Gun Control

2 hours ago, NM11046 said:

Here are some of mine:

• Make auto/semi autos illegal - all states.  autos are already illegal.   doubt there is any political will to ban semi-auto
  • Make bump stocks and silencers illegal - all states.  agree 100% on the bump stocks.  not sure the silencers make any difference
  • Background checks required - all states.   i really have no idea how it is now.  i would hope there are already background checks everywhere...but if not...add them
  • No same day sales and require 3week wait time for possession/ownership.  essentially the same as me..i said 7-10 days....but any cooldown time is good IMO
  • Limit total number of guns liscensed to any one person and establish a max number of guns liscenses to any one household.  gun collectors will hate this. won't happen
  • No sales to anyone under the age of 21.   already 21 for pistols.   maybe do the same for semi-auto rifles?  that would still let them hunt.   
  • No sales to people with mental health records.   yeah
  • No sale and removal of guns to anyone accused or convicted of abuse of another person or animal.   hmmm....maybe.  would like to see the studies
  • Require passing of gun saftey class and photo liscense annually for all gun owners.  i like the safety class idea.  but renew every year?    that's harsh
  • Required classwork and testing/certification for any business in order to sell guns.    no idea how it works now...but would hope there are already some regulations
  • Demand businesses who sell guns have some culpibility for whom they sell to.   i don't see the political will for that to happen
  • Allow manufacturers to be sued for misuse.   yeah...this certainly won't happen.   
  • Establish a max number of guns that can be produced by any one manufacturer per year.  wow....this has less than a snowballs chance in hell.  lol
  • No gun ownership for convicted felons for 5+ years.  i can see this....have to think about if i support or not.  i mean if they are out of jail they have paid their price.  not sure
  • Make personal gun tax annual and a premium price per gun.   a bit excessive...but if it can raise money i am sure it will be looked at.  
  • Demand gunnowners have personal insurance for ownership.   liability insurance to pay medical and damages bills?  
  • Price guns similar to vehicles.  don't give the gun manufacturers any ideas.  lol.   some are already there.

The one I struggle with is the "mental health record".  There is so much gray.  Stats show who we should be most worried about are abusers, I worry that the basic depressed person who is on (or was on) and controlled with meds would be bucketed in and that's not neccessarily appropriate.  can see the point here.   would be nice i the cdc wasn't banned from studying this

3 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

I'm leaning towards you're sneakily saying you don't want to ban guns, and are more concerned on the mental health of people. That or you think you can fully fix the issue which isn't possible. We can however for sure limit these situations which is what we should be worried about. 

What in the wholly hell are you talking about?  

From Sarah Zhang in The Atlantichttps://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/02/gun-violence-public-health/553430/

Before he died, Dickey himself co-authored an op-ed arguing for more gun violence research -- with Mark Rosenberg, the CDC official who fought his original rider in the mid-90s. Here it is, from 2012, in WaPo: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/we-wont-know-the-cause-of-gun-violence-until-we-look-for-it/2012/07/27/gJQAPfenEX_story.html?utm_term=.887cf9e976e3 

Pretty sure we (as in, Democrats in Congress) have tried this before and it's failed because of the sheer political costs of going against the NRA. Most recently it was in 2015. Republicans are staunch and even red state Democrats feel the pressure to be "moderate".

We're not going to get anywhere with accommodation. Take the fight right to the NRA. A 100% NRA rating should be a badge of shame.

Edited by zoogs