Big XII expansion/network?

Joel Klatt had a great take on this stuff on the Herd today. I'm pulling this quote straight from the show Wednesday morning.

Cowherd: "We don't have much time, I should have led with this. Big12 Expansion, what do you make of it?"

Klatt: "I think its all about economics, and I think the Big12 should be very very careful. About going to the well too many times, and the well, economically, in our sport are networks. It's us. It's ESPN. It's NBC. It's CBS. That's the well. It's the wellspring of life.

Cowherd: "So as they add teams they get more money from us."

Klatt: "That's right, and their trying to claim, Bob Bowlsby yesterday at the Teleconference Bowlsby is trying to claim "well this is just already pre-built into our deals where we get X dollars more by adding teams" and it's like well our landscape from the television side is changing. You better respect that, or else you're gunna go to the well too many times and then when an actual deal comes up where we can re-negotiate, we're gunna hammer you. Um, so, you better bring in, if you are going to expand, you better bring in brands, locations that are gunna increase the value of your conference by more than 30 million dollars per. Does that make sense?

Cowherd: "Sure."

Klatt: "Each school better be worth more than 30 million dollars a year, for us the television, and I don't see those brands out there. You bring in Cincinnati, or UConn, or BYU.....shhheeeeee ugh!"

Cowherd: "BYU is...The last brand in football, and I think it's a marginal brand. That's BYU."

Klatt: "Yea, and I don't think it's worth 30 million. I got people in Colorado that always ask me "Is Colorado State going to the Big12?" I'm like "NO!" (snarky) You're worth like 8 million dollars MAX! Why would the big12 bring you in? Uh, because the television partners aren't going to like it." Now they've gone to the well already for the championship they've added it automatically and said "hey we're gunna increase by 30 million dollars". Just cuz it's a provision in their contract. I think they should be leary about going to that well too many times."

-----

I really like Joel Klatt I think he's a down to earth guy that understand the game and loves it for what it is. Calls it the way it is, and I respect Fox Sports for standing up to ESPN. Fox is ridiculously better.

Huh...I had a post in another thread that has since disappeared...but someone posted a tweet from Adam Rittenberg of ESPN that brought up what is the most important point of any of this Big XII Expansion discussion:

Frankly, if the Big XII doesn't extend the GOR, then expansion talk (or action, for that matter) is meaningless, because it means you have at least one (most likely two or three) schools of significant clout that have one foot out the door. This means no new upgrades to TV deals, and no stable future (at best). It doesn't matter who the Big XII grabs now if you lose your remaining heavyweight schools (namely Texass, Oklahoma, and/or Kansas--for basketball, of course).

Duplicate post.

What is up with all the double posts lately?

Is Huskerboard housed on Southwest Airline computer servers?

Nah, this one was solely on me not paying attention. But I could have sworn I posted yesterday in this thread and couldn't find said post...

I vote to kidnap KU and OU.

Then the POS12(10 now 8) can add all the Houston, Cincy, BYU, UCF it wants before dying by 2020.

2022. And it doesn't matter if we kidnap KU or OU--anything that's televised about those schools until 2022 would have to go through the Big XII network deal because of the GOR. But yeah, the plan is for KU and OU to the B1G most likely...though I don't know if you can really kidnap the willing? :dunno

But yeah, it wouldn't matter at this point if they successfully lobbied Notre Dame and Alabama to join the Big XII--if there's no GOR extension, the conference will lose key pieces in a few years to the Pac-12 and/or B1G.

Honestly, though, the Big XII would be a good home for the mid-majors that tend to jump up to national relevance on a regular basis. Your Boise State, BYU, Houston, and the like all in one conference would a) give folks a great place to schedule non-conference games and still claim a quality win, and b) provide a seat at the table for schools that have had a chance, but may have had the deck stacked against them because of the old way of doing things.

And frankly...watching the mid-majors *would* be more entertaining than an Illinois vs. Indiana football tilt, or a Mississippi State vs. Vandy tussle.

For me the easy answer is BYU and Colorado State. Memphis, Houston, UConn, USF, UCF all fall short in my opinion. CSU and BYU give major TV markets and some decent success over the past decade.

CSU plays second fiddle to CU in Colorado and the Denver market. Plus, so many people living in Denver and Colorado are transplants that have their alma mater from another school (me with Nebraska for example).

CSU is one I'd never really thought of but kind of makes sense. Closer geographically and Denver is the #18 market in the US.

Memphis is the #48 market. Salt Lake City is #33. Cincinnati is #34. Orlando is #18.

Markets are good and all, but what is the actual following of these schools. In most cases these teams are dwarfed by much bigger and prominent state schools. It just doesn't seem any of them add much to the table.

CSU is one I'd never really thought of but kind of makes sense. Closer geographically and Denver is the #18 market in the US.

Memphis is the #48 market. Salt Lake City is #33. Cincinnati is #34. Orlando is #18.

Markets are good and all, but what is the actual following of these schools. In most cases these teams are dwarfed by much bigger and prominent state schools. It just doesn't seem any of them add much to the table.

I just posted a very similar thought. I would think that Nebraska games get a bigger local share in the Denver market than Colorado State games.

I don't think following has a lot to do with it. Rutgers and Maryland don't have any particular big following that I'm aware of but adding the Baltimore and New York markets made a difference.

I don't think following has a lot to do with it. Rutgers and Maryland don't have any particular big following that I'm aware of but adding the Baltimore and New York markets made a difference.

Yes those two made a difference. However unlike those you listed they are both the top universities in their states and actually matter when it comes to cable subs having a much bigger following and prestige. So while B1G made an impact on that area expending it's footprint, Big12's new footprint will be under the Giant footprints of other conferences, hence it wont help them one bit.

Seriously, they are heading towards disintegration unless they do something so clever none of us sees it coming, or set up a GOR through 2035.

Vultures are circling the Big12 and I do really hope one of them is named Jim.