*** 2019 Recruiting ***

I'm adding WR to my concerns for this class. 

We have Nance (who I don't necessarily think is a game changer). The other 4 guys that have visited/shown interest are committed elsewhere or leaning heavily elsewhere.

Outside if JD we haven't had a current player show us much/any reason for confidence next year.

Who are our remaining legitimate targets? Hoping Trustin Oliver qualifies academically is the only one I can think of. 

• Plus1 1

Just now, Warrior10 said:

I'm adding WR to my concerns for this class. 

We have Nance (who I don't necessarily think is a game changer). The other 4 guys that have visited/shown interest are committed elsewhere or leaning heavily elsewhere.

Outside if JD we haven't had a current player show us much/any reason for confidence next year.

Who are our remaining legitimate targets? Hoping Trustin Oliver qualifies academically is the only one I can think of. 

Any possible Grad Transfers from UCF?

3 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

4 star recruiting for Nebraska over the past few years according to 247

Lindsey-Gone

Blades-Never made it

Roberts-Gone

Gebbia-Gone

McQuitty-Battling injuries

KJJ-Gone

Jackson-underperforming

Rairdon-Not seeing the field

POB-Gone

Dismuke-Playing-Serviceable

Farniok-Graded well in last game according to BTN-Serviceable

Lee-Mostly underperformed but is now a starter

Barnett-Gone

Stevenson-Gone

Anderson-Rarely sees the field

Farmer-Serviceable at times

Gates-Left early for NFL.  Serviceable

Foster-Serviceable

Newby-Good

Gregory-Amazing

Taylor-Never played

Banderas-Serviceable

Stanton-transfer

Newby (LB)-Serviceable

Natter-Rarely played

Thurston-Transfered

McMullen-Transfered

Westerkamp-Damn good

Cross-Good

Armstrong-Good

Rose-Ivey-Good when healthy

Afalava-Left team

Seisay-Serviceable

Green-Transfered

Turner-Not too good

Jackson-Rarely played-Injured

Starling-Never made it

Moore-Transfered

Stafford-Pretty good

Peat-Transfered

Reeves-?

Klachko-Transfered

Heard-Transfered

Rodriguez-Serviceable

Cooper-Okay

Hardrick-Pretty good

Rome-Transfered

Green-Transfered

Ankrah-Serviceable

Washington-?

Williams-No idea who this is

Steinkuhler-Serviceable

Compton-Very good

Williams-No idea who this is

54 4 stars since 2008-2017

18 (33%) Transferred before eligibility was up

2 Never made it on the team

5 never have or rarely play(ed)

11 I would say played or are playing a serviceable role.  

2 Underperforming 

4 I have no idea what their contribution was

12 Good to Great (in my humble opinion)

12 4 stars out of 54 in 10 recruiting classes.  That preformed at about or above their recruiting ranking

11 4 stars playing at or below their ranking

We need better

2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

That is all just very very depressing.  But....is a major MAJOR reason why we are where we are.

I'll give an opinion on why I think our highest rated players have not panned out.  This is an example from the Riley era and I'll admit I don't know how this would have played out under Bo.

I have a friend whose son walked on as an LB.  This kid could hit harder than anyone I've ever seen play HS football around here.  After his Junior year, he quit and I was surprised but never really inquired as to why.

A few weeks ago the Dad opened up about what the final straw was.  The Dad was at practice one day and saw his first hand.  They were doing tackling drills.  The kid I know, supposedly totally lit up a scholarship RB.  He thought he had done something really good.  When he turned around, Diaco was in his face yelling at him...pissed off.....telling him to go sit on the bench for the rest of practice and NEVER embarrass a scholarship player again on his practice field.

The kid quit the next day.

We have got to get to the point where these guys coming in are instilled with the idea that their ranking or scholarship status has NOTHING to do with if they get playing time.  Once they are here, it's all a competition to get on the field and you will be competing with EVERYONE.

I FIRMLY believe this is what Frost is trying to instill into the system and I completely support him.

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'll give an opinion on why I think our highest rated players have not panned out.  This is an example from the Riley era and I'll admit I don't know how this would have played out under Bo.

I have a friend whose son walked on as an LB.  This kid could hit harder than anyone I've ever seen play HS football around here.  After his Junior year, he quit and I was surprised but never really inquired as to why.

A few weeks ago the Dad opened up about what the final straw was.  The Dad was at practice one day and saw his first hand.  They were doing tackling drills.  The kid I know, supposedly totally lit up a scholarship RB.  He thought he had done something really good.  When he turned around, Diaco was in his face yelling at him...pissed off.....telling him to go sit on the bench for the rest of practice and NEVER embarrass a scholarship player again on his practice field.

We have got to get to the point where these guys coming in are instilled with the idea that their ranking or scholarship status has NOTHING to do with if they get playing time.  Once they are here, it's all a competition to get on the field and you will be competing with EVERYONE.

I FIRMLY believe this is what Frost is trying to instill into the system and I completely support him.

Oh my god. If that’s the culture we were instilling in our Players than lord help us. Thank god we have Frost.

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Would not surprise me one bit that Diaco would do something like that.

10 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Oh my god. If that’s the culture we were instilling in our Players than lord help us. Thank god we have Frost.

2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Would not surprise me one bit that Diaco would do something like that.

I can't think of why the Dad that I know would have made up the story.  He actually played smaller college football and understands the issues around teams and programs.

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Thank you for this story. Unfortunately, I am not surprised. Coaches do this a lot actually. Scholarship guys are just valued more by the coaches, even if they are consistently being outplayed by walk-ons. There is a lot that goes into protecting scholarship players that many don't think about off the top of their heads. For example, not utilizing, developing, or "protecting" a scholarship player could get back to the player's hs coach, and he might not recommend another one of his athletes to that coach. Many coaches take pride in their evaluation and recruiting so much that they become stubborn to ever play the walk-on who is clearly better. Our own staff does this. I have on good authority that Ethan Cox is much better than LJ, but of course the scholarship guy gets the nod. Scholarships are investments that coaches feel they need to exhaust until it proves insufficient, and even then.... It's the awful politics of college football.

49 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Diaco must have hated Rudy.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Vince R. said:

Thank you for this story. Unfortunately, I am not surprised. Coaches do this a lot actually. Scholarship guys are just valued more by the coaches, even if they are consistently being outplayed by walk-ons. There is a lot that goes into protecting scholarship players that many don't think about off the top of their heads. For example, not utilizing, developing, or "protecting" a scholarship player could get back to the player's hs coach, and he might not recommend another one of his athletes to that coach. Many coaches take pride in their evaluation and recruiting so much that they become stubborn to ever play the walk-on who is clearly better. Our own staff does this. I have on good authority that Ethan Cox is much better than LJ, but of course the scholarship guy gets the nod. Scholarships are investments that coaches feel they need to exhaust until it proves insufficient, and even then.... It's the awful politics of college football.

Oh, but we will start Warner over Lindsey? 

1 hour ago, Vince R. said:

I think I’d rather they protect the walkon program by giving fair shakes to the walkon players rather then some HS coach sending us soft entitled players. It’s up to the scholarship players to protect their starting status. I assume that’s what you mean by protecting?  Disco is an idiot.

5 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I think I’d rather they protect the walkon program by giving fair shakes to the walkon players rather then some HS coach sending us soft entitled players. It’s up to the scholarship players to protect their starting status. I assume that’s what you mean by protecting?  Disco is an idiot.

In theory you are correct, but it just isn't reality. There are so many different factors beyond my one example. The point is that many coaches will exhaust every option with a scholarship player before they plug in the walk-on.