BTN: Five Things We Learned from the Husker Spring Game

1. The defensive line is a worry.

2. The offensive line is developing.

3. The passing game left something to be desired.

4. The running game could be a strength.

5. Freshman QB Patrick O’Brien isn’t quite ready for prime time.

Link

how could BTN come up with #5? they didn't cover the 4th quarter to see POB

• Fire 1

1. We knew before the spring game about the Defensive line and its depth concerns as we had lost two undergrads to NFL and had two others with 'ify' prospects so we did not learn this one from the spring game certainly.

2. Agree it seems the O line is developing.

3. Simply saying "the passing game left something to be desired" is vague and almost useless and nondescriptive. The passing game as a general statement was really pretty good overall without the ugly turnovers and wihtout the sacks and holding penalties, etc. Receivers dropped very few and the QBs completed a good percentage of their throws. Probably, I dare say, it was one of the better 'passing game' days in the past 20 years for Nebraska football spring games. What was left to be desired? I suppose one could say, ideally, we'd like to see 400 yards passing and 10 TDs with lots of spectacular plays and runs after catch etc. But then everyone would simply say the pass defense was just so bad. So, really, not sure what one can say we learned from the spring game about our passing game that was lacking.

4. Saying the running game could be a strength is not saying much either. In my view, the running game looked pretty much like it did last year generally, particularly the way it looked at the end of the season. So a continuation from where we left off essentially. That is not really any new thing learned in my view

5. POB showed, as a true freshman after only 14 practices with very few in live contact & pads, that he can quarterback the team comparably with that of a redshirt senior Fyfe who did a pretty workmanlike job himself. I think almost nobody would argue we learned that Tommy Armstrong is a strong runner from the QB position and completes about half his passes. I believe we should be pretty hopeful about the passing game generally and the offense as well.

Frankly, I think 'we learned' from the spring game that many things but, just to list 5, the followiing:

1. Tommy Armstrong, Fyfe, Bush and Obrien all bring some skills to the QB position and each has his limitations but, with careful game planning and application, each can lead the team down the field against a pretty decent defense. I don't think we can see any of our QBs making the Heisman voting list by year end but, if Tommy Armstrong put together about 12 of his best games in a row, he might be mentioned. Any defense will have great trouble stopping our offense IF Tommy runs when the opportunities are there.

2. We are more athletic, as a team, than we have been as we see signs of good speed and agressive tackling abilities in the LB and secondary unit. There is potential for a group of three dynamic DTs (despite losing four who could contribute on most other Big Ten teams). Depth is scrary absent apparently but we don't know what our young guys and position shifters might be able to do.

3. The coaches apparently are serious about running more draw plays with RBs and QBs (great news imo) and IF they can teach the Offensive units to properly execute screen passes (showing drop back, feigning missed blocks, etc.), we have the kinds of screen pass catchers (RBs and HBs and even tight ends and WRs on jail breaks and such) as to be quite lethal. Screens, draws, slants, basic short and intermediate 'outs' and so forth are fundamental football plays. You would think most exceptional High School players would have learned them. Last year we were not able to execute these plays well. In fact, one really goes all the way back to Bill Callahan to find screen pass plays properly run. QB draws are DEFENSE killers and will just devastate a defense both in yards given up and spirit sapped. Nothing more scary for the defensive coaches that to watch as their D line makes a hard push to attack the QB to presssure him into bad throws or get sacks and instead watch as he scrambles up the middle (heart) of the defense for big yardage. Even Fyfe showed the ability split a couple defenders for 10 or so now and then. We need to see the QBs running for around a 100 a game if possible. Those are BIG yards as often keep drives alive instead of punts.

4. We did not show anything in the kicking game but we know both punts and place kicks will be long range guys. Our kickoffs ?????. Coverage and return game MUST improve from last year. We have reason to hope they will. We have lots of slashing, shifty guys who can catch. Put them back and 'let r rip'.