Big XII expansion/network?

Texas President:

All the previous rumors about expansion were that the Texas schools wouldn't want Houston because they didn't want another Texas school in the conference. Well, it seems like the Texas schools are in favor of Houston, while the non-Texas schools aren't as enthusiastic with Houston, and want to expand the conference into another geographic footprint.

“Big 12 expansion is a non-starter unless it includes University of Houston,” Texas Gov. Greg Abbott tweeted.

Then, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick followed with his own support via Twitter, saying “any BIG 12 expansion must include @UHouston or NO DEAL.”

University of Texas President Gregory L. Fenves also tweeted his support for Houston. “As we look at opportunities for Big 12 expansion, I support considering @UHouston for the conference. UH is a huge asset for Texas,” Fenves said.

The show of political collaboration comes at a delicate time in the academic relationship between Texas and Houston. UT System Chancellor Bill McRaven angered University of Houston officials with a surprising purchase of 332 acres south of the Texas Medical Center in Houston last year. So far, UT has yet to outline its long-term plans.

An official close to the deliberations told the American-Statesman that Houston officials have signaled they would drop opposition to the construction of a UT satellite campus on that land in exchange for help in getting into the Big 12.

Link

For me the easy answer is BYU and Colorado State. Memphis, Houston, UConn, USF, UCF all fall short in my opinion. CSU and BYU give major TV markets and some decent success over the past decade.

CSU plays second fiddle to CU in Colorado and the Denver market. Plus, so many people living in Denver and Colorado are transplants that have their alma mater from another school (me with Nebraska for example).

Do you think that's because CSU has been a mid major? Could that flip flop if CSU were to join the Big12? (Even though I don't see them getting an invited anyway, though, kinda wish they would)

If Houston joins B12 their days of going 10-2 are over. Not a fan of theirs really, to often over rated and considering they add virtually nothing to the Big12 conference, it's a win win if they join.

I disagree. Maybe initially, but look at Utah and TCU. They struggled early but the trend is for mid majors that move up tend to get pretty tough and competitive. They also have an elite coach who just signed a large contract extension. I wonder if Tom Herman knows that Houston could be headed to the Big12? Also, the worst thing possible for UT is to have ANOTHER university in Texas that is intriguing to athletes.

With Tom Herman, Houston is dangerous. Without Tom Herman, thennnnnnn, you are probably right.

For me the easy answer is BYU and Colorado State. Memphis, Houston, UConn, USF, UCF all fall short in my opinion. CSU and BYU give major TV markets and some decent success over the past decade.

CSU plays second fiddle to CU in Colorado and the Denver market. Plus, so many people living in Denver and Colorado are transplants that have their alma mater from another school (me with Nebraska for example).

Do you think that's because CSU has been a mid major? Could that flip flop if CSU were to join the Big12? (Even though I don't see them getting an invited anyway, though, kinda wish they would)

If Houston joins B12 their days of going 10-2 are over. Not a fan of theirs really, to often over rated and considering they add virtually nothing to the Big12 conference, it's a win win if they join.

I disagree. Maybe initially, but look at Utah and TCU. They struggled early but the trend is for mid majors that move up tend to get pretty tough and competitive. They also have an elite coach who just signed a large contract extension. I wonder if Tom Herman knows that Houston could be headed to the Big12? Also, the worst thing possible for UT is to have ANOTHER university in Texas that is intriguing to athletes.

With Tom Herman, Houston is dangerous. Without Tom Herman, thennnnnnn, you are probably right.

They have been fortunate I think. Texas has been outright bad and all they had was Oklahoma and Baylor, maybe Oki Jr in the Big12 quality department. Right now as Baylor is falling apart they could continue to do well for a time. So yea, you may be right and there maybe room for Houston to do a 9-3. Utah on the other hand a good season last year, but it has not lit the league on fire before, and this is also likely due to Pac12 being down last year, Except for Iowa B1G teams took out their top teams. USC, UCLA, Stanford and Oregon, so if they continue to slump Utah might look better then they are. Otherwise those are 3-4 games they should not be winning. In the end. I think more people should be talking BYU however as thats the most likely team to get an invite.

They have been fortunate I think. Texas has been outright bad and all they had was Oklahoma and Baylor, maybe Oki Jr in the Big12 quality department. Right now as Baylor is falling apart they could continue to do well for a time. So yea, you may be right and there maybe room for Houston to do a 9-3. Utah on the other hand a good season last year, but it has not lit the league on fire before, and this is also likely due to Pac12 being down last year, Except for Iowa B1G teams took out their top teams. USC, UCLA, Stanford and Oregon, so if they continue to slump Utah might look better then they are. Otherwise those are 3-4 games they should not be winning. In the end. I think more people should be talking BYU however as thats the most likely team to get an invite.

Well Utah isn't lighting it up, no. But they put a competitive squad out there. I see them always being a tough out. I guess what I'm trying to say that Houston wouldn't be elite but they would be a tough out.