Listening to Bennings Description of His Interview with Langs

I would like to see a quote of Mike Riley saying that week to week the system will completley change and packages that the team is unfamiliar with will be added.

I think it's obvious who is reading into something too much.

Not week to week. He said they are borrowing things from Kiffen and Turner that they saw this offseason (e.g., installing new packages of screen plays because Alabama used short perimeter passing against MSU). Langs also specifically said that he's putting in different packages for each of the WRs based on what they do well.

It's an extraordinarily "matchup" driven way of calling an offense versus a "system" based version. Two different philosophies. That's all.

There may be a deeper issue, though, and that is what are RIley's "core plays"? What is Lang's and his offensive philosophy?

I challenge anyone to lay out what those are, and an inability to do so is troubling.

giphy.gif

• Fire 2

I don't dislike Riley. I like him. If he achieved the same level of success as Bo and Frank, I'll be happy and won't advocate his dismissal.

I don't think his system puts NU in the best position to win championships. His coaching experience is bereft of American football championships. While he did some good things at OSU, there's not a lot of evidence he can take NU to the level fans demand.

I think in 3 to 5 years we'll be starting over again, and that's a bad thing for nebraska fans.

But, unlike so many of the Bo haters, none of my doubts or criticisms are based on a personal dislike of the man.

You've been fairly reasonable the last few days and it's appreciated.

But you're on record as advocating for Mike Riley's immediate dismissal. And you haven't seemed particularly happy with anything most Husker fans consider good news.

As for your last statement: the main difference between you and the Bo haters might be that Mike Riley is easy to like, and Bo easy hate.

Just a thought.

• Fire 2

I don't dislike Riley. I like him. If he achieved the same level of success as Bo and Frank, I'll be happy and won't advocate his dismissal.

I don't think his system puts NU in the best position to win championships. His coaching experience is bereft of American football championships. While he did some good things at OSU, there's not a lot of evidence he can take NU to the level fans demand.

I think in 3 to 5 years we'll be starting over again, and that's a bad thing for nebraska fans.

But, unlike so many of the Bo haters, none of my doubts or criticisms are based on a personal dislike of the man.

You've been fairly reasonable the last few days and it's appreciated.

But you're on record as advocating for Mike Riley's immediate dismissal. And you haven't seemed particularly happy with anything most Husker fans consider good news.

As for your last statement: the main difference between you and the Bo haters might be that Mike Riley is easy to like, and Bo easy hate.

Just a thought.

I think Mike and Bo are likable for the exact same reason: they have their priorities right when it comes to coaching. There are more similarities in the core values of Mike and Bo than many realize or admit. I never took anything Bo did as personally insulting or embarrassing, which is probably why I don't hate him. Maybe it's some life experiences, but his demeanor never bothered me at all.

Anyway, I've, on rare occasion (maybe once?), mused that we should have fired him and gotten an up and coming coach who was more dynamic offensively. In reality, I don't think NU can or would fire a coach after just a year or two, no matter how bad the results.

The reason I said, pretty much in jest, that we should fire Mike and hire Frost is that I think Frost has the potential, due to his experience, system and knowledge, to be a top 10 type coaching talent. I don't see that potential in Riley at this point.

People will get mad about this because many view NU as a top coaching destination, but I don't think many top 10 coaching talents will be interested in taking jobs in Lincoln. We need to jump on the potential when we have the opportunity.

As it stands, NU will likely miss the window on hiring Frost and even if Coach Riley has solid success, we will be left struggling to find his replacement.

That's how the Ath Dep put us in a major pickle.

p.s., about me being happy about recent news, which I guess refers to recruiting stuff, I'd challenge you to find anywhere ever that I celebrated the verbal commitment of a recruit under any staff. It's not because of some Riley bias that I'm not slobbering over the "verbal commitment" of a 17 yo who's touted as the next Rozier/Rodgers/Frazier/Wistrom/Shields. I see too much of that excitement based on the "see! now we're are going to get some ACTUALLY GOOD players in here nad things will turn around!!"

It's a specious argument and based on nothing more than paper tiger hope. So I avoid partaking. But, I'm certainly not disappointed when ANY kid commits to playing for Nebraska.

• Fire 3

-Bo and Mikes similarities are they care about their players and are both good samaritans. That's about it really. Priority wise Bo needs to reevaluate his quite a bit when it comes to recruiting and handling adversity.

-We all have I suppose.

-Frost may have a lot of experience, but personally his lack of HC experience is what tempered my ambitions towards him.

-Before we become a destination gig we have to bring home some hardware.

-Maybe, maybe not. Absolutely no way to determine that assumption at this point in time.

-Meh, change was needed and we made it like it or not.

PS- You are going out of your way to stir the pot and instill a negative spin on some seriously sound recruiting we haven't had here in a while. Tread lightly, take Thumpers advice if you don't wanna follow recruiting.

-Bo and Mikes similarities are they care about their players and are both good samaritans. That's about it really. Priority wise Bo needs to reevaluate his quite a bit when it comes to recruiting and handling adversity.

-We all have I suppose.

-Frost may have a lot of experience, but personally his lack of HC experience is what tempered my ambitions towards him.

-Maybe, maybe not. Absolutely no way to determine that assumption at this point in time.

PS- You are going out of your way to stir the pot and instill a negative spin on some seriously sound recruiting we haven't had here in a while. Tread lightly, take Thumpers advice if you don't wanna follow recruiting.

Welcome back jmfb!!!

• Fire 1

Objectively speaking, how is this class shaping up better than some other classes, like the '11 class?

I follow recruiting; I just don't follow the hype.

Nobody is asking you to jump on the hype train, but spinning conspiracy theories isn't exactly the expected reaction to good news on the trail.

-We all have I suppose.

Welcome back jmfb!!!

You best take that back right now, I've slapped people for less.

• Fire 1

Objectively speaking, how is this class shaping up better than some other classes, like the '11 class?

I follow recruiting; I just don't follow the hype.

Nobody is asking you to jump on the hype train, but spinning conspiracy theories isn't exactly the expected reaction to good news on the trail.

Because I don't like Clausen's tactics as a public HS coach, I'm spinning conspiracy theories?

Sounds more like you're paranoid.

• Fire 2