Talkin' 'bout Purdue!

We hung 40+ points on them after letting them get up a bunch on us. What were we supposed to do? Was Riley supposed to call Tom Osborne and beg for running plays to call in the 2nd half?

I would say what we were supposed to do was realize ahead of time that we had a QB who had barely played going on the road for his first start against an undersized, undermanned team that was terrible at defending the run. So we probably should not have been calling a bunch of pass plays that resulted in three first-half turnovers that Purdue turned into 14 points despite only needing 38 yards of offense to get those points.

Add in the wind, and the game plan was baffling.

We hung 40+ points on them after letting them get up a bunch on us. What were we supposed to do? Was Riley supposed to call Tom Osborne and beg for running plays to call in the 2nd half?

I would say what we were supposed to do was realize ahead of time that we had a QB who had barely played going on the road for his first start against an undersized, undermanned team that was terrible at defending the run. So we probably should not have been calling a bunch of pass plays that resulted in three first-half turnovers that Purdue turned into 14 points despite only needing 38 yards of offense to get those points.

Look, I prefer a run heavy offense too. I think they could and shoulf have ran more earlier and often in that game too.

But at the point of being down more than 2 scores, on the road, with basically a 3rd string QB, in your first year as coach playing against the worst team on the schedule, yeah I kinda see why things got fluffled. Fyfe handing the ball off would have been safer, but to who? Purdue had momentum, and our team was beyond lost. Changing the offense mid game wasn't going to save that turd. The coaches and players can share the blame for it.

Again, we went on to beat MSU after that. So I would say everyone learned from it.

Look, I prefer a run heavy offense too. I think they could and shoulf have ran more earlier and often in that game too.

But at the point of being down more than 2 scores, on the road, with basically a 3rd string QB, in your first year as coach playing against the worst team on the schedule, yeah I kinda see why things got fluffled. Fyfe handing the ball off would have been safer, but to who? Purdue had momentum, and our team was beyond lost. Changing the offense mid game wasn't going to save that turd. The coaches and players can share the blame for it.

Again, we went on to beat MSU after that. So I would say everyone learned from it.

You keep skipping over the part where if we had a different game plan from the outset, it's entirely possible that Purdue would never have gotten that momentum and our players wouldn't have been lost.

As far as who to hand it off to, is that really a question? Take your pick. Hand it off to Harrison Jordon for all I care. Absolutely no reason that we couldn't have run all over them. The only thing that prevented that was our own game plan and play calling.

• Fire 1

in the first quarter Nebraska rushed 13 times for 28 yards and passed 7 times for 6 completions and 64 yards. it seems the game plan was to rush more but it just wasn't working out well. 13 rushes for 28 yards is less than inspiring.

and purdue passed the ball 43 times in that wind compared to our 48. they didn't seem to have any trouble with the wind.

it was just 1 of those days when everything seemed to snowball against the huskers. much like the iowa state game with billions and billions of turnovers. sometimes bad things happen and we need to move on rather than dwell on them.

• Fire 5

You keep skipping over the part where if we had a different game plan from the outset, it's entirely possible that Purdue would never have gotten that momentum and our players wouldn't have been lost.

As far as who to hand it off to, is that really a question? Take your pick. Hand it off to Harrison Jordon for all I care. Absolutely no reason that we couldn't have run all over them. The only thing that prevented that was our own game plan and play calling.

I'm hardly glossing over anything. The offense was what it was, no amount of complaining about it here or anywhere was going to change it.

Yeah, the could have had a light bulb go off the week before and realized "Hey, Purdue sucks at stopping the run, let's run the ball a bunch". But they didn't. The staff made many questionable decisions last year, I complained about many. I personally think that 5 or 6 different decisions directly led to at least 3 losses.

Yet, all we have to do is look at MSU and UCLA to see that the staff is capable of changing when the need calls for it. If we do the same jumbled mess like Purdue against an inferior opponent this year I will be surprised.

• Fire 1

Uhm....just want to point out it was an Admin's idea to spin this off as an original thread.

An editing choice that put my name on top.

FWIW....I would never, ever, ever, ever, ever launch a thread titled "Reliving the Purdue Nightmare."

All things considered, it was better left where it was.

Uhm....just want to point out it was an Admin's idea to spin this off as an original thread.

FWIW....I would never, ever, ever, ever, ever launch a thread titled "Reliving the Purdue Nightmare."

I blame you!

Heh, but really, sorry about that. It was just taking over that other thread, and I found the title amusing & appropriate.

Now you'll always be THAT GUY.

• Fire 1

The biggest thing that happened, IMO is that the players looked each other in the eyes and said "no more." After that game things just felt different. The O-line moved Sterup down to guard and they just seemed to have a little more edge to them. It was not the same team the next week.

I have spoken to quite a few other B1G fans from OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc.

According to them the random and stunning Purdue win is sort of written in prophecy and has been for decades. No one knows why or how but the Gods of Football occasionally insist that Purdue win games they have no business winning. A couple people suggested it was a tried and true method of keeping Purdue just interested enough in football to keep playing. Sort of like putting an apple on a stick in front of a draft animal to keep them moving. All of them suggested we not give it too much thought. Since it has happened to us, we should be in the back of the line again with our next loss to Purdue scheduled sometime in the mid '20's. They are, however, trying to decide who gets the next loss since conference expansion badly disrupted the previously scheduled Purdue upset lottery.

• Fire 2