Steele predicts major strides for Huskers!

I am not a Steel fan but just some more to chew on.

“They had five last second losses last year”, said Steele. “That means they were five plays away from being an 11-2 team last year. I think they are going to be way under the radar heading into the season and I think you are going to see a much improved Nebraska this year.”

~Phil Steel

Link to Phil Steel article.

http://nebraskaradionetwork.com/2016/06/09/steele-predicts-major-strides-for-huskers

• Fire 2

It's still crazy to think that the same team that went 6-7 could have gone 11-2.

Homer logic would suggest that means we see HUGE upswings towards finishing out games and getting the W en route to 11 wins looking at our schedule.

Detractor logic would point out that since those 5 games were essentially lost due to questionable management, there is nothing concrete to suggest that problem goes away.

• Fire 1

Simple logic and many years of watching football in general (pro, college, HS, etc) suggests that a second straight season filled with last second heroics by either or both teams won't happen. That would argue that either the Huskers will win most of their games or they could lose most of them BUT we won't have to suffer through those gut wrenching, cardiac stress filled nail biters over and over again. I am in the camp that we make a couple substantial improvements overall as a team, mostly because of the team having another full year of the Riley and mostly intact coaching staff systems in place. There are always new things but this year they should be minor compared to system wide revamping. Retention and understanding by every returning player should be dramatically better and this should allow, presumably, for more repetitions with clearly improved execution. Simply put, this year, most of the guys will be fine tuning and really working of 'execution' as opposed to trying to figure out what to do, where and when and with whom to do it. Sharp execution (receivers running the right routes, the QB knowing the routes they are running, will improve passing completions presumably. Running backs will run through the right holes, block the right defenders and enable a no gain play to become a 4 yard gain. These are drive makers that change field position, end in points and lead to wins!

It's still crazy to think that the same team that went 6-7 could have gone 11-2.

Homer logic would suggest that means we see HUGE upswings towards finishing out games and getting the W en route to 11 wins looking at our schedule.

Detractor logic would point out that since those 5 games were essentially lost due to questionable management, there is nothing concrete to suggest that problem goes away.

Isn't this basically what people were debating between Iowa and Nebraska in another thread? How every stat except turnovers were pretty equal and Nebraska could have been in Iowa's position instead.

Isn't this basically what people were debating between Iowa and Nebraska in another thread? How every stat except turnovers were pretty equal and Nebraska could have been in Iowa's position instead.

That debate would be more about whats the difference between a 5-7 team and 12-0 team in the same season.

This is more about a teams progression from year 1 to year 2 in a new system.

That debate would be more about whats the difference between a 5-7 team and 12-0 team in the same season.

I feel ya. I was just thinking about the point of how close we were to being a 10win team, as opposed to the 6 win team.

The issue isn't just that we had those last second losses.

A last second loss to Ohio State is worlds apart from a last second loss to Illinois.

Riley's "transition" year was a disaster.

I am optimistic. For the simple fact this is year 2 in the system. They improved towards the end and some guys who "might" not have bought on are gone and those still here seem to now be on board. Player wise, we are passing the all important "eye ball" test.

Those are the reasons for me. The Huskers should never have to struggle with the like of Illinois, Purdue etc.... Never.

The issue isn't just that we had those last second losses.

A last second loss to Ohio State is worlds apart from a last second loss to Illinois.

Riley's "transition" year was a disaster.

I am optimistic. For the simple fact this is year 2 in the system. They improved towards the end and some guys who "might" not have bought on are gone and those still here seem to now be on board. Player wise, we are passing the all important "eye ball" test.

Those are the reasons for me. The Huskers should never have to struggle with the like of Illinois, Purdue etc.... Never.

Getting their recruits, their system, and players that want to be there gives me reason to chill for another season...maybe 2, before I hang my hat on a solid opinion. Until then, I'll have a fluid opinion and hang onto optimism.

1st year under Stoops' helm, 6 wins and 5 losses, barely .500 standings. 2nd year ........... national champs. MR=Stoops :dunno

However, Callahan. In the 1st year, 5W and 6L. Following 2 seasons, improvement (8-4 then 9-5) but 4th season, fired, get out of town

It's well and good to have opinions on how Nebraska is going to do this season, but who really knows for sure. One thing I know for sure is I was excited by what I saw at the end of the season and we have a lot of unknown quantities on this years team.

I would also like to point out that Urban Meyer is also at Ohio State and they recruit really well not to say he isnt a good couch, but top shelf recruits help out alot.