Gun Control

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Oh yeah....we shouldn't worry about who owns guns.

Why did he want to do that?

Most people don't have criminal records that won't allow them to get these guns as statistics show. You can't deny someone based off your perception of them. You don't agree that AR's should be banned? 

2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Most people don't have criminal records that won't allow them to get these guns as statistics show. You can't deny someone based off your perception of them. You don't agree that AR's should be banned? 

I have no problem with ARs being banned.  I have friends who own them and I have never heard one of them give a good reason why they should be legal.

12 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I guess I'm confused on the stance of your comment then 

It baffles me that someone can work hard to buy enough guns and ammo, sneak them all into a hotel into a room that is positioned perfectly above a crowd like this, set everything up and then shoot hundreds of people killing 50+......and we don't think it's important to study and figure out mentally what is wrong with this man that makes him want to do this in the first place?

I am all for banning bump stocks and semi-automatic weapons (to a certain extent).  I'm all for waiting periods to purchase a gun.  I'm all for raising the age to purchase certain guns.  I'm all for gun restraining orders.  

But....to just focus on that doesn't do justice to the problems in our society that make people actually want to do this.

We can do all of this at the same time.

Edited by BigRedBuster
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It baffles me that someone can work hard to buy enough guns and ammo, sneak them all into a hotel into a room that is positioned perfectly above a crowd like this, set everything up and then shoot hundreds of people killing 50+......and we don't think it's important to study and figure out mentally what is wrong with this man that makes him want to do this in the first place?

I am all for banning bump stocks and semi-automatic weapons (to a certain extent).  I'm all for waiting periods to purchase a gun.  I'm all for raising the age to purchase certain guns.  I'm all for gun restraining orders.  

But....to just focus on that doesn't do justice to the problems in our society that make people actually want to do this.

We can do all of this at the same time.

I agree we can take further measures on mental health, but we will never be able to foresee the mental instability of these people. Being bullied or not having a stable home are two factors that have been in play in the past with these massacres. The facts are facts though. Auto/Semi-auto weapons and bump stocks should not be allowed. I've said before that it is far easier to change the obvious flaws of the system then to try and change the minds of these 'unstable' people. 

31 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

but we will never be able to foresee the mental instability of these people.

That's nothing more than a defeatist attitude and an excuse not to do anything about it.  It's the same as someone saying, well, we will never get all the semi-automatic weapons off the streets so we shouldn't ban them.

i will repeat my stance on what i think could be done.   note this doesn't ban any guns at all.   jsut some ideas to decrease the carnage that might meet the middle ground between those who want no rules on guns and those who want to ban them all.

1.   ban bump stocks.   if someone goes nuts and wants to cause mass destruction let them take the time to pull that trigger that many times instead of having the gun shoot them as fast as possible.   the las vegas shooter could not have shot 900 people without that device.   maybe 150-200.   still a horrible scene at that...but better than 900.  add in number 2 and slow them down even further with 

2.   limit large capacity magazines.    seriously....3-5 shots is all a hunter needs at most.   anything more in a semi-auto is designed to help kill as many people as possible as fast as possible.  make them reload the gun 6 time with 5 shots clips instead of once with a 30 round clip.  

3.  7-10 day waiting period.    let's the background checks have time to be done correctly (hopefully) and serves as a cooldown period for people who are purchasing with angry intent

4.   limit the sales of guns to the mentally ill.   i know that some will disagree with this....but seriously....you don't need to tell me that people who are shooting other people are nuts....they are.  let's try to limit how many of them can get guns.  

5.   any suggestions?

Edited by commando
thanks for the numbers moraine. updated the numbers here
  • Plus1 1

1 minute ago, commando said:

1.   ban bump stocks.   if someone goes nuts and wants to cause mass destruction let them take the time to pull that trigger that many times instead of having the gun shoot them as fast as possible.   the las vegas shooter could not have shot 600 people without that device.   maybe 150-200.   still a horrible scene at that...but better than 600.  add in number 2 and slow them down even further with

I just looked it up because I didn't realize it was that high, and there were 909 people dead or injured.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I just looked it up because I didn't realize it was that high, and there were 909 people dead or injured.

thanks for looking that up.   not sure why i remembered only 600.   i updated my original post.   the las vegas shooter caused as many casualties as the united states suffered in the 48 day battle for felujah...the worst battle in the irag invasion.   it's pure crazy that we allowed people to buy bump stocks and those huge ammo clips he had....and still allow them

Edited by commando
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's nothing more than a defeatist attitude and an excuse not to do anything about it.  It's the same as someone saying, well, we will never get all the semi-automatic weapons off the streets so we shouldn't ban them.

I'm leaning towards you're sneakily saying you don't want to ban guns, and are more concerned on the mental health of people. That or you think you can fully fix the issue which isn't possible. We can however for sure limit these situations which is what we should be worried about. 

1 hour ago, commando said:

i will repeat my stance on what i think could be done.   note this doesn't ban any guns at all.   jsut some ideas to decrease the carnage that might meet the middle ground between those who want no rules on guns and those who want to ban them all.

1.   ban bump stocks.   if someone goes nuts and wants to cause mass destruction let them take the time to pull that trigger that many times instead of having the gun shoot them as fast as possible.   the las vegas shooter could not have shot 900 people without that device.   maybe 150-200.   still a horrible scene at that...but better than 900.  add in number 2 and slow them down even further with 

2.   limit large capacity magazines.    seriously....3-5 shots is all a hunter needs at most.   anything more in a semi-auto is designed to help kill as many people as possible as fast as possible.  make them reload the gun 6 time with 5 shots clips instead of once with a 30 round clip.  

3.  7-10 day waiting period.    let's the background checks have time to be done correctly (hopefully) and serves as a cooldown period for people who are purchasing with angry intent

4.   limit the sales of guns to the mentally ill.   i know that some will disagree with this....but seriously....you don't need to tell me that people who are shooting other people are nuts....they are.  let's try to limit how many of them can get guns.  

5.   any suggestions?

Those seem like pretty reasonable restrictions to me. 

1 hour ago, commando said:

5.   any suggestions?

Here are some of mine:

• Make auto/semi autos illegal - all states.
  • Make bump stocks and silencers illegal - all states.
  • Background checks required - all states.
  • No same day sales and require 3week wait time for possession/ownership.
  • Limit total number of guns liscensed to any one person and establish a max number of guns liscenses to any one household.
  • No sales to anyone under the age of 21.
  • No sales to people with mental health records.
  • No sale and removal of guns to anyone accused or convicted of abuse of another person or animal.
  • Require passing of gun saftey class and photo liscense annually for all gun owners.  
  • Required classwork and testing/certification for any business in order to sell guns.  
  • Demand businesses who sell guns have some culpibility for whom they sell to.
  • Allow manufacturers to be sued for misuse.
  • Establish a max number of guns that can be produced by any one manufacturer per year.
  • No gun ownership for convicted felons for 5+ years.  
  • Make personal gun tax annual and a premium price per gun.  
  • Demand gunnowners have personal insurance for ownership.
  • Price guns similar to vehicles.

The one I struggle with is the "mental health record".  There is so much gray.  Stats show who we should be most worried about are abusers, I worry that the basic depressed person who is on (or was on) and controlled with meds would be bucketed in and that's not neccessarily appropriate.  

• Plus1 1