Way too early... Who redshirts?

http://hailvarsity.com/news/to-redshirt-or-not-to-redshirt/2016/06/

I know it's too early to have an idea considering fall practice hasn't started. I think they have too many playing early with who is ahead of them on the depth chart but it's a good breakdown of our incoming players at their respective positions.

My guesses at who plays: Lamar Jackson, Derion Grim, tre Bryant, either Ben stille or Collin Miller, and I think Dismuke plays special teams. Just purely on their athletic ability coming out of high school.

• Fire 3

I feel the best players should and NEED to play. We don't have the luxury to simply wait until they are totally physically and mentally ready after a couple years of redshit and frosh 3rd string status. BUT, on the other hand, if the Coaches don't serious give the guys who don't redshit some significant playing time so they gain the year's experience and make a contribution to the season's outcomes, then a redshit is a given.

Tre Bryant certainly appears to me to be a future contributor but if Riley & Co use a three back rotation / committee approach, then I doubt Tre gets a year's worth out of being 4th or 5th string. Now he is quite likely a contributor on special teams and that is not without value. But, I think your star potential guys redshirt if they don't make the 2 deep. We have lots of receivers at this time so unless Grimm and or Spiehlman are returning quite a few kicks/punts, then they should redshirt unless they are starting. Linemen, backers, secondary are all in need of being pushed for roles so give every new guy a true, honest and sincere shot to contribute now.

Just look at the underclassmen we had on the field last year. Nick Gates, Devine Ozigbo, Dedrick Young, Freedom Akinmoladun, Chris Jones. This staff is clearly more willing to play underclassmen than the last guy. So it's impossible to predict who will, or won't, redshirt. Who knows, we could even have a starter or two out of the '16 class. Or at least a couple who contribute regularly.

I agree with the take. But I wouldn't play Tre Bryant, we have plenty of options at RB for right now I would think. And I would like to see Farniok get playing time this year.

But I'm just a guy on a message board, what do I know.

Yes, it looks like we have plenty of options at RB, but Bryant may be the best combination of skills that the coaches are looking for. If he can come in and make a difference, it would be good to see him play.

I am going to send a raven to Coach Riley's office so he gets this message in time for fall camp.

If they are clearly a top 2 unit player than they play and don't RS. That is and always has been the rule of thumb when looking at incoming freshman. Most thought Stanley Morgan was a RS candidate, but even before DPE injury he was showing he was ready to play. DB and skill players are usually the big candidates to play early. Linemen usually need to be pretty special to forgo a RS season.

Just look at the underclassmen we had on the field last year. Nick Gates, Devine Ozigbo, Dedrick Young, Freedom Akinmoladun, Chris Jones. This staff is clearly more willing to play underclassmen than the last guy. So it's impossible to predict who will, or won't, redshirt. Who knows, we could even have a starter or two out of the '16 class. Or at least a couple who contribute regularly.

Not sure that's really the case. We've usually played a decent number of true Freshmen. Ameer Abdullah, Aaron Green, Braylon Heard, Andrew Rodriguez, Ciante Evans, Jamal Turner, Imani Cross, Aaron Curry, Terrell Newby, Cethan Carter, Maliek Collins, Kevin Maurice, Josh Banderas, Nathan Gerry, DPE, Chris Jones, Josh Kalu and Kieron Williams all played their first year. Plus the OT that transferred to Florida - his name escapes me right now.

Last year we played Ozigbo, Morgan, Ferguson, Young, Williams Reed and Ober. Seems like there's usually 6-7 who play right away. Not many linemen but RBs, LBs and DBs with the occasional WR.

As for this class:

Likely redshirt: POB ( :( ), Bryant, Spielman, Stoll, Engelhaupt, Wilson, Raridon, Brokop, Farniok, Stille, Bootle, Butler, Lightbourn

Likely playing: Grim, Jackson

I'd say the LBs won't play much defense but could get in on special teams: Simmons, Alexander, Jefferson

Not sure about Miller, Dismuke and Domann. I think Miller probably redshirts but we'll have to see what happens at DE. Dismuke and Domann also might have a shot on special teams.

• Fire 1
  • 1 month later...

Just noticed that Pernell Jefferson was given the same number as Alex Davis. Considering Davis is expected to at least get a shot at DE, that would seem like Jefferson would be expected to redshirt. Not that they can't change jersey numbers but they usually try to stay away from that.

As for this class:

Likely redshirt: POB ( :( ), Bryant, Spielman, Stoll, Engelhaupt, Wilson, Raridon, Brokop, Farniok, Stille, Bootle, Butler, Lightbourn

Likely playing: Grim, Jackson

I'd say the LBs won't play much defense but could get in on special teams: Simmons, Alexander, Jefferson

Not sure about Miller, Dismuke and Domann. I think Miller probably redshirts but we'll have to see what happens at DE. Dismuke and Domann also might have a shot on special teams.

Basically agree with this.

I think the LBs/Dismuke/Domann are candidates for special teams, similar to Furguson/Reed last year.

Is JD fully recovered? Could he factor in on punt return?

Grim has a tough job to crack the WR rotation. He was here in the spring, so maybe he can do it.

Bryant could make it, but he would have to probably pass both Wilbon/Taylor. Last year everyone though Zig was going to RS, so who knows.

Unfortunately I'll probably have to change Lightbourn from a likely redshirt to likely playing now.....

I think so sadly, unless Brown will fill in or someone else?

We have heard POB got the redshirt, wasn't happy, but seems to be coming round to taking it and moving on. That leaves Tre Bryant as the last one we don't know much about. Some 'experts' claim he's good enough to crack to rotation. It will be interesting to see what happens in fall camp.

Unfortunately I'll probably have to change Lightbourn from a likely redshirt to likely playing now.....

I think so sadly, unless Brown will fill in or someone else?

We have heard POB got the redshirt, wasn't happy, but seems to be coming round to taking it and moving on. That leaves Tre Bryant as the last one we don't know much about. Some 'experts' claim he's good enough to crack to rotation. It will be interesting to see what happens in fall camp.

Yeah, I've seen Bryant's name thrown around quite a bit. I think he has talent but I don't think he's going to make much of a difference this year. It would be pretty shocking if he was higher than third and not likely to be higher than fourth. Last year our fourth-leading RB got nine carries (though that could change if we don't run the FB as much). Doesn't seem to be worth wasting a year, imo.