The General Election

A debate would probably end Johnson's campaign. At least comperitively, anyway. He's an absolutely terrible debater. And I agree with Zoogs in that he's got some really disagreeable policy stances in some regards. But as far as his character or that "I'd have a beer with them" factor, he'd win for most people.

I guess my point with the middle is this: big parties tend to (2016 RNC excepting) be pushed to the middle, at least of their constituency.

Break everything up into smaller parties and we throw more extreme voices into the mix.

On the one hand with two big parties, there's frustration that some of our voices get washed away because they don't prevail in the entire coalition. On the other, it's not as if those same voices won't usually get pushed down with many smaller parties, anyway, while the voices that do get elevated often end up being distasteful (see: Austria's latest election, I think?...close call.)

There's a lot of dissatisfaction, but it kind of seems like the only way to really solve it all is to get everyone to agree, somehow. Or, put another way -- to push the body of the people towards different views. That, I think, is a bottom-up endeavor and it's built on advancing causes towards critical mass, not tearing down the status quo and assuming that The Unified Voice of the People will result in only good causes prevailing.

*Not that I'm against a system of many smaller parties building flexible coalitions, I guess. But I don't see it as a clear plus, either. Regarding the system, I'd want to start with the amount of the time politicians spend fundraising, or Citizens United.

• Fire 1

So, it's OK for Trump to insult and belittle people but...by gosh...if one of his minions does it.....he gone.

He's a great leader. We all just don't understand his ways.

Or if that fails he'll just surround himself by the best people. The brightest people. To lead for him.

He sure is broke, for a guy whose self-image is so founded upon his wealth.

But yes, Zoogs, between Sanders and Job, Rubio, et. al., we learned this year that money doesn't buy elections. As with many aspects of Trump's campaign, I don't necessarily buy that this will translate over to the general. This definitely won't help him.

Let me be clear, I do not want to see Trump as President of the United States.

But, am I the only anti-Trump that wants to get a hand on one of those hats when this clusterf*** of an election cycle is over? It would kind of be like getting a salad fork from the Titanic...