Direction of the Program

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd say that Snyder was also competing directly with NU, considering the distance between Lincoln and Manhattan is only 136 miles. Missouri is 250 miles away and OU is 300 miles away. By comparison, Corvallis only has one other DIA school within 500 miles of it (UW at 250 miles).

That "nice 7-8 year run" actually included an 11-year stretch where KSU finished ranked in the top 20 10 time and in the top 10 six times. KSU had never finished a season ranked before Snyder, let alone ranked in the top 10.

Nothing on Riley's record at OSU is comparable to that (he didn't even post the highest ranked football team during the 18 seasons from his first to his last at OSU. Erickson did that with a #4 ranking in 2000.

Okay, Snyder at KSU has been a few seasons and a couple titles better than Riley was at OSU.

The comparison was both men took a perrenial bottom feeder and turned them into a respectable team capable of pulling upsets and winning seasons.

Fair enough?

Yes, I agree with the bolded statement. But that's not what was originally stated. And the space between "respectable team capable of..." doesn't really capture the difference between Snyder and Riley. And that's ok. Snyder is arguably the greatest coach in the history of CFB not to win a national championship. I don't expect Riley to be as good as Snyder, just like I don't expect him to be as good as TO.

• Fire 1

I'd say that Snyder was also competing directly with NU, considering the distance between Lincoln and Manhattan is only 136 miles. Missouri is 250 miles away and OU is 300 miles away. By comparison, Corvallis only has one other DIA school within 500 miles of it (UW at 250 miles).

That "nice 7-8 year run" actually included an 11-year stretch where KSU finished ranked in the top 20 10 time and in the top 10 six times. KSU had never finished a season ranked before Snyder, let alone ranked in the top 10.

Nothing on Riley's record at OSU is comparable to that (he didn't even post the highest ranked football team during the 18 seasons from his first to his last at OSU. Erickson did that with a #4 ranking in 2000.

You really mean that? Covallis is about 50 miles from Eugene, Or. With BSU, WSU, WA, Nevada and Idaho all within 500 miles. Cal and Stanford are only 600 to Corvallis.

When I said nice 7-8 year run I ment with good records he dipped to around .500 for a couple years. No one is trying to say that Bill Snyders transformation of KSU wasn't remarkable and worthy of HOF status. What more are saying is that MR did something somewhat similar at OSU. Yes, I know you will point at Dennis Erickson doing some great things, but you have to realize he did most of that with the guys MR recruited.

Ok, good point on non-P5 Nevada and Idaho both being at 450 miles or so. I guess I should have drawn the circle at 400 miles. I think the central point remains. KSU was not a better situation for a coach than OSU.

Anyway, fwiw, Riley only recruited one full class to OSU ('98) - he was hired in early '97 and left in January of '99. Difficult to say how many of that '98 class comprised the '00 team that went 11-1.

• Fire 1

Okay, Snyder at KSU has been a few seasons and a couple titles better than Riley was at OSU.

The comparison was both men took a perrenial bottom feeder and turned them into a respectable team capable of pulling upsets and winning seasons.

Fair enough?

Bill Snyder has a better winning percentage and 2 conference championships. Mike Riley has never played in a conference championship game.

So yeah, they are similar.......

Snyder is an absolute "god" in the coaching ranks. That guy has done more with 2* recruits then darn near any coach. Most coaches that do well with 2-3* players go somewhere off that initial success and use it as a springboard. Not true with Snyder. The guy reloads with 2-3* athletes and continues to build winners on and off the field.

I won't touch the debate as it relates to MR. All I know is Snyder is my guy regardless of who surrounds you.

• Fire 1

What's going to happen to recruiting after this yr. when the "I know a guy with a kid and he has 4-5 star friends" deal is over? Is Mike going to be able to crack the top 20 in recruiting , I dare think not!

lol wut?

try to keep up will ya. The question is "" are we headed in the right direction "

Snyder at KSU has been a few seasons and a couple titles better than Riley was at OSU.

Bill Snyder has a better winning percentage and 2 conference championships. Mike Riley has never played in a conference championship game.

So yeah, they are similar.......

Reading is hard...

Does everyone know that similar doesn't mean exactly the same?

Good point. On that note, TO, Frank and Bo all had similar success during the first 7 years of the head coaching career. Probably even more similar than Snyder and Riley have been.

Agreed that the Snyder/Riley comparisons aren't very good or even really that similar. In fact, the only way they're similar is that they both overachieved at two separate universities; however, their accomplishments were a lot different at those two places.

Similarly, the Frank/Bo/TO comparison you just made isn't very good. In 7 years, TO won two conference titles and had six top 10 finishes, Solich one won conference title and went to a natl. title, whereas Bo's best accomplishments were winning 9 games and a few division titles.

What's going to happen to recruiting after this yr. when the "I know a guy with a kid and he has 4-5 star friends" deal is over? Is Mike going to be able to crack the top 20 in recruiting , I dare think not!

How would failing to crack the top 20 be substantially different, in any way, to the recruiting around here during the last 7-8 years?