The General Election

I'm also skeptical that Trump ever really thought things would go this far. It seemed to be a PR stunt right from the start, sure would help explain why he has no real plans as president. Perhaps he has bought into the campaign after somehow winning a party nomination but the whole thing just reeks of an attention whore.

Writing for the website xojane.com, Stephanie Cegielski said that when she was brought aboard as communications director for the Make America Great Again PAC last summer, the instructions from Trump Tower were to make sure that Trump finished a respectable second in the GOP primary. It was made clear that Trump was running not as a serious contender, but as a “protest” candidate.

Article here

Man... He sure didn't run the primary like he wanted to finish second...

I will say this, Trump has a few key issues in his platform that he's very firm and passionate about, but there are a lot of surrounding issues that he is not extremely knowledgeable at this point in time. I believe he's got the ability and lack of quality competition set out for him to win the general election in a landslide, but he's going to have to really dig in and learn a lot, develop stances and strategies on issues, and not waiver back and forth anymore. I think a lot of the waivering on some of the issues are because he doesn't have a strong opinion on a lot of them and therefore hasn't established his viewpoint yet.

He has a lot of work to do, and a lot of damage control as well with putting his foot in his mouth way too much. We will see what happens.

Good post. I would add that he's not use to running from behind. He was at the top pretty much throughout the entire GOP primary process, expect perhaps the first month or so after he declared. He's not running from a position from strength currently, so the primary playbook may not apply to the general election. We will see how adaptable he is.

At the end of the day, voters will realize that both these candidates are scum, but once they dismiss the scum factor, it will come down to issues they believe in and feel strongly about. Trump already has an advantage when it comes to the economy, and if he can paint the picture how bad the Obama/Hillary policies have been toward fighting terrorism, he will take the lead on that issue too.

Hillary is a terrible candidate and very beatable, but if Trump can't focus and put a filter on any thought that comes to mind, she is going to win easily.

Hillary is a very beatable candidate, and add to that coming off 8 years of a D in the white house, this should be a great opportunity for the Rs to win. But Trump is just too polarizing a figure, and there is no indication that he is going to "pivot" for the general election. He can't change, this is who he is.

Well he gave the best speech I have seen to date a week or so ago when he was using the teleprompter, and was totally on message. Outside of banning Muslims, a lot of his messages will resonate with swing voters. Maybe they need to medicate him a bit so he will be less erratic...lol. I think many in this country are scared and are looking for a figure who will make his primary job keeping them safe, and Trump has that "Papa Bear" persona, but he sometimes acts like "Crazy uncle bear" that has had too much to drink (even though I know he actually never drinks alcohol).

I have no idea if you've criticized Obama in the past for his use of a teleprompter but you have to admit this post is kind of funny. I had extended family members making teleprompter remarks during the most recent State of the Union address. Trump uses a teleprompter and nobody complains.

Hillary is a terrible candidate and very beatable, but if Trump can't focus and put a filter on any thought that comes to mind, she is going to win easily.

Hillary is a very beatable candidate, and add to that coming off 8 years of a D in the white house, this should be a great opportunity for the Rs to win. But Trump is just too polarizing a figure, and there is no indication that he is going to "pivot" for the general election. He can't change, this is who he is.

Well he gave the best speech I have seen to date a week or so ago when he was using the teleprompter, and was totally on message. Outside of banning Muslims, a lot of his messages will resonate with swing voters. Maybe they need to medicate him a bit so he will be less erratic...lol. I think many in this country are scared and are looking for a figure who will make his primary job keeping them safe, and Trump has that "Papa Bear" persona, but he sometimes acts like "Crazy uncle bear" that has had too much to drink (even though I know he actually never drinks alcohol).

I have no idea if you've criticized Obama in the past for his use of a teleprompter but you have to admit this post is kind of funny. I had extended family members making teleprompter remarks during the most recent State of the Union address. Trump uses a teleprompter and nobody complains.

