The Most Absurd Play (or Game) in Husker Football History

2010 game against Texas was pretty absurd. Watching Garrett Gilbert Grape run up and down the defense was painful.

2009 Niles Paul vs ISU literally strolling in to the endzone and just drops the ball.

Paul wasn't "strolling into the end zone", he was running down the sideline, got his foot hit by a diving defender, and it caused him to lose his balance. After Paul lost his balance, he fumbled, around the 5 yard line.

Niles Paul had no reason whatsoever to fumble that ball. He kinda became the focal point of that loss, unfairly since everyone stunk that day, but losing his balance doesn't explain why that ball came out.

Maybe there was some voodoo curse on Nebraska that day. That would be a more likely explanation for that game.

I've posted this before but because this game gets brought up so much I'll post it again. I was a student at the university at the time and went to the game the next day but a large portion of the starters were downtown partying the night before. The only curse on Nebraska that day was the player's stupidity.

• Fire 1

2010 game against Texas was pretty absurd. Watching Garrett Gilbert Grape run up and down the defense was painful.

2009 Niles Paul vs ISU literally strolling in to the endzone and just drops the ball.

Paul wasn't "strolling into the end zone", he was running down the sideline, got his foot hit by a diving defender, and it caused him to lose his balance. After Paul lost his balance, he fumbled, around the 5 yard line.

Niles Paul had no reason whatsoever to fumble that ball. He kinda became the focal point of that loss, unfairly since everyone stunk that day, but losing his balance doesn't explain why that ball came out.

Maybe there was some voodoo curse on Nebraska that day. That would be a more likely explanation for that game.

Yes, it was a fluky fumble and it shouldn't have happened, but lets not act like he was running down the field with nobody within 10 yards of him and he dropped the ball.

It was a bad fumble, it should not have happened.

What was odd or absurd about his reaction? I think he was a bit shocked and also not sure they would uphold it on review.

His post game comments and press conference are good examples of why I like Bo. He "gets" what competition, especially college football, is all about.

• Fire 1

The most absurd play I can remember is watching Niles Paul run down the sidelines, after catching a perfect pass, towards and apparent TD and them fumbling the ball on about the 5 yard line for no apparent reason and an ISU guy recovering it.

This entire game is the winner for me, and it isn't even close.

There was a point in the game where Nebraska had driven to the 10 yard line, and I vehemently campaigned that they kick a field goal on first down just to get the lead. Of course, that's an absolutely batsh*t stupid thing to ever do, but a couple plays later when we fumbled it on the goal line for the umpteenth time in the game, it kinda looked like a genius move in hindsight.

ISU posting locker room celebrations and stuff later made it all the more bizarre, as they had pretty much accomplished the football equivalent of the gold-medal winning Australian speed skater.

• Fire 1

Westerkamp's catch or the 'Westercatch' was straight crazy/absurd but what was even more absurd was Pelini's reaction ( :dunno) to it.

Bo was no the hot seat already, and it was going to get WAY hotter with a loss to Northwestern. He'd also lived through the Texas :01 debacle, and umpteen-dozen stoopid games where the refs threw odd flags on his teams. He was already gearing up for a contentious post-game presser, explaining another BS loss, and then this miracle happens. He was a bit overwhelmed, and wasn't sure how to react. Part of him thought it'd get overturned, and I believe he mentioned that he was looking for some flag or something.

His reaction was that of an emotionally drained man. I don't blame him.

• Fire 1

Westerkamp's catch or the 'Westercatch' was straight crazy/absurd but what was even more absurd was Pelini's reaction ( :dunno) to it.

Bo was no the hot seat already, and it was going to get WAY hotter with a loss to Northwestern. He'd also lived through the Texas :01 debacle, and umpteen-dozen stoopid games where the refs threw odd flags on his teams. He was already gearing up for a contentious post-game presser, explaining another BS loss, and then this miracle happens. He was a bit overwhelmed, and wasn't sure how to react. Part of him thought it'd get overturned, and I believe he mentioned that he was looking for some flag or something.

Oh yeah. I agree with all of this. His reaction basically speaks of someone who was under some pressure for sure. I still wish we had Bo in a defensive capacity.

Oh yeah. I agree with all of this. His reaction basically speaks of someone who was under some pressure for sure. I still wish we had Bo in a defensive capacity.

so does Wisconsin .

• Fire 2

This might not be the most memorable play but the way Dan Alexander who was basically a FB playing RB tore off that 80 yd run against Colorado I always thought was pretty absurd. He left their defensive backs in the dust.

this play always sticks out for me too, I think I've referenced it a couple times on here. The last guy giving chase was one of CUs top 100meter sprinters too
  • Fire 1

Here are a few that I thought were absurd. I could not find Joe Daily running out of bounds with no time left against Southern Miss. This would have been the winner for me. Others I remember and would rather forget.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yTVtSoeVZA The A&M dirtball going after Cotton's nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jboOs9HVBDA Darian Hagan with an insane (forward/illegal) pitch. Could pitch with either hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krbY20fKHWw Cotton falls down out of his stance...ugh. Downright embarrassing.

Honorable mentions:

Nebraska verse Ball State. a dropped pass and missed FG at home that would have beat NU at home...absurd.

Sam Keller knocking out the Missouri fan.

Late hit call on Courtney Osborne against AM. Glad to be out of that crappy conference and paid off referees.

Kenny Bell vs Wisky. LOL Legal hit.

Nate Gerry getting ejected verse Iowa and UCLA.

OU and Keith Jackson....yeah lived it.