New Turf In Hawks Championship Center

Most indoor practice facilities look like this. A big metal building simply used to protect from weather.

Nebraskas facilities surrounding it are outstanding! The locker rooms, walkways, film rooms, the upper deck w seating and rails for viewing practices by guests...it's pretty nice really.

• Fire 1

"New Turf in Tom Osborne field"

Wishful thinking ..... I like to tear down fake turf and replace with natural, beautiful, nice odor, less nagging injuries (i.e. T-Mart, Helu & some more), cool and soft grass surface. Unfortunately I believe only four B1G home venues played in natural grass .... Michigan St, Penn St, Northwestern and Purdue. Only four .... why?

A recent survey of 1,511 active NFL players by the NFL players association found that 73% of the players preferred playing on a natural grass system, while only 18% preferred artificial turf

Wishful thinking ..... I like to tear down fake turf and replace with natural, beautiful, nice odor, less nagging injuries (i.e. T-Mart, Helu & some more), cool and soft grass surface. Unfortunately I believe only four B1G home venues played in natural grass .... Michigan St, Penn St, Northwestern and Purdue. Only four .... why?

Why? Because October, November and December in the Big 10:

Bills-governor-impractical-317.png

Those look like ideal conditions - would we go with shade tolerant???

Snow is a part of football. Anyway, Denver Broncos, Green Bay, Chicago Bears, Eagles, Steelers and some more played in natural grass.

Snow is a part of football. Anyway, Denver Broncos, Green Bay, Chicago Bears, Eagles, Steelers and some more played in natural grass.

Yep and all of those fields often look like sh#t by the end of the season, and are a big time injury hazard.

• Fire 1

Yep and all of those fields often look like sh#t by the end of the season, and are a big time injury hazard.

just look at the final Pitt vs WVU game played. It was at the end of the season and the field was basically dirt.

I've never understood why the university doesn't tarp up Memorial Stadiums' turf in the offseason. The Hawks Championship Center was finished at roughly the same time that the North stadium expansion was, which means it was right after the new turf installed for the 2005 season in the stadium. That turf was replaced in 2013 when it looked way beyond due, yet the indoor turf has lasted over 3 years longer?

I've never understood why the university doesn't tarp up Memorial Stadiums' turf in the offseason. The Hawks Championship Center was finished at roughly the same time that the North stadium expansion was, which means it was right after the new turf installed for the 2005 season in the stadium. That turf was replaced in 2013 when it looked way beyond due, yet the indoor turf has lasted over 3 years longer?

trust me, hawks was just as bad. A major telltale sign that a field is worn out is when it starts to cake your cleats with the plastic grass. When I had the opportunity to go the high school camps a few years ago, both fields would do that equally. I'm guessing that since hawks field is never on national TV like memorial stadium is and due to how expensive replacing the turf can be, there was less of a rush to get it replaced like the field in memorial stadium.

trust me, hawks was just as bad. A major telltale sign that a field is worn out is when it starts to cake your cleats with the plastic grass. When I had the opportunity to go the high school camps a few years ago, both fields would do that equally. I'm guessing that since hawks field is never on national TV like memorial stadium is and due to how expensive replacing the turf can be, there was less of a rush to get it replaced like the field in memorial stadium.

Sure but Hawks also probably gets 10x the usage as far as bodies on it than Memorial does.

I still think it would make a lot of sense fiscally to keep that thing protected from the environment in the offseason and that would result in at least another year or two in between having to get new turf.

Sure but Hawks also probably gets 10x the usage as far as bodies on it than Memorial does.

I still think it would make a lot of sense fiscally to keep that thing protected from the environment in the offseason and that would result in at least another year or two in between having to get new turf.

I agree and what you say makes sense, but wasn't there a big donation for the new memorial field, or am I thinking of the outside practice field?

Maintenance

It is a myth that synthetic fields require less maintenance than natural turfgrass fields or to say that artificial turf fields are maintenance free. Synthetic fields require 1) additional infill, 2) irrigation because of unacceptably high temperatures on warm-sunny days, 3) chemical disinfectants, 4) sprays to reduce static cling and odors, 5) drainage repair and maintenance, 6) erasing and repainting temporary lines, and 7) removing organic matter accumulation. In a recent presentation by the Michigan State University, Certified Sports Turf Manager, she cited that the typical annual maintenance costs of her artificial turf fields ranged from $13,720-$39,220, while the typical annual maintenance costs of her natural turf fields had a similar range of $8,133-$48,960 (1).

Long-term costs

Long-term costs are less with natural turf fields compared to synthetic turf fields. Artificial fields need replacing every 8-10 years, whereas a natural turf field does not need as frequent renovation and can be renovated at a much reduced price compared to an artificial field. In a 16-year scenario, Fresenburg came up with an annual average cost for each field type as follows: the natural soil-based field, $33,522; the sand-cap grass field, $49,318; the basic synthetic field, $65,846; and the premium synthetic field, $109,013 (2).

Disposal costs

When artificial turf (in-fill systems) needs renovating every 8-10 years, there is a hidden cost of disposal. Because the field is filled and top-dressed with a crumb rubber material (typically made from ground automobile tires), the material may require special disposal. Disposal costs are estimated at $130,000 plus transportation and landfill charges (3).

pay me now or pay me later ......

Me=Hank Hill (King of Hill show)

I will gladly volunteer ground keeper crew free of charge