games I've ever seen played by Nebraska. On January 1st 1971 I got to stay up late for the first time ever and watched the Huskers beat LSU in the Orange Bowl. In fact, that is the first football game I can remember watching and I've been a fan ever since. In all those years I've never seen the team play as poorly as it did at Purdue this year.

I'm guessing you were smart enough to avoid going to the Tech game in Lubbock were they laid 70 on us. I don't recall many turnovers in that game - we just got steam rolled. The purdue game was more like the ISU game where we had like 9 turnovers. Turnovers can drain a team real quick and some turnovers are just bad breaks. I think the purdue loss falls somewhere in the top 10, however everybody talks about how bad it is because it is the most recent.

Seven turnovers in that game. And Texas Tech was a far better team than Purdue.

Uhm....just want to point out it was an Admin's idea to spin this off as an original thread.

An editing choice that put my name on top.

FWIW....I would never, ever, ever, ever, ever launch a thread titled "Reliving the Purdue Nightmare."

All things considered, it was better left where it was.

You pointed that out just in time. I was about to get you a gift certificate to Helga's House of Pain. I was thinking anyone who would start this thread might enjoy that type of thing.