The Most Absurd Play (or Game) in Husker Football History

The most absurd play I can remember is watching Niles Paul run down the sidelines, after catching a perfect pass, towards and apparent TD and them fumbling the ball on about the 5 yard line for no apparent reason and an ISU guy recovering it.

Man, it's amazing how many of those were when NU was about to score. I counted 4 or 5 turnovers where they were in easy FG range, especially for Henery. What an ugly day.

You know it's never a good day when you have more turnovers than points. And to think that team was a few seconds and 30 yards away from a Big XII championship.

• Fire 1

The most absurd play I can remember is watching Niles Paul run down the sidelines, after catching a perfect pass, towards and apparent TD and them fumbling the ball on about the 5 yard line for no apparent reason and an ISU guy recovering it.

Man, it's amazing how many of those were when NU was about to score. I counted 4 or 5 turnovers where they were in easy FG range, especially for Henery. What an ugly day.

It was, I was at the game, it was a surreal nightmare. ISU had like 125 yards of total offense in the game.

At the 26-second mark the lineman goes down while trying to catch that lateral. The Huskers let up at that point thinking it was an incomplete pass or something. I was screaming "THAT'S A LIVE BALL!" and about panicked when he got down to the 30 yard line or so. At least the safety guy on that play never let up, despite everyone running on the field.

At the 26-second mark the lineman goes down while trying to catch that lateral. The Huskers let up at that point thinking it was an incomplete pass or something. I was screaming "THAT'S A LIVE BALL!" and about panicked when he got down to the 30 yard line or so. At least the safety guy on that play never let up, despite everyone running on the field.

F**k Mike Tirico: "There should be a flag on the field for Nebraska players, etc etc"

Did he not see the Michigan coaches and players right in the middle of the freakin' play?!

• Fire 5

I remember being in the car, racing to get home to watch on TV. 1st play Helu gives them the ball with an ugly fumble. I remember thinking how awful this game was going to be. Never imagined there would be another 5 fumbles and 2 back to back interceptions.

F**k Mike Tirico: "There should be a flag on the field for Nebraska players, etc etc"

Did he not see the Michigan coaches and players right in the middle of the freakin' play?!

There was SO MUCH bitching about Nebraska being on the field, not just from Tirico but on ESPN, on message boards, etc. I took a screen shot of the video and counted all the Michigan players & coaches on the field at one point to shut some guy up about it. I couldn't understand why it was NEBRASKA on the field that everyone was jawing about. Both teams were on the field.

2010 game against Texas was pretty absurd. Watching Garrett Gilbert Grape run up and down the defense was painful.

2009 Niles Paul vs ISU literally strolling in to the endzone and just drops the ball.

Paul wasn't "strolling into the end zone", he was running down the sideline, got his foot hit by a diving defender, and it caused him to lose his balance. After Paul lost his balance, he fumbled, around the 5 yard line.

If you want to bring up a player who just dropped the ball heading into the end zone, let's talk about the Colorado fullback who was running in the open field against Nebraska in 1988. He broke open and was headed for a sure touchdown and he just dropped the ball. CU didn't score that play or that drive, and NU won 7-0.

2010 game against Texas was pretty absurd. Watching Garrett Gilbert Grape run up and down the defense was painful.

2009 Niles Paul vs ISU literally strolling in to the endzone and just drops the ball.

Paul wasn't "strolling into the end zone", he was running down the sideline, got his foot hit by a diving defender, and it caused him to lose his balance. After Paul lost his balance, he fumbled, around the 5 yard line.

Niles Paul had no reason whatsoever to fumble that ball. He kinda became the focal point of that loss, unfairly since everyone stunk that day, but losing his balance doesn't explain why that ball came out.

Maybe there was some voodoo curse on Nebraska that day. That would be a more likely explanation for that game.

Niles Paul had no reason whatsoever to fumble that ball. He kinda became the focal point of that loss, unfairly since everyone stunk that day, but losing his balance doesn't explain why that ball came out.

Maybe there was some voodoo curse on Nebraska that day. That would be a more likely explanation for that game.

Yes, it was a fluky fumble and it shouldn't have happened, but lets not act like he was running down the field with nobody within 10 yards of him and he dropped the ball.

2010 game against Texas was pretty absurd. Watching Garrett Gilbert Grape run up and down the defense was painful.2009 Niles Paul vs ISU literally strolling in to the endzone and just drops the ball.

If you want to bring up a player who just dropped the ball heading into the end zone, let's talk about the Colorado fullback who was running in the open field against Nebraska in 1988. He broke open and was headed for a sure touchdown and he just dropped the ball. CU didn't score that play or that drive, and NU won 7-0.

Even if the minimal contact the defender made with NP was enough to trip him, which it must have been, the inexplicable fumble is damning because he loses it while falling and trying to reach the ball across the endzone still 2-3 yards short from the looks of it.

Yes, it was a fluky fumble and it shouldn't have happened, but lets not act like he was running down the field with nobody within 10 yards of him and he dropped the ball.

It was a drop, entirely on Niles. I'm not trying to pile on him, but there's no excuse for that fumble. He was carrying it away from his body.

He's guilty of trying to score, and some bad ball security. That's really all.