I don't think anyone states that a politician can never use a teleprompter...it's Obama's persistent use of it with his soaring rhetoric that leaves a feeling of being disconnected and insincere. It was to the point that, in press conference Obama stumbled all over himself as he couldn't think on his feet and deliver a coherent answer. I think a blend of scripted and unscripted is ideal personally.

I don't think anyone states that a politician can never use a teleprompter...it's Obama's persistent use of it with his soaring rhetoric that leaves a feeling of being disconnected and insincere. It was to the point that, in press conference Obama stumbled all over himself as he couldn't think on his feet and deliver a coherent answer. I think a blend of scripted and unscripted is ideal personally.
I feel like you've never seen him speak off the cuff or with out a teleprompter. I've watch a couple just this week. He's one of the better speakers to be president in modern times. He just has an unusual delivery where he pauses a lot and lets you think. It's probably a habit from his days as a professor.
  • Fire 2

I can see Trump as a very polarizing figure who people either love or love to hate, but the idea that there are people so uninformed that they'd vote for Hillary is seriously mind-boggling. I don't trust any polls, especially 5 months before the election, but wow...

Bottom line I think is she is the lesser of two evils. Either you get misogynistic, racist, insensitive, moronic Donald Trump...or you get career politician (read: Liar) Clinton. At least she isn't batcrap crazy.

As a hispanic ex-western Nebraskan (relocated to the deep south) who grew up on a farm and was pretty much Republican always...I would not in good conscience vote for him because he is unfit for the job and he never will be.

See I'm leaning the opposite way. I don't like either, but I think Hillary is the lesser of two evils. She's not only a liar and career politician, but she's wages attacks on several women that Bill either raped or took advantage of. And we already know what she is like as a politician, and it's not a good thing. Her approach to foreign policy and terrorism (in conjunction with Obama) has been a train wreck. Additionally, she came out and emphatically supported this Iran deal a few months back, and we are now learning that Obama's own staff admits that they weren't honest about the deal.

And I've seen him on nationally televised town hall meetings with no prompter where he fields pointed questions from voters and has no problems.

People grasp at straws to criticize Obama more than any other president in U.S. history.

• Fire 3

Watching Bill O'Reilly interview The Donald on Fox News. I sincerely believe Bill O'Reilly would make a much, much better president than Trump. That's so crazy there's actually a candidate that would make me think that about Bill O'Reilly.

Good Lord, America. Get your sh#t together.

• Fire 2

I can see Trump as a very polarizing figure who people either love or love to hate, but the idea that there are people so uninformed that they'd vote for Hillary is seriously mind-boggling. I don't trust any polls, especially 5 months before the election, but wow...

Bottom line I think is she is the lesser of two evils. Either you get misogynistic, racist, insensitive, moronic Donald Trump...or you get career politician (read: Liar) Clinton. At least she isn't batcrap crazy.

As a hispanic ex-western Nebraskan (relocated to the deep south) who grew up on a farm and was pretty much Republican always...I would not in good conscience vote for him because he is unfit for the job and he never will be.

Question for you.

Wouldn't it be a slam dunk for Hispanics to favor the Republican Party IF the Republicans weren't so anti-immigration? I'm thinking core values of family values, work ethic, anti-abortion and financial conservatism would be a natural match.

Question for you.

Wouldn't it be a slam dunk for Hispanics to favor the Republican Party IF the Republicans weren't so anti-immigration? I'm thinking core values of family values, work ethic, anti-abortion and financial conservatism would be a natural match.

I live in a very hispanic area of Nebraska. Living around hispanics, I have always thought it was a slam dunk for them to be conservative and basically vote Republican. BUT....here is one of those situations where the Republicans are too stupid to get out of their own way. If they would just promote some type of common sense on the immigration issues they would have the Hispanic vote locked up.

Problem is, way too much of their base is too concerned about building a wall and too busy thinking every hispanic is a threat to their way of life.

• Fire 1