At BYU, if you are raped, you might also get expelled.

You read this woman's story in which she apparently claims she went to this guy's apartment and got high on LSD and was raped ("coerced sex" - sounds like a rape claims to me) and then a month or some length of tiime later, she goes back for a second round of drugs and rape. And for that, you think somehow BYU is unjustly punishing her for admitting repeated violations of several important provisions of the Honor Code? Hm? I am not seeing what you are complaining about. Any woman who voluntarily submits to getting stoned on illegal drugs and being 'raped' now complains she is being wrongly suspended from a religious based private school? What is the issue?

You read this woman's story in which she apparently claims she went to this guy's apartment and got high on LSD and was raped ("coerced sex" - sounds like a rape claims to me) and then a month or some length of tiime later, she goes back for a second round of drugs and rape. And for that, you think somehow BYU is unjustly punishing her for admitting repeated violations of several important provisions of the Honor Code? Hm? I am not seeing what you are complaining about. Any woman who voluntarily submits to getting stoned on illegal drugs and being 'raped' now complains she is being wrongly suspended from a religious based private school? What is the issue?

Sweet lord or everything holy. There are no words for you. So if a girl wears too tight of clothing she can't possibly be "raped" did she ask for it? Are you upset that she somehow found her way out of the kitchen and birthing babies?

This is inviting all rapists and potential rapists to assault any man or woman who has had any alcohol or drugs. What a great idea.

There was also a story this week about a girl (I think in Oklahoma) who was orally raped while passed out after drinking. The court decided it's not rape if it's oral and you are super drunk.

But HuskerLaw says we should blame the people who were raped. So let's do that.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/29/health/brigham-young-university-rape/

The first time, wrong. The second time, wrong, but have to wonder how smart or mentally with it she is. Nobody deserves to be raped ever, even if they arent smart or a drug addict. Now, how believable is she? That could be debated. I have a feeling that there is more to the story. Btw, im about as far from a Mormon defender as one can get, but this story smells of sh#t. Either its on BYU or the girl. But if she was raped, just mark it up to another BYU evil.

Punishing individuals for reporting rape is appalling. It is already difficult enough for them to come forward and adding ridiculous honor code violations only further deters them.

Punishing individuals for reporting rape is appalling. It is already difficult enough for them to come forward and adding ridiculous honor code violations only further deters them.

This.

I see 2 issues in this case. Unfortunately, it is difficult to satisfactorily reconcile the issues with one another.

Issue number 1 and the one of primary importance, a girl was raped. There should not be any policies that discourage her reporting the rape and there should be no retribution for her being open and honest about how it occurred. BYU's system is messed up if they then turn around and punish her for things learned in the rape discovery process.

Issue number 2, can or should a religious institution like BYU have a moral code of conduct that actually gets enforced? She freely signed that code and agreed to abide by it. If she didn't want to, she didn't have to go to BYU. I believe it is BYU's right to have that code and expect it to be followed with punishment for those who don't. But, with the needed exception of cases like this.

The easy solution is to have an amnesty clause that ignores the moral code of conduct violations when something of this magnitude happens. Maybe not ideal if anyone really believes in a moral conduct code but necessary for the greater good. Ironically, if she had followed the code of conduct she had agreed to and signed, she likely would not have been raped in this situation. I won't even go into her going back a 2nd time after she had apparently already been assaulted a 1st time. I think we can rightly question her contribution to the 2nd rape in this situation without being accused of coldly blaming her for the rape. It is still the rapist's fault even if she did something extremely stupid and against all logic. It's just a tragic and unfortunate situation all the way around and one that BYU needs to adjust to deal with much better than they did.

Does it not bother any of you that she went back for more freely and volunarilyt after a month or something? I find it utterly incredible to believe she was in fact raped the second time certainly. Why on Earth would see go back for more of the same?

Nowhere in my comment did I say anything suggesting I don't have a problem with rape nor did i say drugs (alcohol never mentioned at all) were any excuse. Where do you people get your crazy notions?

I said and nobody seems to want to respond to my basic point: she went back for more freely and voluntarily. I find it hard to believe she is so mentally disabled as to not know what she is doing or is incapable of knowing right from wrong or rape from consensual sex?

Does it not bother any of you that she went back for more freely and volunarilyt after a month or something? I find it utterly incredible to believe she was in fact raped the second time certainly. Why on Earth would see go back for more of the same?

Nowhere in my comment did I say anything suggesting I don't have a problem with rape nor did i say drugs (alcohol never mentioned at all) were any excuse. Where do you people get your crazy notions?

I said and nobody seems to want to respond to my basic point: she went back for more freely and voluntarily. I find it hard to believe she is so mentally disabled as to not know what she is doing or is incapable of knowing right from wrong or rape from consensual sex?

There does seem to be some info missing. The first "coerced sex" encounter doesn't seem to mention any drugs, nor does it mention anyone else. That may or may not have been a rape. The second encounter is more disturbing though. Yes, her judgement could be questioned if she felt then the first encounter truly was a rape, but perhaps she felt safe since there would be other people there, probably other girls. It is not clear if she knew there would drugs there beforehand. Regardless, it seems like a definite rape occurred the 2nd time. It seems like he/they intended to "roofie" her. What did or did not happen the first time has no bearing.

Go watch some Law & Order: SVU because you have a severe lack of understanding towards how complex, difficult, nuanced and harmful the mental state of abuse victims can be.